1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alpine, you have a problem

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by OTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (275) California Jun 9, 2010

success.

2. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

JOke. FML autocorrect

3. Freshness matters

4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Good thing they bottle date. Oh wait...

grandmeaulnes likes this.
  5. Can only assume it was super fresh. Got and drank it the first day it hit SD shops a couple months back. It was a mess.

6. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Shared two bombers of Nelson last night at Urge in Rancho Bernardo. While the flavors were good, the carbonation seemed unusually low, the lacing almost nonexistent. Mouth feel was more on the "buttery" side, and there was a fair amount of sediment. Mind you, this was the first Nelson I've had in months, but I recalled this thread.

7. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

What that suspect Nelson looked like. Pretty bummed, as it's my favorite beer.

[​IMG]

8. I had a bomber of Pure Hoppiness over the weekend that was a little on the flat side. I was hoping this had been fixed but apparently it wasn't. Might have to just make periodic trips to have it fresh or hope O'Briens has it because if it's not on tap it just isn't the same. I don't have any personal experience but is it really hard to bottle beer that's properly carbonated?

9. I had a bottle of Nelson and pure recently that were both "off."

10. For some breweries, it is a perpetual problem.

mrkrispy, seeswo and errantnight like this.
  11. Hopefully there will be no problems once they start to can. Also I do not know of these bottle issues because I only drink Alpine straight from the tap...life is tough.

12. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Their beer always seems much, much better from the pub. Even the tap's at O'briens usually taste a bit flat to me (though that might be their issue, as other non-Alpine beers have also tasted that way to me.)

13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Considering Duet won bronze at GABF and it all comes off the same bottling line...I wonder about the quality of the reports here.

14. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (825) California Nov 29, 2006

I imagine they'd made damn sure that the beer they're sending to GABF is properly carbonated, be it bottling by hand or doing a special small bottling run.

15. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Sorry - I'm sure this has been asked before, but this seems as good a place as any to ask.

How many days will an Alpine growler typically keep, unopened? Refrigerated / Handled carefully / etc.

I generally try to not let them go more than a handful of days, but just curious what the typical shelf-life is w/ the style of growler they use.

(AKA...hoping my growler of Nelson from the other day is still nice and crisp.)

16. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

I've never had any problems at all with their unopened growlers. I'm not sure why that is but for some reason they have always held up better than other screw tops (Lost Abbey, Pizza Port, Green Flash) and even better than some flip tops (The Bruery, Stone) for me. I guess maybe because they fill way to the brim and then crank down on the cap. I'm not sure if I've ever gone longer than a week or two (mostly cause I found a time to drink them anyway) but anything in that range should be fine.

heesu likes this.
  17. I got a bottle of Duet a few weeks ago from Bine & Vine, pretty much fresh from Alpine (Geoi had made a run to Alpine that morning). I thought it tasted fine, but it definitely was low on the carbonation - as was the bottle of Pure Hoppiness I got at the same time.

18. The judges' samples were poured from a bottle?

19. MacNCheese

It was. All judged beer at GABF is from the bottle.

20. Interesting. I didn't know that. To be sure, the bad Alpine bottles are somewhat of a rarity. But regardless of the bottles being bad or not, Alpine still seems to struggle with filling them properly. The volume of even the good bottles is very inconsistent. I still love Alpine and will continue to go as often as I can, but I think I'm going to stay away from their bottles for a while.

21. MacNCheese

Fill growlers, taste it before you buy. I live 20minutes away from Alpine and am there at least once a month. I rarely buy bottles and thus am rarely disappointed.

22. I'm in the same boat but I happen to get bottles from time to time as well, which you clearly can't taste beforehand and, frankly, shouldn't have to.

23. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (295) California Apr 27, 2011

This problem should be clearing up they had some poweroutage issues that messed up the calibration on the carbonation

24. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

I just picked up growlers and bottles today. The bottle of Nelson I am just starting to enjoy is perfect, actually its a great batch, and the brisket sammy was as always delish !

Cheers......

25. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I was just browsing the GABF website, and it sounds like you have to put a special label on your beer, so I don't think Alpine could just pull Duet off the bottling line and send that. They would have to grab it before it got to the labeler, but I'm not sure how Alpine's line operates. I have heard of brewers filling bottles from kegs using a beer gun. I've had a bunch of Apline beer from the bottle over the past few years and the carbonation hasn't ever been super high, not a bad thing, but I think it is a fine line between flat and not a ton of carbonation. Like others have said, kegs have better carbonation, in my experience.

26. MacNCheese

The special label is for competition purposes. Regular labeled production beer is submitted as well as plain brown bottles that have a label form them brewery to I'd what's inside.

27. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Many, if not most, of the beers entered into the GABF have their regular labels on them. The special label is simply a small rectangular Avery-style label with the brewery and beer name, and category information. The bottles of Duet and Nelson entered into the competition had the regular labels on them with the additional Avery label I mentioned.

28. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Which one of you guys is right or are you saying the same thing? I read they had to ship competition beer and beer for the public separately. I only have knowledge of homebrew competitions where you can't have any label besides the one for the competition. Maybe Duet has better carbonation for some random reason. Most people here complain about Nelson and Pure Hoppiness right?

29. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

We're both saying the same thing. I worked as cellar crew for the competition this year so I saw it all firsthand. That is the way the BA (Brewer's Association) runs competitions. World Beer Cup was ran the same way.

They want the competition bottles to be seperate from the public consumption bottles because it is easier to handle for competition/festival logistics. I can tell you the the logistics are very well though out and work almost seamlessly and they have their reasons for everything they require for competition submittals.

edit: some beers are entered as labeled beers (Alpine's beers for example), but some beers are entered as unlabel brown bottles (breweries that don't have bottling lines, or just prefer to counter-pressure fill bottles for the competition). All beers are required to have the special competition label, regardless if they have their regular labels or not.

30. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Disclaimer: I LOVE Alpine. Period.
    BUT... I live almost 2 hours away (in OC), so I don't have the luxury of visiting the pub whenever I feel like a fresh pint of Bad Boy/Nelson/Expo/Pure (in that order, lol). So I need to have confidence in the quality of their bottles and growler fills. At the moment, I do not. (MANY under-carbed bombers of Nelson and Pure are the reason.) But I do, in fact, have COMPLETE confidence in Pat to remedy the current problems he's facing. I'm just relying on reports from Alpine locals (bros like Evilc and Macncheese) to let me know when it's safe to drive back up there for growlers and bombers (or cans)...

31. Its always safe to go up for growlers bro.

32. correct. alpine growlers always safe bro.

33. ImJ2x

But I try to drink my growlers within 3-4 days. So I like to augment my growlers with some bottles bro.

34. Oh they're not that rare. Let's not forget the rampant diacetyl issues they've had over the years.

35. Bought a bottle of Alpine Nelson and Ichabod from Liquor Mart in Whittier yesterday. Nelson was fine, but the Ichabod was distinctly phenolic - strong plastic, band-aid aroma and flavor. After a few sips shared around the table for curiosity sake, drain poured.

36. ImJ2x

Now, this is just me talking out of my (semi-lit Sunday morning NFL time) a$$, but it seems like Alpine is missing a piece of the puzzle. Pat is unquestionably a nearly iconic recipe genius. He flat out KNOWS how to formulate a great-tasting IPA. But he could probably benefit greatly from a geeky, lab coat-wearing, obsessive/compulsive detail-fixated brewing expert; a "mad scientist" with a penchant for beer. (A guy like me, but, ya know... smart.) Maybe Pat should start accepting resumes...

37. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (325) California Jan 11, 2010

That sounds a lot like Pat.

38. ImJ2x

Pat may be smart, but I don't think he's anything like me. Lucky for us all.

39. Please people just stop drinking Alpine all together. The beer is just awful and flat and infected. Let the bottles sit on shelves and the rest of us will buy them and suffer :)

40. Now that sounds like a sad 'ol country western song: "My beer let me down today and so I made that brewer pay..."

2beerdogs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.