1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Am I The Only Beer Geek That Saves Empty Bottles?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Hamburgers, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I've been saving empty bottles of beer for a while now. Mostly just some of the rarities. The beer is gone but I hate letting go. Does anybody else save their empties?

yamar68 likes this.
  2. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Short answer to thread title. No. :D

3. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

VonZipper likes this.
  4. Its not just you.... I've got them lined up from best to worst. There is alot of glass on those shelves.

beerepiphany and Hamburgers like this.
  5. I think he is talking about trophys, not for reuse.

DonDirkA likes this.
  6. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I keep all the ones from the beers I love. My bestfriend keeps them and that's his way of rating them.

7. No you are not. I was saving one of every beer I tried, but after a few months I began to run out of space. So what I did is, I soaked all those bottles until the labels peeled off, and I put them in an album. Next step is to make a beer-label-table. I inherited a cool wooden folding table from my grandparents that my grandfather covered with wine labels, and the clear coated over. That gave me the inspiration to make a similar table with beer labels. I also save various bottlecaps, which I make into coasters.

I also save some bottles with printed on labels, and some cans to display when I build my bar.

8. That's a great Idea. Thanks.

DonDirkA likes this.
  9. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I sell them back to the homeless people for 4 cents a bottle.

Lol I'm just kidding, that would be mean. 3 cents is my going rate.

ditka311, GetMeAnIPA, kevanb and 7 others like this.
  10. You're not alone, my friend. I always keep some of the most memorable brew bottles around, based on how I liked the contents, label art, etc. I add to my collection as I go of course, and every once in awhile, I sort through the bottles and recycle a portion. Keeps the display from getting too out of control.

zekeman17 and GFG like this.
  11. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

My fiancee thinks it weird, but I save all my bottles, date them with a silver paint marker, a gold one for my favorites. They reside in boxes for now. I will make a trophy shelf one day.

RobertColianni and DonDirkA like this.
  12. Hehe... De-location... My wife tells me I'm retarded whenever I watch that show. I think it's funny

Hamburgers likes this.
  13. Frddymck

Frddymck Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013

I was saving them but quickly ran out of room, Now I just take a picture or two. Have several images on flickr as well as Facebook.

14. i could not agree more. this is exactly what i do.

DonDirkA and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  15. i do this too

16. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

I just save the labels. Only bottles I ever consider saving are awesome looking silkscreens.

17. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I save certain specialties and rarities or just really good brews. I also save one of everything that isn't year round from Stone and DFH. Stone because their bottles are what got me started saving and DFH because they're my favorite and they make a lot of cool labels. I have 4 wine/bomber boxes full of bottles plus another box or 2 worth just sitting around my room. Those are the extras. Then I have my shelf. The only picture I have of it is a waayyy outdated one from almost 2 years ago, but it is what it looked like then

[​IMG]

Its much more cluttered now lol.

18. Ciocanelu

Ciocanelu Advocate (510) Romania Aug 30, 2012

I save all the bottles. I'm currently at ~650.
    I also have an app on my phone that lets me add a photo, name, type, description and rating.

19. I've met a few people who do this and I was close to saving mine at one time but with 600+ reviews now, that would have required a new room or a few racks, at the least.

Instead, I just cut out the sides of the sleeves for any 6-packs where I've had at least one one of the bottles inside of them. It's just a big box for me now and someday, I'll have a wall (or maybe part of a bar) with all the sleeves of the beers I've been fortunate enough to enjoy over the years.

20. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I have no room for thousands and thousands of empties. It would be like an awesome episode of hoarders if I kept every bottle I've popped.

21. I just started saving them. Wish I had started sooner

22. [​IMG]

nope haha. Pic is from awhile ago but yeah. Can't really fit much more onto my shelf so now i'm just switching out bottles based on preference (and admittedly, sometimes on label design... i mean i want it to look nice! :p )

KolbMarley and DonDirkA like this.
  23. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I started doing exactly this and my wife threw a whole bunch of them in the same box I obtained via trading...

24. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I started doing this with Sam Adams since that's what got me into craft type beers (I'm only a couple months past 22). After 46 of them I realized I'd never have enough space since they release at least 10+ new beers per year. Now I rarely drink Sam Adams and basically save every bottle of a beer I thought was exceptional or has really awesome art work. Sometimes I'll save the bottle if it's a beer rare to my area that I may never have again, even if it wasn't a favorite and the artwork isn't that great.

My collection now is pretty much Surly, BCSB, Hopslam, DFH, etc. Basically just a bunch of good beers.

25. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

this is where my wife drew the line. so yes, i have tried, but ultimately ending up throwing them away. the only bottle I have left is a Westy 12

LarryAppleton likes this.
  26. Care to share how you make coasters from caps? Thanks!

27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I used to keep every bottle from whatever new beer I try. The wife put up with it for a while as I engulfed our kitchen and filled closets with empties. Then one day she snapped and I had to toss all but the rarities and out of state bottles.

28. I used to...When I was in my 20's.

Now I save them to fill with tasty home-brew!

29. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

<-----------------Old pic but I have 276 empties so far.

30. Make glasses out of them...that way they are not collecting dust.

31. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I am PLANNING on removing the labels for another purpose (table top or posters for wall) but in the meantime I have a few hundred piling up and I am running out of room.... quick.

I will also keep a few on the bottle for my hall of fame.

32. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

A mate of mine has been keeping an empty of every bottle he's drunk for the last 18 years. He's well over a thousand now. Luckily for his marriage he has a huuuuge basement.

I have a shelf in my kitchen that will hold about thirty empties or so. This is my limit. If I want to add an empty to the shelf, I have throw another one away. Every now and then I do a mass purge to make more room. This space limit keeps the collection from getting out of hand.

Jeff

33. I used to, but after they piled up, I only save bombers and the like now. The big bottles seem so much more impressive. I'll hold on to a good 12oz bottle if it's memorable. I'm thinking of opening a bottle shop and using the empties to make a wall. :eek:

34. I have been saving one of every beer I try but I've missed a few that were one offs or were sampled while traveling. Anybody into trading empty bottles?

35. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I personally do not save anything. No bottles, no labels, no caps.. Nothing against it, I just see no reason to.

ditka311 likes this.
  36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

No reason?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forget which member here did these, so I had to just google image it.

DonDirkA and Hamburgers like this.
  37. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Yep, No reason for me. Like I said, Its cool if you guys want to save everything, but I throw it all away. I've got enough junk piling up in my house with toys from 2 young kids. You are welcome to come raid my recycle bin every monday night.

38. Ciocanelu

Ciocanelu Advocate (510) Romania Aug 30, 2012

I had the same idea. :) Just that I want to open a bar.

DonDirkA likes this.
  39. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

One of every bottle, started in college... I have a huge attic, and it is much smaller now. Well over 8000 if I had to guess. Probably way more. Not sure why I started and I need to quit, as I want to move. Probably along the lines of a beer wall at a bar or brewery too. Wonder how much I can get at a recycling center. With that said, anyone wants any empties, let me know.

40. I never saved any until moving into an apartment last April with a wall that ends about a foot below the ceiling. It seemed to be just begging for 99 (empty) bottles of beer. Alas, only 76 bottles fit on one side of said wall.