1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Am I The Only Beer Geek That Saves Empty Bottles?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Hamburgers, Jan 28, 2013.

1. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

I have a few bottles, like 3,... i plan on saving another 5-10 when i finally drink those beers.
  2. I used to save all of my bottles (still have 5 or 6 cases in storage). That got a little out of hand, so then I just started saving bottles with really cool looking labels or from a beer that that I really liked. That got a bit out of hand, too. Now I've just got 80-100 bottles above the bar, some cool looking, some favorites, but most because of a memory--where I had it, who I was with etc. Every once in a while a new one goes up and an old one comes down.
  3. You're definitely not alone as a bottle collector. I started 10-12 years ago but I've slowed down due to a lack of wall space, and now a lack of case storage space. There are about 1,400-1,55 on display in my basement. (I have about 10 cases of bottles stored until I figure out if I will ever display them.) A collage photo is displayed in this thread from last year along with other replies on this topic: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/1-047-different-beer-labels-whats-your-count.30383/
  4. Wow! Those bottle cap mosaics are amazing.
  5. I have saved some of the more special empty bottles and cans. Usually I just recycle though.
  6. Basically, build a frame big enough to hold 9 bottlecaps out of your favorite material, Im going to use various exotic woods with a backing made of also wood, *FINISH WOOD AT THIS POINT* glue bottle caps down in frame, mix and pour in liquid plastic until it covers the caps, but doesn't overflow onto the surface of the frame.

Allow to harden, sand and polish if necessary (usually not necessary).

Tell Balki I said hi!
    LarryAppleton likes this.
  7. I started to, but I am not sure if I will keep going. Probably got about 75 right now. If I decide to toss them they recycle guy is going to be pissed... ha!
  8. [​IMG]

My girlfriend likes to save our favorite bottles, or anything that looks cool, to use as candles. I plan on buying a glass cutter to remove the tops, then filling them to make actual large candles.
  9. MarkoNm

MarkoNm Savant (325) Slovenia Nov 13, 2013

I keep them on shelves. I have the will, the space, so why not
  10. White Chocolate is one of your favorites? Please take my bottles...
  11. I do have the empty Toppling Goliath KBBS bottle. The remnants in the bottle are amazing. It still smells just like maple syrup.
  12. Hah not mine, but for whatever reason she loves them
  13. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (445) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

I've posted this in another thread, but I always keep some of the "big boys/whale" empty bottles on a wine rack in my kitchen. This is a sure-fire conversation starter at parties.
  14. Guy #1: Hey man, I see you have a bunch of empty BA Dark Lord bottles. Did you drink all of those?

Guy #2: Yeah, I drank every BA Dark Lord bottle on that shelf.

Guy #1: My condolences.
  15. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (445) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

Yes, there is a ba dark lord in my house. Just not on the wine rack(yet)
  16. I save any and all Christmas ones that I do not have..
  17. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

You don't need a glass cutter. To be honest I haven't read the article so it may not work for all bottles but this seems interesting.

http://lifehacker.com/turn-beer-bot...rce=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
  18. I save good bottles until my lady starts bitching, then I de-label em and get rid of the bottles. But there's a few that I keep as a collection.Like all my Flying Dogs for the bottle art and 1 of every Stone that I can find around here. I plan on installing a shelf around the top of my Smokin' Drankin' Room to hold some of my favorite bottle designs. The labels are getting decoupaged onto something in the future. Most likely my next coffee table. I have one covered in Skate stickers now
  19. When you finally drink a sought after whale, do you hang onto the bottle for display/collection purposes? Toss it in the trash? I'm hoping to hear some interesting ideas!
  20. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (390) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

I used to keep the bottles. But then I ended up with a trashy looking bar area filled with empties. So, I started taking the labels off and gluing them to paper; easier storage. I'm probably going to cover a basement coffee table in them, or make a scrapbook with labels and reviews.
    Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  21. Clever! That's a really cool idea.
  22. I want to keep the really special ones, but there isn't really a lot of room in my place. Plus it's not that often that I find 'sought after whales,' so I usually just recycle them, since it's good to recycle and New York has a bottle deposit.
  23. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Fill them up with Bud and recap. Sell to people who seak out whalez....
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I save all my empties, clean them up, and fill them with homebrew.
    FinchSCF likes this.
  25. To the rubbish
  26. Duesler

Duesler Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 30, 2012

I keep 100 bottles (my top 100), every time i drink a beer thats better than my #100, my #100 gets booted.
    My collection gets better and better with time.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  27. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

Agreed. Living in a NYC apartment, space is at a premium. I recycle everything I can get regularly and keep the exceptionally rare and/or hard to get.

Since Bell's started distro in Westchester, I threw away my Kalamazoo Stout, and there is no longer a reason to hold onto the Expedition Stout I have in my fridge.

Otherwise, I am currently keeping: Cascade Apricot Ale, Boulevard Saison-Brett, FW Parabola, Deschutes Black Butte Porter and Obsidian Stout.

Meanwhile, I have RR Consecration and a Lost Abbey Red Poppy in the fridge, which will be added to the collection once I drink them.
    DagenhamDavis likes this.
  28. I have quite a collection of 12 & 22 oz. bottles and a few cans as well but I'm running out of room in the garage and my wife won't let me display them in the house [I don't blame her] so I plan to convert my bomber bottles into drinking glasses. Time for a garage organizing project.
  29. I keep the bottle if it's not already in my collection, or I return it for the 10 cent deposit, or strip the label and use the bottle for homebrew and add the label to my collection.
  30. Duesler

Duesler Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 30, 2012

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

My recycling bin is the pride of the block. =)
  32. Yeah a little over 1,800 bottles, but only around 1,200-1,300 on display. (I ran out of room. :()
    Duesler likes this.
  33. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

34. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Recycle bin.

The only empties I have on "display" are ones with nautical/sea labels on an Ikea shelf because most of the themes in my house are nautical. I blame Anchor Steam for this.
  35. Bomber bottles that have painted labels I'm saving to attempt to make drinking glasses out of like someone posted here a couple weeks ago.
    The rest go in my recycle bin, it smells great in my garage where the bin is, and I think mine makes the most chatter on recycle day!
  36. tmm313

tmm313 Savant (420) Georgia Nov 6, 2011

I have a small "hall of fame". 1 or 2 from my "gateway" days, a few from moments, and a few for just being awesome. I'll remove a bottle if I find one worthy enough to replace it. The rest are recycled.
  37. end_27

end_27 Savant (420) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

I've been removing the labels and storing them on wax paper so I create a oak table and schlock the hell out of it with all the labels of great beers I've drank over the years. I have a overflowing envelope full already and growing.

+++As a heads up for the BA followers who might use my idea....Paper labels like Lagunitas, Founders or FFF can be removed by a bucket of hot water and put in a scoop of oxy clean, fill the bottles with water so they sit at the bottom of the bucket, wait bout 10 mins and the label will either be floating in the water or they'll peel right of the bottle and just lay to dry. Other labels that might be rubber/or the film over it such as Pipeworks, Two Bros, Clown Shoes, Hoppin' Frog you can put in the microwave for a 1min - 1min 15secs, and what happens is the heat loosens up the glue (careful!!! the bottle will be HOT) and you can pick a corner and it'll come right off, just sticky on the back. I use wax paper bc it'll come right off when the times right for my table.+++

Hope I gave you guys another idea possibly...for those interested as what todo with your dead soldier labels!
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    TheEvilOnionKnight likes this.
  38. WOW
  39. Like the Rogue bottles?
  40. I keep bottle caps in a pint glass. No duplicates though, so if I hypothetically have Pliny the Elder and Younger, I just keep one RR cap. The bottles get tossed in the recycle bin (or kept for homebrew if they have a swingtop).