Alpine Updates

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by grandmeaulnes, Jul 30, 2012.

1. The QC is right, the drinker is wrong.

domtronzero likes this.
  2. Drinking a Nelson...out of the bottle...right now. Yum :)

3. Diacetyl-city. Mine had carb, though.

4. There was one batch without Citra (or was it Nelson, I forget), that was decidedly not an improvement over previous batches.

5. Why would they even brew it? Isn't is just Nelson and citra?

6. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

There are issues, plain and simple.

Cheers.....

ehammond1 likes this.
  7. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Haha I thought I was the only one that did that. Just finished the rest of a growler of hoppy birthday from last night and am sipping on Nelson straight from the bottle. I don't think HB will be around much longer, but the bottles of duet and Nelson are tasting fantastic right now.

8. Trouble sourcing the hop. And I don't believe it's entirely those two, just primarily, based on what the guy doing the pouring was saying.

9. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

LOL neverending defensiveness toward alpine.

10. I was actually sarcastically responding to the anti-big beer crowd. It was a comment on the never ending argument about the term "quality".

11. Yeah, I got that. I thought it was a bit of a parody of the Alpine fan boy, too. For whatever reason, I forgot to hit "like" - but well done.

12. Just cracked a bottle of Pure Ho picked up last Friday from the brewery. The taste is way light on hops and ends tasting very minerally :( . This is one of my favorites, so I hope this one is anomalous.

13. Latest Nelson is way off. Quite disappointing. I'll let others rush out to swoop up Alpine beers for awhile until I hear better news. :(

14. Latest Alpine update: All you little whiny bi#ches that are complaining about bottles and service and whatever and whatever and whatever and...guess what??? Whatever. Please stop drinking Alpine. Leave it to us assholes who like their bottled beer and...whatever. Stay away bros. Alpine sucks. #boxoftissues

15. P.S. Societe sucks as well...stay away from those noob bi#ches. They are gonna bottle soon. You will all hate it.

16. How soon?

17. I don't mind leaving you to your assholery, but that doesn't change the fact that my bottle of beer was not good. You are welcome to drink all of the off bottles, and in fact, I encourage it. However, little whiny bitches like me will keep buying Alpine and give honest feedback :)

OTB likes this.
  18. Brian, does this mean you'll buy my 4 bottles of flat Nelson off of me? :)

OTB and BrianTheBrewer30 like this.
  19. LOL, I dont even remember typing this last night.

pmarlowe and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  20. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

There must be within-batch variation as well as between-batch, because I picked up bottles of Nelson, Duet, and Pure last weekend as well, and the Nelson is great - maybe not my favorite batch, but definitely no off flavors. Duet was flawless. Will report back on the Pure.

21. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

z

eyeenjoybeer and pmarlowe like this.
  22. So jealous, wish I had the opportunity to try some of the latest batch of Nelson and give my two cents worth of opinion. Oh well SDBW will be here soon enough.

23. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Are they keeping the website updated? It says they currently have:

Wasn't aware that HB was still on...hope it is!

TIA.

24. Hoppy birthday is no longer on. Went up for lunch yesterday and it was just the basic beers.

heesu likes this.
  25. They don't update their website taplist regularly. Better to check FB.

26. You make it sound as if they update their Facebook page that often. They do sort of say when something special comes out, but they don't tell you when it runs out, nor do they tell you what is on at any given point in time.

I think it is best to check this thread.

domtronzero likes this.
  27. Yeah, for awhile they were pretty good at updating it at least weekly. That may have been to deflect all the questions about HB/Expo, though, because they seem to have slowed them down.

28. What's the big deal with Hoppy Birthday? It just tastes like a neutered Alpine IPA. Like if some one toned down Duet. I mean yeah, it's good and all, but well behind any Alpine IPA.

29. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The deal is lower ABV with good taste. Session beer. A beer you can drink a lot of and not turn into a blithering idiot. Obviously the bigger IPAs will always taste better. That isn't the point.

heesu likes this.
  30. I don't think think this recent batch was as good as previous batches, however, not all beer is for everyone.

31. I like to use the term "starter beer". A Hoppy Birthday makes a nice warm up to Bad Boy or Expo, and really, I don't think it tastes like a toned down Duet at all. In fact, I think there is more going on than with a Duet, just not quite as strong, if that makes any sort of sense.

32. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Is Alpine IPA the same as Alpine Ale?

33. Yeah, I get all that. I guess I have a higher tolerance than 99% of society, so this is not a concern of mine (I'm 6'7 265, and have been drinking beer since I was 12). I go for taste, and Hoppy Birthday has less of it, than other Alpine offerings. IMO. Again, part of the beauty of Alpine is the high alcohol that is hidden so well.

ps-I'm the biggest Alpine fanboy ever by the way. Go down to the brewery about once a month from Orange County. And I'd rank em:
    1. Keene Idea
    2. Nelson
    3. Bad Boy
    4. Pure Hoppiness
    5. Duet
    6. Expo
    Everything Else
    (Never had O'Briens)

34. No. To my knowledge, Alpine doesn't make a beer called Alpine IPA.

35. Tons of (hop) flavor in Hoppy Birthday. I wish more APAs tasted just as good.

36. The pirate was not referring to a specific beer called "Alpine IPA", he meant any of their IPAs (Duet, Nelson, etc.). Hoppy Birthday kicks Alpine Ale's ass.

37. Hoppy Birthday kicks mostly every beers ass.

LSUPT, tyrsis and ehammond1 like this.
  38. I can appreciate HB, but it is my last choice if presented with every other Alpine IPA to choose from. Bad Boy FTW!

nanobrew likes this.
  39. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) California Mar 1, 2011

You havent drank alpine until youve had nitro Bad Boy

MMMMMMmmm

40. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

They had Pure Hoppiness, Duet & were almost out of Nelson bottles as of this afternoon.