1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

1. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (260) California Feb 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure if I can get Nelson without having to drive to alpine for my 4 bottles every week (if available of course) I may drink little else.

2. Wonder if it's 50/50 they are contracting with(if 50/50 has extra capacity). They pull water off the Truckee which feeds off Lake Tahoe which is pretty damn pure.

3. lets get some Los Angeles distro first... hell we're 2 hours away and I haven't seen a bottle of nelson in about 6 months.

Angst and Pelican5 like this.
  4. The water source they will be using will not come from CA, the west coast or Colorado.

5. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Pretty sure logsdon is Lime

huadog likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Will it be sourced east of the Mississippi? If so, it must be Memphis!

7. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

I could be wrong. Whole Food in Laguna told me Artisan.

8. Trilogy31

Norcal and socal distribute differently, also with sf compared to the bay area different distributors carry the same beer depending on where the business is located

9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

This website should come witha disclaimer....I need to get more pants for emergency changes........just cleaned up after reading about FW sour program.

All i can say is: MORE APLINE? HUZZZAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Whomever has the ability to bottle with this is probably getting the contract....just sayin'...

Jspriest likes this.
  11. In Socal, Logsdon is distributed by Artisan Ales. They are talking about Artisan Distributing in the SF Bay area.

12. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

The Artisan website has Alpine on their homepage... You are right. At least here in S0-CAL.

13. I'm talking about Amy. She's Heathers partner. Amy was in charge of marketing for 50/50. Heather was with Artisan up north (known as Celebrated Ales in SoCal). I don't know why I spelled it "artesian." Typo I guess.

Anyway, some stores got pissed off because they were promised a certain allocation by Artesan/Celebrated and obviously they couldn't deliver because they don't distribute 50/50 anymore. That's probably why City didn't order Eclipse.

14. they do distribute. you just have to go to their front counter.

15. I wonder whether Alpine ever raised any money for their "in-town" expansion plans about a year ago. They put out a prospectus and had people sign up, etc. Don't know if it ever progressed beyond that.

16. I wonder this as well. I asked them what they were looking for, they told me investors that could offer six figures. I wonder how many of those they found.

17. I'd invest in a heartbeat

18. Yes and no.

19. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Oskar Blues' Asheville, North Carolina brewery...

franklinn and Chaz like this.
  20. Here's hoping it's Two Roads; they have tons of extra capacity and the brewing know-how to maintain quality. Not sure about their water source, though...

21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

A lot more to making money in the beer business than just having good beer.....

Risky investment.

PeterJ likes this.
  22. Just tell us where!

23. Highly doubtful. Doesn't make sense to contract w/ a brewery that small, that is prolly at 100% output, with more expensive real estate.

Not sure about them pulling water from the Truckee River. Its not like the brewery is on the river (1/2 mile away?), and riparian rights for the Truckee were generally established long before FiftyFifty came around, they rarely transfer, they're the focus of tons of litigation etc. . .

Maybe they do, but I'd bet no. Ask BA Tashbrew if you want to know for sure.

24. Of course. It would depend on how much control they gave their investors. I guess I should have said "I would invest in a heartbeat if they would let me tell them how to sell their beer" lol.

25. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (365) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

ArrogantB nailed it? Asheville? I've heard this rumor before....

They do have tasty water.

26. badbeer

badbeer Savant (460) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

Cold Spring Brewing?

Chaz and sbuysse like this.
  27. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Well, they are a Craft brewery (and offer a full range of packaging) and also possess some capacity, but I'd hedge my bet on a co-packing agreement at Asheville.

28. Trilogy31

Has no one mentioned sierra nevada yet? The ability to can, easy distro to sac and the bay and unless Pat was bluffing tonight at citybeer there is someone beside oskar blues expanding capacity in asheville. Not to mention the water doesn't get much better than whats coming from the sierras.

29. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (365) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

Well, Sierra and New Belgium have both also invested in facilities near Asheville... it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that with Alpine's connections to New Belgium (and two solid collaborations), this is the right contract fit. Also not a stretch--if the Alpine Alumi-Tec package is for real--to envision New Belgium going this packing route, what with their firm commitment to environmental sustainability.

Speculation is fun!

30. Omg, so does this actually mean I have a chance to try some of these amazing IPAs?!!! Color me excite!

31. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

My sources originally told me around the Minneapolis area, but Asheville would make sense too. In any case, 16oz cans of Duet, Nelson and Hoppy Birthday are gonna be awesome, no matter where they come from!

32. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Lets get some Central IL distro! Woooo!! No but seriously..

33. Nervous about this. :confused:

34. All of this talk of water. Water can be treated to get the profile you want. There are a lot of breweries in SD, which has pretty crappy water, but it can make some good IPAs.

If this expansion happens in say Ashville, the brewery will need a lot of shipping pallets of gypsum to make those beers.

35. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

They need to bottle Bad Boy and Hoppy Birthday..I hope this move doesn't mess up the QC.I know Alpine has had issues with some flat beers..maybe this move either improves it or makes it worse

36. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

That would be amazing, we'd get distro then!

37. A beer being contract-brewed in a state does not insure that it will be distributed in that state.

38. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Brewing a beer and bottling it in the 16oz cans only to ship it all the way back across the country doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

The existing brewery can't keep up with demand in their home market, so I don't see them supplying the Bay Area.

39. Yep.

40. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I hope it starts showing up on eBay as "empty" Aluma-Tek cans.

afrokaze likes this.
  41. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

21A does it. They must get some seriously huge tax breaks to offset the shipping cost.