1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

1. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Member

I'm pretty sure if I can get Nelson without having to drive to alpine for my 4 bottles every week (if available of course) I may drink little else.
  2. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Member

Wonder if it's 50/50 they are contracting with(if 50/50 has extra capacity). They pull water off the Truckee which feeds off Lake Tahoe which is pretty damn pure.
  3. gregmoscetti

gregmoscetti Member

lets get some Los Angeles distro first... hell we're 2 hours away and I haven't seen a bottle of nelson in about 6 months.
    Angst and Pelican5 like this.
  4. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

The water source they will be using will not come from CA, the west coast or Colorado.
  5. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

Pretty sure logsdon is Lime
    huadog likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Member

Will it be sourced east of the Mississippi? If so, it must be Memphis!
  7. jp7161

jp7161 Member

I could be wrong. Whole Food in Laguna told me Artisan.
  8. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

Norcal and socal distribute differently, also with sf compared to the bay area different distributors carry the same beer depending on where the business is located
  9. luwak

luwak Member

This website should come witha disclaimer....I need to get more pants for emergency changes........just cleaned up after reading about FW sour program.

All i can say is: MORE APLINE? HUZZZAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Whomever has the ability to bottle with this is probably getting the contract....just sayin'...
    Jspriest likes this.
  11. CelticAleMan

CelticAleMan Member

In Socal, Logsdon is distributed by Artisan Ales. They are talking about Artisan Distributing in the SF Bay area.
  12. APreacher

APreacher Member

The Artisan website has Alpine on their homepage... You are right. At least here in S0-CAL.
  13. PeterJ

PeterJ Member

I'm talking about Amy. She's Heathers partner. Amy was in charge of marketing for 50/50. Heather was with Artisan up north (known as Celebrated Ales in SoCal). I don't know why I spelled it "artesian." Typo I guess.

Anyway, some stores got pissed off because they were promised a certain allocation by Artesan/Celebrated and obviously they couldn't deliver because they don't distribute 50/50 anymore. That's probably why City didn't order Eclipse.
  14. MaltMilkshake

MaltMilkshake Member

they do distribute. you just have to go to their front counter.
  15. ahawkman

ahawkman Member

I wonder whether Alpine ever raised any money for their "in-town" expansion plans about a year ago. They put out a prospectus and had people sign up, etc. Don't know if it ever progressed beyond that.
  16. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Member

I wonder this as well. I asked them what they were looking for, they told me investors that could offer six figures. I wonder how many of those they found.
  17. PeterJ

PeterJ Member

I'd invest in a heartbeat
  18. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

Yes and no.
  19. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

Oskar Blues' Asheville, North Carolina brewery...
    franklinn and Chaz like this.
  20. woosterbill

woosterbill Member

Here's hoping it's Two Roads; they have tons of extra capacity and the brewing know-how to maintain quality. Not sure about their water source, though...
  21. evilc

evilc Member

A lot more to making money in the beer business than just having good beer.....

Risky investment.
    PeterJ likes this.
  22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Just tell us where!
  23. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Member

Highly doubtful. Doesn't make sense to contract w/ a brewery that small, that is prolly at 100% output, with more expensive real estate.

Not sure about them pulling water from the Truckee River. Its not like the brewery is on the river (1/2 mile away?), and riparian rights for the Truckee were generally established long before FiftyFifty came around, they rarely transfer, they're the focus of tons of litigation etc. . .

Maybe they do, but I'd bet no. Ask BA Tashbrew if you want to know for sure.
  24. PeterJ

PeterJ Member

Of course. It would depend on how much control they gave their investors. I guess I should have said "I would invest in a heartbeat if they would let me tell them how to sell their beer" lol.
  25. jwjon1

jwjon1 Member

ArrogantB nailed it? Asheville? I've heard this rumor before....

They do have tasty water.
  26. badbeer

badbeer Member

Cold Spring Brewing?
    Chaz and sbuysse like this.
  27. Chaz

Chaz Member

Well, they are a Craft brewery (and offer a full range of packaging) and also possess some capacity, but I'd hedge my bet on a co-packing agreement at Asheville.
  28. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

Has no one mentioned sierra nevada yet? The ability to can, easy distro to sac and the bay and unless Pat was bluffing tonight at citybeer there is someone beside oskar blues expanding capacity in asheville. Not to mention the water doesn't get much better than whats coming from the sierras.
  29. jwjon1

jwjon1 Member

Well, Sierra and New Belgium have both also invested in facilities near Asheville... it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that with Alpine's connections to New Belgium (and two solid collaborations), this is the right contract fit. Also not a stretch--if the Alpine Alumi-Tec package is for real--to envision New Belgium going this packing route, what with their firm commitment to environmental sustainability.

Speculation is fun!
  30. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

Omg, so does this actually mean I have a chance to try some of these amazing IPAs?!!! Color me excite!
  31. Cazlo

Cazlo Member

My sources originally told me around the Minneapolis area, but Asheville would make sense too. In any case, 16oz cans of Duet, Nelson and Hoppy Birthday are gonna be awesome, no matter where they come from!
  32. klaybie

klaybie Member

Lets get some Central IL distro! Woooo!! No but seriously..
  33. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Member

Nervous about this. :confused:
  34. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

All of this talk of water. Water can be treated to get the profile you want. There are a lot of breweries in SD, which has pretty crappy water, but it can make some good IPAs.

If this expansion happens in say Ashville, the brewery will need a lot of shipping pallets of gypsum to make those beers.
  35. sdpaul

sdpaul Member

They need to bottle Bad Boy and Hoppy Birthday..I hope this move doesn't mess up the QC.I know Alpine has had issues with some flat beers..maybe this move either improves it or makes it worse
  36. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Member

That would be amazing, we'd get distro then!
  37. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

A beer being contract-brewed in a state does not insure that it will be distributed in that state.
  38. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Brewing a beer and bottling it in the 16oz cans only to ship it all the way back across the country doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

The existing brewery can't keep up with demand in their home market, so I don't see them supplying the Bay Area.
  39. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Member

Yep.
  40. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Member

I hope it starts showing up on eBay as "empty" Aluma-Tek cans.
    afrokaze likes this.
  41. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

21A does it. They must get some seriously huge tax breaks to offset the shipping cost.