1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

American Craft Availability in Kuala Lumpur

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kspringman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. kspringman

kspringman Disciple (55) Minnesota Jun 26, 2011

I may be headed to Malaysia for work for the next several years. I'm a bit worried about the beer situation as I know that craft brews - especially American - is limited due to imports and taxes. I'm aware that larger cities like Kuala Lumpur have brands I'm familiar with (like Mikkeller, Hitachino, Brewdog, etc) but what American craft beer would I be able to find in KL?

Also, Ill be traveling to KL in early December. Any BA recommended beer bars worth checking out in KL?

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Rogue will be your best bet for US beers in KL. Try Taps beer bar. Singapore and Tokyo have more US beer available.
    Mostly Euro and Australian craft. Try some Kooinda or Mountain Goat if you find it.
    Mountain Goat is in the CBC next year and a very good brewery. Top 2-3 breweries in Australia.

Am an Expat living in Sydney, you will find Mikkeller will become your go to brewery there.

3. GaryGreen

GaryGreen Aspirant (25) Indonesia Jan 3, 2013

I lived there for 14 years but I've been gone for 3 now. It was pretty slim pickings when I was there. Best was Brewerkz in Singapore but you don't find any of that in KL. Leff was alright... that's about all I can remember. Please report back on what you find there.

4. coyote711

coyote711 Disciple (70) New York Aug 4, 2010

My GF will be heading to KL next week. Is there a craft beer bottle shop in KL? What craft beer is common in KL? TIA

5. Try Ales & Lagers. https://www.facebook.com/AlesLagers Cheers!