1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine Updates

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by grandmeaulnes, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Went to Alpine over the weekend to get my growlers filled. Picked up some bottles of Gouden Vallai too (which is great and gives me high hopes for the other NB collab).

Apparently the next Alpine seasonal is Tuatara followed by Hoppy Birthday :cool:

The NB/Alpine collab IPA should be "everywhere" soon - really psyched about it.

Blacktooth likes this.
  2. Tuatara is awesome, glad to hear it's finding it's way back.

Sebowski likes this.
  3. just received via email:​

We Are Here To Kiss It Where It Hurts
    Dreaming big can make good things happen, and sometimes it does. The big collaboration beer with New Belgium is available and, well, over the top. The world is our palette and we brewed scenic, inspired beers to complicate your taste buds much like a dramatic play with a dynamic light show would portray. At least the pub is super air conditioned so the heat wave only hits the electric bill, not your brow.
    The original plan with the collaboration beer with New Belgium was miss-reported and for that I apologize. The beer is ready and out in this world as you read. If fact, we will have some on draught, in the pub, by the time you receive this. Let’s go over the specification on this beer: The brains of the Alpine brew team flew to Fort Collins to “help” brew a big, super hero inspired, double IPA with the brew brains of New Belgium Brewing. The pre-determined hops and malt were on hand and all we had to do was “push the mouse button” to start the staggeringly impressive amount of beer to brewing. So, using our vast knowledge of “IPAology”, we crafted a beer kind of like a blend of Pure Hoppiness, Duet and Exponential Hoppiness but different. It came out at 9% abv, uses Melanoidin and Acidulated malts with an amazing 2 tons of hops in the dry hopping alone. To put this in perspective, we make about the same amount in a year as they made in about 20 hours. The beer was triple dry hopped and had major amounts of labor involved in the multiple steps it took to pull this off. We tried some last week and I haven’t had a drinkable, over the top hopped IPA like this ever. Belches from this beer result in a new life experience and I crave my next one. The “Alpine” influence is real and right up front. I frankly could not believe we could have that much impression on such a large system. Great news!
    Toronado Pub in San Francisco is celebrating their 25th Anniversary this weekend and we brewed a special beer just for the blessed event. The pub with the notoriously rude bartenders set the bar for craft forward beer bars for two and a half decades, and they like us. So, to show we love them too, we brewed what could be considered “Double Nelson” and it’s called “Toronado 25th Anniversary Ale.” The beer came in at 8.88% abv and is clear, clean and shockingly floral. The Nelson Sauvin hops shine and the alcohol is so unnoticeable that it too could be considered dangerously delicious.
    We slipped in our Belgian “Quad,” “FiringsQuad” and it’s now available for growler fills, as well as in the pub. The original plan to bottle some of this 11% abv rendition of one of the highest respected beers in the world fizzled out due to the massive amount of new beers coming out soon. Rich, spicey and estery, check it out in the pub to see if a growler floats your boat.
    In respect for the New Zealanders being hit with Winter, we brewed Tuatara, our hot weather pale ale that is built like an IPA. It weighs in at 4.20% abv on purpose. Look for its release on Friday, August 17th. Pints and pitchers in the pub and growlers in the brewery will be available.
    Next beer available after that will be “Hoppy Birthday.” We are entering some beers into the “Great American Beer Festival” and that means some off-season beers have been brewed and will be coming out soon. “Bad Boy” will be out shortly after “Hoppy Birthday” and then “Good,” our Barleywine slapping you silly with at least 15% abv. And then a classic bodacious brew will pound you into submission.
    Look for our specials posted on Facebook, “Alpine Beer Company”. Our weekend special start Friday around 5 pm and run through Saturday evening IF we don’t sell out Friday. All our specials are listed there every week!
    Brewery Hours: Tues – Sat Noon to 6 pm for growler fills, bottle sales and merchandice. Pub Hours: Tues – Thurs 11 am to 10 pm, Fri – Sat 11 am to Midnight, Sun Noon to 9 pm.
    Would you rather wear your seatbelt or ride in a wheelchair, your call. Get back to me on that.
    Peace and Love from Alpine Beer Company!

Blacktooth and dfillius like this.
  4. DOUBLE NELSON!

5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I've been excited about that beer since I heard it existed. Knowing I will be pounding Double Nelsons on Saturday makes it all the sweeter.

6. Drinking the NB/Alpine collab, it is delicious and very easy drinking, but definitely high octane stuff. Considering Pat said they brewed more of this stuff in 20 min than anything they brew in a year, I just want to warn everyone out there that this stuff is great, but the alcohol sneaks up on you like a mother$&@)?!

It's like a liquid rattlesnake, eminently beautiful, but bites like crazy and you may end up needing an IV in the morning.

mrkrispy likes this.
  7. Double Nelson sounds fantastic. Will it see an appearance at their brewpub? The email wasn't clear about whether or not it that would be the case.

8. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

T25-AA... Yeah, that sounds just a tiny bit good.

9. THIS ^^^

10. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

Wait...I thought Russian River brewed Toronado's 25th?

11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

grilledsquid likes this.
  12. evilc

Two dif beers.

13. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

That's why everyone's calling this one Double Nelson -- both beers are created to celebrate Toronado's 25th anniversary, but everything else about them is wildly different.

14. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

ah...ok.

15. Noticed a barrel of GREAT in the brewpub when I got my growlers of Double Nelson filled. :)

16. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

So did I, right by the front door.

Cheers.....

17. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah they announced that a few months ago, I think they said late 2013 anticipated release.

18. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

I believe it was written on the barrel that is was racked June 2012.

Cheers......

19. Yep, that's exactly what it said.

20. Fingers crossed that Double Nelson is still on tap at the pub this weekend!

OTB likes this.
  21. It's all gone, though getting tapped at Toronado today!

Tuatara goes on Friday though!

22. When all the stuff with Expo-Hop went down earlier in the year it seemed like they were really cracking down on how many growlers (regardless of the beer) they were willing to fill. I am coming down this weekend and own 5 growlers, have their policies changed that they won't fill all 5? I'll most likely be doing 5 different beers.

23. No crack down... Limit of 6 growler fills per available beer. They have 10+ beers right now, will 60 growlers be enough? Ha ha...

hoserking likes this.
  24. Excellent! thanks for the info

25. I'm thinking about going down tomorrow. Is that Tuatara worth it?

26. It's very good (and very sessionable).

27. I'm going to head up on Sat.

28. RyXDa

RyXDa Disciple (50) California Nov 8, 2011

Thinking of heading there on Sat also. Any update on the tap list? Also, do you think they would replace a growler that they chipped when they filled it?

KRAZGRL likes this.
  29. Is Tuatara on? Anyone know?

30. Tuatara is on, and available for growler fills. Yum!

hoserking and grandmeaulnes like this.
  31. Nice looking forward to having that amazing chicken club, drink 2-3 and filling a growler tomorrow.

32. Tuatara. Bba token. Firing squad. Super ipa. And the normal stuff are all on

33. Just got back. Tuatara is nice, filled growlers with Nelson though just the same. Tough to beat it.

OTB likes this.
  34. Ha...I think I was right next to you. I got growlers of Tuatara and Duet. Tuatara tastes really nice.

grandmeaulnes likes this.
  35. Haha nice.

I think Hoppy Birthday may be going on as early as next weekend, if what the guy in the brewery said is any indication.

36. evilc

When Bad Boy hits all 6 of my growlers are going up!

bigsippin and dcgunman like this.
  37. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I hope to be there when Hoppy BDay is released. And hope to get whatever is left from Bad Boy. 4 growlers.

38. evilc

I will say Double Nelson has mellowed my Bad Boy love some :(

Double Nelson should be year round and bottled!

Mute98 likes this.
  39. Bad Boy is so f'ing good.

But yeah, Double Nelson is the best Alpine beer. I think I need to up my growler armada to 5.

40. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

mmmm....Double Nelson last weekend and Cask Nelson this weekend.

dcgunman likes this.