1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine, you have a problem

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought 4 of the recent batch of Odin's Raven and every single bottle was FANTASTIC.
  2. Alpine is distributed through Artisan Ales in Pasadena
    Tieman likes this.
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Huh, they can't even make enough for the home market. Learn something new everyday.
  4. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Correct.

Also, I was at the pub yesterday and they pulled the last few bottles of PH out of fridge. Suprised it took them this long but as long as they addressed the issue that's all that be done at this point. They are exchanging PH for Nelson.

That T25 was absolutely amazing!!!!
  5. I was just at the brewery on Saturday and some friends and I picked up some bottles. We opened a Nelson (no issues reported as far as I know) and a Duet...both were perfectly normal. However, I have two PH that have yet to be opened, and I will report back when I crack them. FWIW all of the bottles appear to be the "skinny" version.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  6. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

It seems like a good rule of thumb for bottled Alpine beers is to keep them refrigerated and don't cellar them. Hell, they've even told my mom exactly that when she's picked up a few bottles recently for me when I was out of town (Chez Monieux and BA Odin's Raven - neither of which have really had problems for me). Sucks for hoarding WHALES!!! but them's the breaks, enjoy it fresh when it still tastes good.
  7. I've seen Alpine get distributed as far up as Thousand Oaks.
    They're much harder to come by out here than they used to be however.
  8. Yep, flat.
  9. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Take them back to where ever you purchased them for a refund. I had no questions asked when I went to WF. I didnt even bring the bottles with me.
  10. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

The vast majority of affected bottles are Pure Hoppiness. I purchased a mixed case last week, Nelson, Duet, and Pure and the first two Pure were flat and off. The bottles of Nelson and Duet however are some of the finest examples of their respective variety I have had.

Cheers....
  11. OTB

Actually Alpine has a distributor for Pasadena. The bottles affected, luckily for you, accured shortly after you purchased yours so you got fresh carbonated recipe correct examples.

Cheers......
  12. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

The bottle of PH is bad though - so I guess I'll try to get a swap.
  13. "Unfortunately," I got them at the brewery and will have to drive the 30 minutes out there to exchange them. Somehow I kept my receipt though, which may help my cause. I'm almost glad they are exchanging them for Nelson because the Nelson bottle I opened was by far the best Nelson I've had to date.
  14. OTB

I agree 100 %, this is the best batch of Nelson in recent memory. BTW, there will be fresh bottles of Pure for exchange on Tuesday, I will be there on Tuesday and definitely buying more Nelson and swapping out the four bad bottles of Pure.

Cheers.....
  15. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

I'm not saying its wrong for people to be upset with getting bad bottles, but it really seems like some here have an axe to grind with alpine.

Seems like they're taking steps to make it right in this case. If there are other reasons, so be it - but I don't really get some of the fury towards them.
    grandmeaulnes and OTB like this.
  16. OTB

Concur 100 %. The folks at Alpine have always been nothing but responsive and cooperative if I have ever had an issue, which for as much as I buy has been a whopping two times. That's one reason I'm such an Alpine homer, and yea they make the best Ales in America.....OK, thats my take.....

Cheers......
    grandmeaulnes likes this.
  17. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

2/2 on good bottles of Pure from the supposed bad batch. My friend who brought up my beers has been 1/4 on his bottles being good, so that is just all around sucky. My duet was carbed, but a little faded. The Nelson has been great though. I'll test my luck on the pure again probably tonight or tomorrow, I freakin loved the last Pure I had 2 nights ago.
  18. I think people, myself included, are just pointing out that they don't have the best track record when it comes to correcting quality control problems.
    Xul likes this.
  19. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

Duet, Nelson, Mandarin Orange were all great. The PH I kept were flat, one good out of now 6. It is nice that Alpine will replace them, but I am 5 hours away. Will I stop at Alpine again, hell yeah, will I buy as much to go, well that depends.
  20. Just opened a bottle of PH I bought on Saturday afternoon at the brewery and it's delicious as always. Maybe slightly under carbonated (or maybe that's just my mind playing tricks after all this talk) but no complaints here.
  21. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

I had a flat Nelson about 3 months ago. It lacked the fruity nose and taste that I love so much about the brew. It was quickly rectified two weeks later. On the otherhand, I have never had an issue with PH or Duet for bottles.
  22. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

From the waist down, I had my 3rd Pure Hopiness today. 3/3 on good bottles. This bottle I shared with Baldo, very well carbonated. A ton of floaties though. Still great. The Duets I've had were lacking though. Nelson though, just amazing stuff.

Let me know next time you are down south...
  23. Do you happen to have the fat and slim versions of the bottles? You should post a pic of the two if available, please.
    jeffhammett likes this.
  24. drewone

drewone Advocate (720) California Sep 18, 2006

Got a flat PH last night - bummer, had to drain pour. Will take back to WF.
  25. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

So, I'm reading this thread thinking to myself "shit, I just asked my girlfriend to pick me up some Pure Hoppiness." She's in San Diego for a conference this week and is bringing me back some beers to Michigan/Chicago. It would probably just be best to tell her to forget the PH altogether, I assume?
  26. No...tell her to buy directly from the brewery.
  27. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

The brewery was out as of today. I think they're expecting this batch to be available in bottles sometime this upcoming week. Not sure which day though...
  28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Someone confirm please when new batch is up. I have 4 empty duds to exchange.
  29. OTB

Fresh batch of Pure bottled yesterday, see my new thread.

Cheers....
    heesu likes this.
  30. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Just received both Odin's Raven and Token in a trade. Both have gold caps. Chances these are infected is ___.
  31. Czar_chasm

Also, the BA Token unilaterally replaced a Charleville Box of Chocolates. It seems like from most of the opinions of the bottle beer here, that wasn't really a fair swap...
  32. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Token = ~100% chance of infection
    Odin's Raven = ~50%...supposedly Batch 2 wasn't infected, but they were also telling people to keep them refrigerated, so it doesn't seem like they were very confident.
  33. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

I agree on PureHoppiness I actually been passing them up since my experience.
  34. I just opened a batch 2 Odin's Raven last week that was closet stored. Tasted Awesome.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  35. Czar_chasm

How can I tell what batch it is?
  36. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Was a unique problem specific to 1 batch.
  37. This.
  38. Unfortunately, you can say that about a lot of Alpine Beers.
  39. OTB

Drinking from the last growler of the current PH batch, no complaints.

Cheers.....
  40. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Been to Alpine 3-4 times since the PH-gate. Every bottle I've purchased (a dozen or so, varying brews) have been properly carbonated. The info ABC released states that a power outage wreaked havoc on the PH batch. I'm not exactly sure how a power outage would effect carbonation, but it was clearly a single batch issue. Haven't had a flat Nelson yet. If I do, I'm sure they'll replace.

Recently, Hess (nano in SD) released a statement about a batch that wasn't up to standards. It was going to be their second anniversary beer which they planned to sell for $17 a bottle or so. They were very honest about it, and decided to brew a replacement anniversary beer (different style, different recipe, shorter ferment) and barrel age the first attempt anno ale. They didn't explain exactly why they scrapped the batch, but it was great to see a succesfull nano admit that they had brewed a bad batch of beer. As all homebrewers know, every batch is not created equal. You take some risks (with recipe, not with sanitation!) and sometimes you make mistakes (measurements, forgetting to add that last round of hops). I am curious as to how many nano-micro's actually have the hops to say, "hey, we made a mistake. we're going to do good by it and make you an even better beer."

That being said, I can't say that ABC brewed a "bad" batch of PH, only that they somehow sent under-carbonated bottles out into the market. I trust that they are doing whatever it takes to make sure this never happens again.

Hess' motto: Great beer. No exceptions. No excuses.
    Alpine's motto: Drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.