1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

1. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Has it ever been confirmed that Cold Springs is definitely going to be the brewing partner? I know that was the buzz, but I still haven't seen any final word.

If true, it does frustrate me that they couldn't find a brewing partner on this side of the continental divide, purely from a freshness perspective.

2. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr/26/alpine-beer-cold-spring/
    drgarage likes this.
  3. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (295) California Jan 11, 2010

4. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Think that quote means they're just doing this to raise some capital for a larger brewery back in Alpine?

Remember when Karl Strauss got shit for brewing in WI? I wonder if Alpine will get the same backlash. Guess it depends on how much the quality drops off. Either way, I'm not a fan.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

They already have. I'm cautiously optimistic, if this results in Nelson on the shelves with the same quality, then I don't give a shit if it's brewed in Alpine or Minnesota or Timbuktu, I'll buy it.
  6. Oh the horror, automated bottling/canning lines!
    Nothing says craft beer quite like shoddy carbonation levels and the heightened risk of infection from hand bottling.
    joloje and Xul like this.
  7. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

As far as bottled beer goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see an improvement in the final product. Call it heresy if you'd like, but Alpine has proved over the past several months that they don't entirely have a handle on quality control and packaging. I wouldn't expect Cold Springs to match the best of the batches brewed in Alpine, but they also won't likely match the lows. As long as they produce a good, consistent replication of Nelson, Duet, and Hoppy Birthday, it will be a win for both Alpine and consumers.

I also don't understand the idea of "good computer programmers vs. competent brewers." Every craft brewer that reaches a certain size tends to invest in automation, otherwise you start to lose control of the process and the final product suffers. Obviously, there are the Shaun Hills of the world who never want to grow beyond 3,000 bbls/year and retain total control, but the vast majority of craft breweries are closer to a factory than some sort of artisanal playground.
    pmarlowe likes this.
  8. I understand about the automation at the breweries. At least there is a Master Brewer (affiliated with the brewery) on-site that can monitor the process. Is one of the Alpine staff moving to Minnesota to do this on behalf of the operation?

Theoretically, if I come up with a decent recipe and have the ability to sign a personal guarantee to a contract brewer and a distributor, I can become a 5,000+ barrel "craft" brewer overnight without ever leaving the comfort of my living room. No employees, no equipment, no brewery, no overhead. I just need a decent bank account and a recipe. I can name it "San Diego's Finest" even though none of the raw materials come from California and the labor is 2,000 miles away.

If I am just writing checks, I can do it in my spare time.
  9. Sebowski

In the long run their time contract brewing will be a drop in the bucket and we will have the at brewing on a larger scale at home that much quicker. Also, they will still be brewing in Alpine at the same time, so locals shouldn't see any change at all.
  10. Sebowski

No need to be theoretical. Julian Cider is already doing this. You need more than a bank account and a recipe though. Sales, distribution, ingredient contracts...

11. Good point. If you are drinking 22 oz bombers, you can assume that they came from Alpine, CA. If the beer is in a can, it came from Minnesota.
  12. Sebowski

Better yet, straight from the growlers duct taped to your hands.