1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine Updates

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by grandmeaulnes, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Hoppy B-Day all the way! Duet, Nelson, Pure H. Not sure how this batch of Expo is. Did not get any this time around. So I can't comment on this batch. But I am enjoying this batch of Enjoy By. . . .oh yeah. . . .wrong thread.

2. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

How long will an unopened growler of HB last (Alpine has screw tops - not sure how they fill them). I'd like to save it for a birthday party (which would be 7 days after filling).

3. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

I don't know how long it will last, but seven days is no problem.

jamex likes this.
  4. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

I have filled growlers and then be called out of town on extended business trips to return to perfectly delicious Alpine beer two weeks later. I actually enjoyed a two week old growler of Duet recently as much as the one i had filled that same day. You will have no problem at seven days. These growlers of course were never opened and I really tighten the cap.

Cheers..

jamex likes this.
  5. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

6. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Or go to your local homebrew shop and buy new lids, they're not expensive and if you re-use the same lids over and over the material that forms the seal gets beaten down and becomes leaky. Homebrew Mart sells them.

7. I just ask for new caps at the brewery when I fill growler. They usually have a bunch of them.

8. dcgunman

I've had HB in growlers for 2 weeks and just over 2 weeks. No problems. Pours a perfect head and lots of carb. It's after you have opened the growler that you should finish it up within 24 hours. I've had some 3 week growler fill of Beachwood's beers with no problems. Opened up a growler of JO from Kern last a week ago in Laughlin that I bought back Feb 4 for the Citra release. It was still just outstanding!!

jamex likes this.
  9. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

yeah, i always throw away my caps after finishing a growler

thome50 likes this.
  10. beer30jax

beer30jax Aficionado (130) Florida Jun 27, 2012

I'll be in San Diego Sunday Night and was going to hit up the Alpine Pub. I know the Brewery is closed but are there any bottle sales out of the pub? How is the Pub?

11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The pub is awesome but completely packed often. When the brewery is closed, you can buy 2 of each beer available in bottles in the pub.

beer30jax likes this.
  12. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

So what is the deal regarding buying bottles and/or growlers at the brewery vs. the pub on say next Saturday evening?

13. evilc

The brewery is open Tu-Sat 12-6. If it is open, you can buy 4 bottles per beer and 6 growlers per beer of normal year rounds, with differing limits on special releases. If the brewery is open, you cannot buy bottles in the pub. If the brewery is closed and the pub open, the pub will sell you 2 bottles per beer. The pub does not sell growlers.

rgco and beer30jax like this.
  14. The pub consists of a counter that seats 10-12 people. There are 3 booths seating 4 people each. There are a 4-5 tables seating 4 people and a few hightops seating 4 people.

The outdoor patio probably seats another 20-25 at picnic tables.

It is not a huge place.

beer30jax likes this.
  15. beer30jax

appreciate the feedback folks. It's just me and a buddy doing a beer tour from San Fran down to San Diego. If we have to wait for a seat at the pub, so be it :)

16. Goddamn, you are going to be able to mix in some killer stops along the way my friend. Hope you've allocated a couple of weeks and a nice amount of cash for this adventure.

17. OTB

And order the brisket sammy, its frickin great.

Cheers.....

beer30jax likes this.
  18. dcgunman

Brisket or go for the ribs and or chicken. bbq chicken is heaven.

19. jeff1973

jeff1973 Savant (425) California Aug 10, 2010

Just came from Alpine. Had the brisket sandwich and baked beans. Both were great!
    Bought bottles of Duet, Nelson, and Pure Hoppiness. Bought a growler of Hoppy Birthday. Great trip!

20. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (310) California May 1, 2010

That's how you do it!

BrianTheBrewer30 likes this.
  21. [​IMG]

22. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (230) California Nov 22, 2010

Anyone have a current update as to what's available (specifically, is there any Nelson available for growler fills and/or bottles, and any Hoppy Birthday left)? I will be in SD tomorrow and hoped to make a detour. Thanks!

23. BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  24. Nelson is back, Hoppy Birthday was still going as of yesterday.

No more Good on tap at the pub

25. Miruguy

26. I completely agree with your bottle purchase even better if you bought the 4 bottle max of each
    but I do not concur on the food order although the brisket is good I really like the pulled chicken and then you put the coleslaw right on the sandwich with some of that BBQ sauce they have and wash it down with a pint of DUET
    now that is what I am talking about I will be there on March 23 can't wait

27. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

Still any hoppy b day action going on? Growlers? Draft at the pub? Thanks!

28. BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  29. evilc

Says Nelson is out.

30. What? Says who?

31. their latest FB post says Nelson and HB are still on for fills.

32. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

One of the worst posts I have ever read. He was describing what he had and bought not asking people if they agreed with it.

domtronzero and grilledsquid like this.
  33. beer30jax

Just got back from my West Coast trip. I sat at Alpine for about 3 hours on Sunday night. Via the recommendations in this thread I had the brisket and drank my way through Hoppy Birthday, Expo, Nelson, and Pure Hoppiness. All great. The Hoppy Bday reminded me of a Zombie Dust Light.

The best beer I had on my trip was Societe's The Pupil. I'm going to have splurge for the growler and trade for some soon. Man was that a hell of a great beer.

Thanks everyone for the tips in this thread.

34. OTB

Glad you enjoyed the brisket, miss that sammy. Societe is crushing it right now, hard to argue with you that Pupil may be the best IPA coming out of SD right now.It actually seems to be getting better with each subsequent batch.

Cheers.....

ehammond1 and beer30jax like this.
  35. vapodge

vapodge Aficionado (225) Florida Nov 24, 2009

Buddy from FL just flew in. Nelson bottles still available? I haven't been there in a week.

36. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

was it just me (and a friend) or was the last bottling of nelson pretty off? flavors/carb wise

37. Someone needs to lend Alpine an Anton-Paar Carbo QC.

Xul, MrKennedy and nanobrew like this.
  38. OTB

I have been told from at least five friends that bought the last batch of Nelson that it was a mess, no carb, off putting flavors and clarity issues. I hope they figure out what is going on because I miss having bottles on hand.

Cheers...

ehammond1 likes this.
  39. This is CRAFT beer, not that crap where you can expect the same taste and fizzy yellow carbonation every time.

I would like to see an experiment where the brewer of an acclaimed beer started taking short cuts and see where the tipping point is before demand was affected.

40. Miruguy

I bought just a couple of bottles this weekend and also thought there was somethign up with the Nelson (more a muted flavor, but didn't notice the carb issues). I also picked up 2 growlers and was planning on opening them this weekend. Hopefully, the issues were isolated to the bottled version!