1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine, you have a problem

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Seems there is a big flaw in the Pure Hoppiness bottles. Flat, off putting Oder and Flavors. I have never had a single bottle that's bad but it's apparent something is wrong with the last batch of Pure. I am calling to find out what's up.

Cheers.....
    jrnyc likes this.
  2. Yeah, I had two that were bad. One tasted like three day old beer and one was completely flat. Needs to be sorted out ASAP.
  3. OTB

Please call Alpine, if we all do they will know there are issues. I love those guys but they need to know that the Pure Hoppiness is not up to par.

Thanks,
  4. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

My buddy brought up a few bottles of Pure for myself and the hommies a couple weeks ago. Said he got it from the brewery 2 or so weeks ago. Same batch? I didn't notice any issues with the bottle I opened a week ago. Tasted like good.
  5. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

The Pure Hoppiness bottles I had recently were fine, but the 3 Duet bottles were flat as a pancake.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

I was out there on vacation last week, got some Nelson and PureHop. I sent a bottle of PureHop to a regular trading partner, he cracked it tonight, he said it was bad. Bummer!
  7. OTB

Hmmmmm, not good.

Cheers.....
  8. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

Did they change the recipe for PH? The bottles I have tried over the past few years pale in comparison to those consumed in 08 and 09.
  9. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

I cracked a PH last week and it was flat, one opened few days prior seemed carbed. I have one left but considering taking it back.

There was a recent thread on repair to bottling line, but if bottles are still making it out... There is indeed a problem that needs to be addressed.

I will be going up there next week and prolly stay away from those bottles.
  10. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Yeah their PH and Duet are hit-or-miss recently. Bought some a few weekends back and two out of the five were flat.
  11. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

I had a bottle of Nelson a few weeks ago that was borderline flat as well. Very thin flavors. Was so disappointed as I hadn't had Nelson in quite a while.

Someone shared a growler of Nelson at a bottle share I attended about a week later and it was amazing.
  12. shawnrocker

shawnrocker Zealot (75) May 1, 2012

I have to admit that I opened a bottle of PH tonight that I picked up at the brewery a couple of weeks ago and, while it tasted like PH, it was under-carbonated. The Nelsons and Duets that I picked up the same day have been fine though.
  13. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Looking closer at the 1 bottle of PH left.. It has heaps of sediment which seems unual ( for alpine).

I am going in 3 days and will mention to them, jic they are unaware.

This thread could be merged with the bottle line repair from few weeks ago.
  14. OTB

The bottle of PH I opened yesterday not only flat it had the most sediment I have ever seen in a bottle. Sumpin ain't right.

I plan on calling Alpine.

Cheers......
  15. OTB

The issue I am having is with bottles I purchased this past week.

Cheers.....
  16. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

My last bottle of Pure has sedis on the bottom also. It's sitting in my beer fridge. Bought this one at WF a week ago. Maybe ABC should start putting on bottling dates on their bottles. Although this is probably not the issue. It sounds like this could be a priming issue. You still have the Pure taste but with a small bit of funky sour-like flavor added to it. I will call ABC on this issue. They should look into this situation ASAP. If they are looking for investors to expand their business then need to fix whatever problem is going on. That said, ABC is still my go to brewery. For now.
    OTB likes this.
  17. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Just popped a PH I bought On August 3rd from brewery, it was flatter than a pancake. Bummer, I muled those back to NY, at least the Nelson was great.
  18. I'm going to limit my Alpine consumption to draft and growlers until I hear that things are fixed. Been burned on three bottles now, not happening again. :mad:
    dcgunman likes this.
  19. So apparently Alpine has switched to skinnier bottles now because of this issue. Basically if you see a fatter bottle don't buy it because there's a good chance it will be a flat one. In theory, the new skinnier bottles should be good.
  20. Im confused. How does skinnier bottles fix this?
  21. I don't know that it does.

The takeaway though is that if you see a skinnier Alpine, you can be pretty confident that it will be carbed and good to drink.
  22. OTB

I just looked at my case of beer and saw that the Pure bottles are indeed fatter. I have sent an email to Alpine regarding this issue.

Cheers....
  23. OTB

Just opened a Nelson from the same haul last week.....absolutely perfecto ! Next up will be a Duet. Of the four bottles of Pure three were the fat bottles and one slim. Tomorrow I will see if this theory is legit. But for now on this glorious Sunday at the beach I enjoy perfect Nelson.

Cheers.....
    grandmeaulnes likes this.
  24. What's the point? Alpine has proven over and over again that they don't care if you buy something from them that is flawed due to an error on their part.
    tjkinate and vacax like this.
  25. OTB

Sorry but that has not been my expierience with Alpine.

Cheers....
  26. Talk to all the people with sour bottles of BA Token and BA Odin's Raven.
  27. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

I was going to ask what Alpines track record on service after the sale (re: bad beers), but looks like WCS answered.

I know a bunch of companies that would take the beer back, no questions asked, refund or replace. I wonder if that level of committment/service is only from larger breweries that can take the monetary loss, but feel they gain the superior reputation (which I feel they do)?
  28. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

that's an odd perspective. you either stand behind your product or you don't regardless of the size of your business.

great divide - sorry about that infected ba yeti, here is another beer of equal quality at no cost.

stone - our beer is infected, please return for a no questions asked refund.

alpine - there is nothing wrong with the beer.
    thome50 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  29. People who have called Alpine about this bottling issue, what did they say at the brewery? I'm genuinely curious. Everyone I've met at ABC has been friendly as can be.
  30. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

These flat bottles were must have been meant for people from LA
  31. OTB

I am not " those " people. The only time I have had an issue with Alpine, Pats wife stepped up with Steve, no questions asked and replaced without hesitation.

Cheers....
  32. What exactly is meant by "those" people?

Plenty of people that bought bottles of those beers, which turned out to be inoculated with microbes that turned the beers sour, contacted Alpine to see what their recourse was, and were essentially just told: too bad.

I'm glad that you have had positive experiences with Alpine's customer service. That does not mean you can simply discount the significant number of negative experiences that others have had, though.
    jrnyc likes this.
  33. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

He is not one of you plebes. His infected bottles are exchanged for a full case of Nelson and a hug.

I may be in Alpine in two weeks -- good to know that I should skip the bottles.
  34. The skinny bottles are fine. Just avoid the fatter/heavier ones.
  35. When I'm being derided, I prefer to be called a prole.
    grandmeaulnes likes this.
  36. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

Just opened a PH, flat as a Lost Abbey beer. This makes 3 out of 4 Pure Hoppiness that was flat.
  37. I had a friend pick up 4 bottled for me last week. Opened one yesterday and it was pancake syrup flat. Looked at my other bottles and this is the first Alpine bottles that have sediment. Opened one today and same issue.
  38. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Damn...there's a lot of "ouch" in this thread.
  39. I emailed the brewery and got a response. Said they had issues due to a power failure. They offered to exchange all the bottles including the empties.
    kmatlack and grandmeaulnes like this.
  40. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Ah Mr. From the waist down, I will still find something to do with my bad Pure's if they are bad, I have had one that you brought me and had no noticeable issues. Perhaps I will check with another run of them tomorrow night during the Cowboys game.

They Nelson is amazing though, thanks again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.