1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine, you have a problem

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saru96

saru96 Zealot (95) California Sep 24, 2011

We have traced the source of the under carbonated bottles of Pure Hoppiness to the power failure we experienced on July 31st. We tried our best to recover by alternate means after our carbonating stone got plugged up. We thought we had slightly low carbonation at the worst but it appears people feel otherwise. We will be trying to re-distribute bottles back to all the retail stores so they can handle exchanges. Bottles purchased in the brewery can be exchanged as long as supplies last. Sorry for any inconvenience.

From alpine blog

libbey and heesu like this.
  2. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Just opened a bottle of duet purchased from bine & vine late last week, and it's all good FWIW.

3. Skinny or fat bottle?

4. heesu

No clue - looks like a fairly normal bomber to me. Don't have a comparison to base it on (only recently moved to SD, so I'm a newbie to Alpine.)

5. The fat ones are extra tall, heavier and fatter at the lip.

6. heesu

Looks like a fattie then...

7. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

doh..i wish i saved the old bottles. ohh well, i have one full skinny left & i will take in on tue. glad that they recognized the problem and willing to return them.

8. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

Not so man, opened a " skinny " bottles of Pure tonight, absolutely undrinkable.

Cheers....

9. OTB

I speak of only my expieience as stated, plain and simple. If you had a different expieience I feel badly for you.

Cheers....

10. Tried some Duet recently...Turned out to be an absolute drain-pour with the normally awesome hop flavor supplanted by cardboard and wet paper. On the positive, it was carbonated ;)

11. Ah that sucks.

12. OTB

I liked your detective work though buddy........sounded good to me cuz there is a bottle size difference.

Cheers.....

13. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (255) California Jun 13, 2006

I had 2 bombers of PH I bought from Whole Foods Pasadena...opened them both the week of Aug 3rd and both were bad. I was extremely disappointed as I was on vacation and it was my first experience with a bad beer from Alpine.

14. WF Pasadena has Alpine??

15. bigsippin

bigsippin Zealot (90) California Feb 9, 2012

Good thing you haven't tried -BA token, BA Odins raven, or chez monieux.

16. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (470) California Nov 16, 2009

They must have put all of their efforts into making Double Nelson taste AMAZING!

17. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

"We thought we had slightly low carbonation at the worst but it appears people feel otherwise." Is it just me, or is this sort of a half admission of an issue, followed a slight tinge of placing blame on the public for feeling differently then they do? Perhaps I'm just cynical. o_O

WillCarrera, smaisch, vurt and 5 others like this.
  18. Who cares as long as they're making good on replacing them?

19. Did anyone else who is a subscriber to Alpine's blog not receive this post via email? (not looking for tech support, just curious if I am the only one).

20. Just got the main blog on Thursday - never saw the update referred to above

21. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

You vacation in Pasadena? That may be problem #1.

Problem #2 is Alpine self distributes and I can't imagine they'd be driving up to effin' Pasadena to WF. The bigger problem is how WF came into those bottles...they could be old as shit.

I went camping 3 weeks ago and we bought a case of bottles. Not a single problem with any of 'em. Sucks if their hardware is having issues. Hopefully it's an isolated incident.

22. A few Whole Foods in the LA area have carried Alpine from time to time.

smaisch likes this.
  23. MacNCheese

I'd ask the beer manager how it's distributed to them. Either someone is going to the brewery to pick it up or....who knows.

24. Does Alpine have any quality control?

25. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Really doesn't seem like it.

26. I am a HUGE Alpine fan. I am at the brewery at least once a week. They do have issues (as many breweries do).
    When I bought a case of BA Token (the first release) I was beyond excited. Then after about two months after really trying to like this beer I could not take it anymore. The beer is beyond infected. I emailed Pat. He asked me if I have kept the beer refridgerated. I said no. He told me I should have. I asked him about age on it and got no reply. He then told me to get back to him in 6 months and let him know how it is. We opened up a bottle over a week ago. I could not even finish after one sip. The beer is just a mess.

My plan is this: I will keep buying growlers. I have found no issues with bottles of Nelson, Duet or PH (yet). I still have 11 bottles of BA Token left. The bottles of BA token I am bringing to the brewery next week and dropping them off. I am just going to ask them to take them from me. I do not want anything in return. I just want them to throw those awful bottles away.

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  27. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

This from the source:

Under Carbonated Bottles of Pure Hoppiness

We have traced the source of the under carbonated bottles of Pure Hoppiness to the power failure we experienced on July 31st. We tried our best to recover by alternate means after our carbonating stone got plugged up. We thought we had slightly low carbonation at the worst but it appears people feel otherwise. We will be trying to re-distribute bottles back to all the retail stores so they can handle exchanges. Bottles purchased in the brewery can be exchanged as long as supplies last. Sorry for any inconvenience.​

28. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

This info was posted already above.

29. This would certainly be consistent with their approach to infected BA Tokin and Odin's Raven.

In any case, I'm confused... what about the flat bottles of Duet and Nelson people have been reporting?

Retsinis likes this.
  30. dcgunman

Thanks bro. Must of od'd on too many "hops" last night.

31. My opinion (nothing more than that)... The only barrel aged issue was with BA Token.

BA Odin's Raven was outstanding. Chez Monieux, while it had some odors/flavors I didn't exactly care for (I liked the first CM better) was no more infected than ANY sour beer is supposed to be. The "cheeziness" was a result of the Berliner Weisse brew that was used to blend the beer. I think people are mistaking that for a flaw.

Yes, BA Token has a touch of sourness that I think is wrong for the style, however, they had a keg of it on tap at the pub last week, and I thought the off flavors were so far in the background that it was barely perceivable. The keg had been in cold storage the whole time. Maybe unrefrigerated bottles WERE worse for the warm storage. Danielle at the pub may be interested in those bottles, Brian, she likes that beer, see if she can work something out for you.

BA Odin's Raven (the most recent, unblended version) was aged in NEW Heaven Hill 12 y.o. Bourbon barrels (unlike the BA Token, which was the last beer in older barrels.) I tasted ZERO flaws in it (bottle or draft) and thought it was excellent.

Those are the barrels that now hold the barleywine, and, considering it's following the OR in there, should be REALLY tasty- in another 10-12 months, after aging.

I think that the people who are complaining about flaws in the BA Odin's Raven and Chez Monieux are mistaken (at best) or don't know what they're talking about (at worst.)

Let the debate continue!

32. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I don't think people were claiming there are infection flaws in Chez Monieux. I think they were complaining that it's terrible.

Tieman likes this.
  33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

No, people complaining about Chez Monieux are saying that it tasted so bad that something had to have gone wrong, because normal beer just does not taste like that. That's on my list of "worst beers of 2012".

I haven't had the new Odin's Raven, but that was because the old one wasn't particularly good, and after I drank it people were talking about infection. I'm not totally sure if anyone has claimed that the new batch is bad.

34. The first batch of Odin's was definitely infected. I had it on tap several times and thought it was fine, but it was undrinkable out of the bottle. I haven't heard anyone say that the second batch was infected.

The first batch of BA Token in bottles was infected also. I did a side-by-side of 2 bottles that had been refrigerated since the release, and 2 that had been sitting in my closet. All 4 were drainpours. So, despite what Alpine would have you believe, refrigeration was not the issue. On a side note, my roommate probably thought I was crazy going through 4 bombers of beer solo that night.

BrianTheBrewer30, SageO and ehammond1 like this.
  35. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (320) California Jan 11, 2010

Fail.

36. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

And I believe the issue with BA Token was only in the bottles. It likely picked up an infection during bottling.

Butyric acid is a flaw and it is very distinct and noticeable in the beer. It is the result of a contamination. Likely picked up during the brewing of the Berliner Weiss, and it appears (through my own research online) that picking up a butyric acid-causing infection is rather common in Berliner Weiss brewing.

It seems that all of the complaints that I've heard are actually true. I have experienced all of these issues for myself and I feel that I know what I'm talking about.

vacax, Tieman and BrianTheBrewer30 like this.
  37. dcgunman

I bought 1 bottle of the Odin Raven the first day it was released at the brewery. My very first time I had it. Yes I did have a glass of it inside the pub afterwards. Heard so much rave about it thought I better try it this time while getting growlers of Bad Boy and the usual bottles of ipa's. Opened the bottle a week later with bro-inlaw. I thought it tasted good. But thats me. I usually dont drink stouts, porters or the darker brews. So what do I know? Maybe the cigar I had with it made it taste good to me.
    But the latest bottles of PURE. Thats a different story.

OTB likes this.
  38. The first batch of BA Odin's Raven and BA Token were infected as all get out. BA Token was pretty good at the pub but if you let those bottles sit for a couple of months, you couldn't even tell they were the same beer. BA Odin's Raven also suffered from the same problem.

39. MacNCheese

Fail in that I'm wrong or fail that they self distribute? They make so little beer I didn't think they had signed on with a distributor like Stone.

40. You are the one who is very very wrong pal. I have opened many of those bottles with many people who live in alpine and around SD (like me) and we have all said the same thing. The bottles sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.