Alpine Duet, Nelson, Pure hoppiness which is best and why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Well I was down at Alpine last weekend and had couple samples of each and realize now that without a doubt my favorite in order and why
    1. Duet the hops are just fantastic like a party going in my mouth could drink consistently and be happy
    2. Nelson there is just something to be said about the nelson hops just the taste is so good not as overpower hoppy as duet but a close second
    3. Pure hoppiness although this beer is definitely good it just paled in comparison to the other two and had to give it a distant third place
    ALL in all the beers sampled at Alpine point to return for sure plus the food wasnt bad either and you have to love the santa claus style little hippie artsy community lol

2. Duet, because it just is, man.

dianimal and YaKnowBrady like this.
  3. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

PH = Awesome
    Duet = Awesomer!
    Nelson = Awesomest!!

bastu, bennetj17, Lunch and 1 other person like this.
  4. Duet is it

dianimal and YaKnowBrady like this.
  5. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Duet.

Alpine homers doe.... Dunno about them.

6. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I really thought I'd be in the minority by saying Duet.

brewbetter likes this.
  7. Haven't had Duet yet. But my local joint got in a case of Nelson last night (one per customer) and I was fortunate to get one (albeit at $10). How much is a bomber down at the brewery?

8. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Added some Duck Dynasty updates.

Also, I'm confident they would never attempt any other beer in a fermenting tank that once contained brett yeast. At least I damn well hope they don't.

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  9. Nelson is one of my all-time favorite beers, it's so easy drinking and citrusy, yet incredibly flavorful. The other two are nothing to sneeze at though.

j47paco likes this.
  10. For me it's:

1. Duet
    2. Pure Hoppiness
    3. Nelson

I was expecting to love Nelson but was a bit disappointed in it. Still a great beer but I think it's reputation had been built up to the point where I was expecting more. Duet and Pure Hoppiness on the other hand were incredible. Pure west coast in-you-face hop goodness.

gatornation and Pando like this.
  11. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

$ 5.99

12. Darklight

Darklight Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2006

Have to agree with everything you said here. Absolutely love Nelson.

13. I am going to go with this order:
    1.) Nelson
    2.) Duet
    3.) Pure hoppiness

I havent tried any of the three but I don't think that should stop me from voicing my opinion.

Centennial, FosterJM and j47paco like this.
  14. I'm saving my bottle of Nelson for Saturday when the Kings raise their Stanley Cup banner.

15. yes they are 5.99 plus tax come to almost $7

16. That's a pretty big mark up.

17. not so bad at KEG N BOTTLE in santa barbara they have DUET for 16.99 plus tax
    and it probably been sitting on shelf for who knows how long at least a year so not good anymore
    for the amount you have to drive to save a couple dollars it is worth paying that premium

18. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (690) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Duet
    Nelson
    Pure Hoppiness

That's my order, but they are all fantastic

19. Im hoping for a bottle of nelson and duet in the near future for hooking up someone with heady and kiwi rising.

20. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I have had all 3 and that is the correct order. Well done.

Cheers!

21. Why? If it's sanitized it's fine. I ferment brett beers and clean beers in the same plastic better bottles and buckets. Never once had a cross contamination.

22. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Nelson, because there's just nothing else like it. Although I think Kiwi Rising came pretty close.

23. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

Can I throw Expoential Hoppiness into my list too? I love me some Alpine beers. Fresh and bomb! :cool:

24. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Send me some brews! I would be happy to play the role of quality analyst. ;)

25. If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword, you compare it to every other sword ever made... that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo.

bastu, Rollzroyce21, libbey and 4 others like this.
  26. you could but then you would have to throw in Hoppy Birthday

libbey and blguillen like this.
  27. My order:
    1. Nelson
    2. Bad Boy
    3. Keene Idea
    4. Hoppy Birthday
    5. DuHop
    6. Ugly
    7. Duet
    8. Exponential Hoppiness
    9. O'Brien's
    10. Pure Hoppiness
    11. Tuatara
    Pretty much every other brewery's flagship IPA.

28. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

lol, oh yeah! :D

29. 1. Nelson
    2. Ugly
    3. Duet
    4. Pure
    5. Expo

I will buy any of those every time I see them except Expo, not much of a fan of that one.

30. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  31. To play devil's advocate (because in general I agree style categories should be respected), Hoppy Birthday has the body, flavor, and aroma of an IPA. In fact I would take it over almost any IPA in the world. The only thing that really makes it a pale ale is its alcohol content--I think there should be more than a single defining characteristic of any style.

DJButters likes this.
  32. Duet->Nelson->PH imo

33. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Dude you just didnt call the city of Alpine a 'hippie artsy community' did you? First and probably last time I will hear that.

34. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Nelson
    PureHop
    Duet

35. This is my order!

36. The answer is whatever Brett says it is.

37. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Aye! Three cheers...for Brett! I heard he's on his way there now actually to do some research. And perhaps order a sandwich, I DUNNO!

pschul4, SageO, FTowne and 2 others like this.
  38. A rueben?

39. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Patiently waiting for match1112's answers though, to be truthful. :rolleyes: