1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

American craft breweries that distribute to Europe

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by InVinoVeritas, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Saw this posting a while back, and I guess I had a delayed developing thought:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/three-floyds-goes-to-europe.14566/

Since seekabrew doesn't extend its database to Europe, what's the distribute of craft American brews like in Europe? I know when I was in Australia, my most recent overseas trip, there were only a couple of the larger craft breweries, like Sierra Nevada. However, for the most part there wasn't much. What do you think the future will be like? How well received are our brews (Australia don't think it was to the taste of many), too hopped up, different cultures, or are we going to see a renaissance where distribution goes crazy? Wouldn't mind a couple Europeans feedback to feed my curiosity. Cheers!
  2. Sierra Nevada
    Brooklyn
    Anchor
    Rogue
    Stone
    Goose Island
    Flying Dog
    Green Flash
    Odell
    Sam Adams
    Victory
    Uinta
    Element
    Drakes
    Kona
    Maui
    Stillwater
    Pretty Things
    Sly Fox
    The Bruery
    Shipyard
    Fordham
    Weyerbacher
    Dominion
    Bear Republic
    Anchorage
    Beer Valley
    High and Mighty
    Clown Shoes
    Mateveza
    Southern Tier
    Hoppin Frog
    Dark Horse
    The Lost Abbey
    Jester King
    Cigar City
    Magic Hat
    Bear Republic
    Pyramid
    Cambridge
    Epic
    Smuttynose

Just off the top of my head.
  3. There's this really shit outfit called Brewdog that insists on bringing all the really wanky bits of American beer over here, without any of the good bits.

4. Absolute garbage.
    BrewDog always is a bit of a trail blazer with good American beer which often can be found no where else in the UK. In recent weeks they have been showcasing beers from Firestone Walker and Alesmith with such beers as Union Jack IPA, Double Jack IPA, Wooley Jack, Old Numbskull, Horny Devil, Alesmith IPA, Yulesmith Summer, Speedway Stout etc.

Oh yeah, that stuff's 'wanky...without any of the good buts'. Very funny.

Its funny though, I was having this discussion at a couple of tastings in Edinburgh is recent weeks and the census from those in the know (ie people who've deen driking US craft for many years and those in the industry) is that the range of American beers available in the UK is growing all the time. Especially in the last couple of years. In fact American beers, which many of us traded just months previously, are now turning up on retailers shops. And even more frustratingly, in demand beers from the likes of Dogfish Head and Great Divide are no longer being exported because of domestic US demand. Its safe to say that open minded beer lovers here LOVE American craft beer. Its influence on UK breweries in recent years has been huge.
    coltsr2 likes this.
  5. I think there is a gulf of difference between 'distribute' and 'is available'. Although Essexman's list is comprehensive it's also misleading as many of those breweries do not distribute to Europe but some of their beers have been imported in limited amounts.
  6. I'm not sure InVino was actually making s distinction between distribution and availability.

BTW, since when did October become 'Have go at Essex' month?
  7. They're also all available to buy now here in the UK.
  8. The bit about DFH made me sad. 90 minute ipa and PSM are some of the best beers i've tasted.
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  9. and the question was which Breweries distribute to Europe, all I was saying is there is a gulf of difference between a Brewer distributing their beer and someone importing in small, irregular, quantities
  10. He wanted to know which beers you get over here, and I answered him as such. You're just nitpicking.
  11. not nitpicking, if you don't understand what the difference is then have a beer and chill
  12. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Here's a thought for both of you. Are you sure the OP understands the difference?
    Zimbo likes this.
  13. That's what I was saying. And does the difference really matter?
  14. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Yeah, figured you having reinforcements wouldn't hurt.
  15. Exactly, as I read it he just wanted to know what was available here.
  16. LBerges

LBerges Aficionado (160) Germany Feb 14, 2010

In Germany, there are 6 craft breweries that are widely available:
    Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Victory, Flying Dog, Left Hand, Great Divide.
    Rest is occasional/private import.
  17. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (610) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Really? Where? Not in 99% of most Getränkemarkts in Germany. I've never seen any of those in Karstadt, Kaufhof or Edeka, though Braufaktum distributes/sells Boston Lager and Firestone Walker. Other than at Mahrun's in Pfungstadt, I've never seen ANY of the above mentioned beers in Germany.
  18. LBerges

LBerges Aficionado (160) Germany Feb 14, 2010

Well, a Getränkemarkt is not the right place to look for good beer from U.S.A. Just as little as Karstadt or Edeka. There are at least three places in Berlin that have these beers. And some internet shops.
  19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Ha! I only get brews here from 5 of the Breweries you listed but...living in WY, we don't have the population to support that many Breweries.
  20. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Love it. Big list of stuff we can't get in Michigan either. :rolleyes:
  21. It's because importers (who get in alot of small, one off shipments, as mentioned) target the ones that are rarer, so there's more demand, so they can get a higher price for them. Many of the beers mentioned go for like $20 per bottle.
  22. You wouldn't feel so aggrieved if you knew the prices paid for them over here.