1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

I doubt Alpine would ever contract brew.
  2. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Member

No joke!!! I was lucky to bump into Alpine this weekend and all they had to take home was Nelson! Ex Hoppiness on tap was memorable!
  3. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Member

Pretty sure their plans to expand are hindered by the punks that stole a fermenter and U-haul from them a couple weeks ago....
  4. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Member

BOOOOOOOO!
  5. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Member

If I can buy Duet in my stores on a regular basis, I will officially become a full blown alcoholic.
  6. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Member

I'm stoked. Heading down there on Friday to talk to them for the Mag... If they're willing to share any news then I'll post it... otherwise you can check it out in BA.
  7. evilc

evilc Member

Duet is a session beer bro - you're good!
  8. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Member

They would become some very long and frequent sessions of high volume though.
  9. evilc

evilc Member

Duet should be in 6 pack 12oz cans. Would be heaven.
    thome50 and Naterobsnyk4 like this.
  10. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

We sessioned on a bottle of Duet last night. Only wish it were Nelson.
    grrrah likes this.
  11. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

Yep. I heard this straight from the horses mouth. I take this to mean they will be expanding on their own, at least a little.
  12. Xul

Xul Member

Azrael and jtmartino like this.
  13. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

If the rumor I heard is true, I am not excited for who they've chosen to contract brew with, especially because it will affect the freshness of their product shipping it back out west. There's plenty of places on the west coast they could use, especially in the Bay Area...
  14. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

15. mjl21

mjl21 Member

What is the rumor?
  16. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Spill it, what's the word on the street?

Cold Spring? they bottle in alumi-teks and have had good results brewing for 21 Amendment.
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

yes.
  18. Xul

Xul Member

Interesting...I'm really curious how often beer will be brewed and shipped back out to California. One of the benefits of Alpine's scarcity has been that you know that what you're getting is pretty damn fresh. On one hand, working with an established contract brewer should theoretically help with some of the QC issues that Alpine has experienced on the packaging side. On the other hand, it's hard to beat a bottle of Nelson that was packaged less than 48 hours ago.
    jtmartino and AptosBeerDrinker like this.
  19. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

As long as I get my Hoppy Birthday cans I will be happy.
  20. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

It isn't like they are going to stop brewing at the current location. If you have issues with the stuff that gets shipped back, go back to buying from the pub. No reason to panic/speculate now.
    I'm just excited that this will be a money maker for them, and get them to their goal of self expansion sooner.
  21. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

The loss of the brite tank (while it majorly sucks) isn't holding back the Alpine in Alpine expansion. 1st they need a new building to house the new brewhouse in. One reason the tank was stolen was it was sitting outside. No Oceans 11 type breakin to theft the tank, they just got past the fence, and loaded it into the uhaul.

So Cold Spring...well...time will tell. Can't judge the product until it's out.
  22. Xul

Xul Member

No, but they may not brew the same quantity of Nelson and Duet that they currently do since they can use the capacity for other beers. Not that Willy and Mandarin Nectar are flying off the shelves, but I would hope that they use some of their current location's capacity to brew beers Bad Boy, Tuatara, Expo, and Crazy Hazel more often.

Agreed, I think there are certain risks (aside from freshness) in growing via contract brewing, but I hope that it allows them to grow their footprint without sacrificing quality, and ultimately serves as a stepping stone to their new facility.
  23. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Wonder why they didn't go with Ballast Point or some other "more local" facility. Cans are awesome, but shipping a fresh IPA from the midwest, refrigerated, is probably gonna be expensive.
  24. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Depends on if anyone has excess capacity...
  25. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

I asked Pat himself and he said the loss of the tank is going to slow down the expansion.
  26. errantnight

errantnight Member

It can't be any worse than their current bottling operations (that routinely results in diacetyl-laden beers). Who knows if a third party brewer can replicate the magic, but I'll give it a chance before I knock it, as about the only thing I don't love about Alpine is their bottled product (on draft, filled growlers, the actual bbq and pub, are all superb).
  27. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

While I don't doubt it....they still have to build the new building...
    Maybe they planned to add it to the existing location somewhere. Time for the SD Beer Mafia to shut down the beauty parlor next door to expand brewing operations.
  28. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

That's news to me. Most of the canned 21A beers I've had have been awful.
    Commanche likes this.
  29. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

Yeah I can't comment on the actual building. He thinks some guys doing construction nearby may have taken off with the tank and sold it for scrap. Who knows...
  30. mjl21

mjl21 Member

Their IPA was good when they brewed it in SF.
  31. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Member

2013: Alpine contract brews in CO
    2014: Beer Advocate users and craft brewery owners are suddenly ok with contract brewing
  32. Miruguy

Miruguy Member

I once bought Nelson bottles at the Laguna Whole Foods. Btw, hope you live in Laguna if you're buying beers there - seems like recent "demand" has them limiting me to one bottle of Pliny per visit ;)
  33. GFG

GFG Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

For Minnesota :D
  34. APreacher

APreacher Member

Thankfully he doesn't live too close to laguna, all this town needs is another shelf whale killer.
  35. Miruguy

Miruguy Member

We met recently and he's a pretty big guy, so disregard that prior message.
  36. ETOHprn

ETOHprn Member

Prolly won't taste like Alpine beer. Maybe they will manage to carbonate their IPAs more consistently tho. Could be a good thing.
  37. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

In my opinion, having someone contract brew for you 2000 miles away from Alpine seems to take most of the "craft" element out of the brewery. When none of the components of the beer ever touch your local brewery (hops, water, malt, yeast, packaging materials, etc.), it is difficult to maintain an argument that your beer is somehow handcrafted by Alpine.
    jp7161, DougOLis and pmarlowe like this.
  38. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Why? A competent brewer should be able to take the recipe and make something of similar quality, provided they control the inputs correctly (which, presumably, Pat has taken care of).
  39. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

At some point, it has to do more with good computer programmers vs competent brewers. Someone will plug in the variables to a computerized brew system and make an Alpine beer in Minnesota. A computerized canning machine will fill the cans. A distributor will pick up the packaged beer and deliver it to the midwest. It will never see Alpine, CA. I fail to see any part of "craft" in that process.
    jp7161 likes this.
  40. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I don't think that's how it works, but whatever. So is 21A not craft? They're out of the same facility.