1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine, you have a problem

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Yeah- he did point out that Expo had been added to the bottle list on the morning of the secret release. Let me by the first four bottles. And he's damn good at keeping up with facebook posts. They're all Midwesterners up there.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I sent my wife up to buy expo - posted a pic I took of her on the webcam - he saw it before she even left and wrote evilc on the box!
    sbuysse and grandmeaulnes like this.
  3. evilc

Did they screw over the blonde guy that has been there since DAY ONE kicking ass? Think Mike is his name? ( no not thinking of Mike Hess himself )
    mrelizabeth likes this.
  4. evilc

Guy on the left:

[​IMG]
  5. mrelizabeth

It's tricky with small, family-run businesses. Sometimes you have a legitimate reason, sometimes you just have differences that can't be worked out. A lot of people work their asses off for not a lot of money in the beer industry- at some point, there have to be differences of opinions and other opportunities. But I haven't even seen a confirmation yet. Just observations and a hunch.
  6. mrelizabeth

Hoping it's just a rumor.
  7. evilc

Wow - that guy is the heart and soul of Hess - at the least the "taproom". If he's gone, Hess lost a big chunk of what defined them.
    SageO likes this.
  8. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Nope, unfortunately.
  9. mrelizabeth

That's why we couldn't believe it. Unless he took a better offer from another brewery. I know he had some options on the table. Solid brewing experience, great taproom presence. Smart guy. Friendly guy. Have never really broken the ice with Mike Hess the times I've met him. Even when complimenting his beer.
  10. mrelizabeth

Bummer. Any idea where he is headed?
  11. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Nope. And even if I did know, I probably wouldn’t feel at liberty to say.
  12. crvzafest

crvzafest Initiate (0) California Apr 9, 2006

This is just like when Jessica left Alesmith. She was the heart and soul of the tasting room.
  13. mrelizabeth

Yeah- it's a tough business, and not everyone in it has a heart of gold. But you can usually tell the good ones when you meet them. I suppose we should get this thread back on track.
  14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

RE: Alpine being a nano.

Alpine is not a nano brewery. Where on earth did that nonsense come from?

Hess is a 2bbl nano (large scale homebrew, and it shows), but they're going to open a 30BBL big boy brewhouse and I really hope their beer gets better. I do not understand the hype surrounding their average beer. A year after they've been brewing on the North Park system, I'll be sure to hit them up.

Alpine will continue to kick ass.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  15. That was so last week...
  16. MacNCheese

They sell everything they make and the system is maxed out. Sounds like they're doing just fine. It's still a small brewhouse, they make 1,500BBL a year and they will have downtime, hard to hire lots of extra hands to sit around and do nothing. Meanwhile, brewers who want to work fulltime have a hard time working parttime. Ya dig?

I'm sure they're getting their malts and hops from the same manufacturers/distributors that everyone else is getting. There aren't many sources. Like everyone else, they're on a hop contract that's delievered when it's been processed, everything is stored in their cold box, just like every other brewery. Grain is delievered on an as-needed basis.

Pat has said repeatedly in his emails that he brews for the town of Alpine. If you want some, drive there to get it. He could charge higher prices (and they did raise prices to generate more revenue for the new brewhouse), but he has a strong sense of community and doesn't feel the need to gouge Alpine residents who are his main buyers. Price isn't affecting quality.

Don't buy bottles, buy growler fills. Alpine isn't a Nano either. Hess also sells substandard beer, it's glorified homebrew.

Alpine makes great beer, but to say it's the best is a big statement. There are tons of highly qualified and great breweries in SD. I love Alpine as much as I do the Pizza Ports, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, etc...
  17. I'll support Hess when they make decent beer.
  18. .

Pat has said repeatedly in his emails that he brews for the town of Alpine. If you want some, drive there to get it. He could charge higher prices (and they did raise prices to generate more revenue for the new brewhouse), but he has a strong sense of community and doesn't feel the need to gouge Alpine residents who are his main buyers. Price isn't affecting quality.

Alpine makes great beer, but to say it's the best is a big statement. There are tons of highly qualified and great breweries in SD. I love Alpine as much as I do the Pizza Ports, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, etc...[/quote]

Well said. And, in fact, most of Alpine Beer Co's customers are from outside Alpine. Alpinians (Alpiners?) tend to be BMC/Lite drinkers, and since ABC has never advertised, many locals still don't know they're there, even after 10 years. So "Local" is still SD County...
  19. MacNCheese

Since I don't work there I shouldn't comment on who their client base is. It's a very small town and everyone knows everyone, I'd have a hard time believing most people don't know about the little brewery with the little cafe.

They produce ~1,500BBL/yr, so that makes them a very small operation.
  20. evilc

Solid point!
  21. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

Matter of opinion. That's yours, but I very much do not agree, but that's my opinion & obviously others since they still sell beer & have not gone out of business.

MacNChees said :
    Not sure what hype Hess has ever had, quite the opposite imo as they haven't exactly exploded in size, scale, or scop in their first two years. Just some of us enjoy their beers as they are, enjoy them quite a lot in fact, while others think its no better then an average homebrew, but that could be said about other breweries too, probably every day on this site. Different palates, different opinions, won't agree, but also don't have to either.

Anyway that's my piece, I've derailed/off topic to this Apline thread enough.

22. Yup I couldn't agree more. San Diego is getting tougher and tougher for start up breweries because there are so many others to compare to. Whether I like them or not I am glad they are able to expand and move to a larger building.
  23. mrelizabeth

Brewing beer isn't easy. Selling it isn't easy. Drinking it is, and critiquing it is, too. I appreciate all of our local breweries- the great ones that will be around for awhile along with the guys who have already closed. Sometimes it was bad business, sometimes it was bad beer. But it has been a learning experience every time.

I'm fairly new to the BA boards, and I'm amazed at the defensive nature of some responses, as well as a lack of actual beer talk. I was sucked in there for a minute, but I would much rather talk about Alpine's brewing process, and how they get all of those great hops into their APA's and IPA's.

I've been on the boards for about a week, but I've read and responded to way too many negative threads. I'm vowing to knock it off. I'm here to celebrate beer, and to learn as much as possible about it.
    MSardina1 and SatlyMalty like this.
  24. mrelizabeth

If you do head over to try Hess, the Grazias is a good example of a cream ale. Not easy to find in SD. Grazias Induresco (w/ coffee) is pretty good, too. I've heard that "The Blend" (a black IPA and a Cascadian Ale mixed together- I know, I know same thing) is pretty awesome.
  25. MacNCheese

Every Pizza Port has a cream ale. So there's another 4 right there.

Alpine uses a ton of hops, you want big hop flavor you adjust you water chemistry correctly, then have a good grain bill that offers little competition against the flavor of the hops (aka little to none crystal malt), then add a shit ton of hops late in the boil, plus in the whirlpool, plus use a hop back, plus use a ton of dry hops. Or something like that. I think it's their grist that really allows the hops to shine.

Google 'hop bursting' for a homebrewer's method to mimic the pros as well as the Hop Rocket.
  26. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (410) California Jan 23, 2011

Just had a completely flat bottle of Nelson. Bought from bine and vine yesterday. They're still out there. Shame
  27. vapodge

vapodge Aficionado (215) Florida Nov 24, 2009

Got one from B&V Wednesday and it was fine.
  28. Hahahahahahahaha Lost Abbey. Thank you for giving me a good laugh.
    tyrsis and Xul like this.
  29. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (410) California Jan 23, 2011

lucky...
  30. Expo sucked, good Nelson is amazing, Bad Boy was bad ass, Duet is solid, Pure is a pass for me, never had any BA Alpine beers but I can pretty much guess they ain't as good as, let's say any vintage of Firestone's anniversary blends. Enjoy By, Simtra, Dugana ( yes I included that!) Double Jack (when fresh) are all right in there for me, some better than others but all top class. Is Alpine amazing? For the most part yes, but don't sleep on the West Coast goodies we have right in front of our noses!
    OTB likes this.
  31. Can I add fresh Mongo as the Encore? Hallelujah!
    OTB likes this.
  32. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (225) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

Hoppy Birthday crushes every pale in SD. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
  33. MacNCheese

Lost Abbey makes great draft beer. Just don't buy the bottles.
  34. Every hoppy beer Alpine makes is better than Simtra imo. I've only had it once but I found it to be a mess.
    westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  35. I would rather drink water.
  36. jedwards likes this.
  37. How'd this become a "Lost Abbey, you have a problem" thread?
  38. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

EDIT: Ah nevermind
  39. gooby pls. this post makes no sense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.