1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

American Hefeweizens

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by litheum94, Jan 2, 2013.

1. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I'm drinking a Pyramid Hefeweizen right now, and I fail to see how this is a hefeweizen. It's overlly carbonated and is completely lacking in that typical yeast flavor that German hefes have (banana, clove, etc). It seems that a lot of American brewers are guilty of throwing some wheat into the grain bill and then labeling the beer as a Hefe.

The only American hefeweizen that I've ever enjoyed was Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss, which is fantastic. Is there any other good American example of the style?

devlishdamsel likes this.
  2. Boozledooz

Boozledooz Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 8, 2011

Dry Dock Hefeweizen.

alexipa, Domingo and yemenmocha like this.
  3. Just had a couple Flying Dog In-Heat Hefeweizen last night, not bad but this isn't my style at all. Will continue to try it, but just not into it.

4. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (370) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Hefeweizen means "yeasty wheat beer". The yeast strain makes all the difference. German strains are well known for the banana esters and clove-like phenolics. American strains do not produce these compounds. They are two very different beer styles. If the grain includes wheat and the beer has some yeast in it, it can be called a "hefeweizen". Other characters will determine if it is a (good or bad) American or German version.
    Cheers!

5. einhorn

einhorn Savant (405) California Nov 3, 2005

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Aficionado (200) Texas Aug 18, 2008

Live Oak hefeweizen is the best American example I have had.

7. litheum94

Well, that would explain why I don't like American Hefeweizens. It seems weird to stray from using the German yeast strain, as it is so distinctive. When I think hefeweizen, I think about that. Any other beer that's missing those characteristics would be labeled a wheat beer, I would think.

After all these years, I'm still learning new things.

8. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

Troegs dreamweaver is tasty and reminds me of keller

szmnnl99, comfortablynirm and rjknyy like this.
  9. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Drink 2 Dancing Man Wheat by New Glaurs and call me in the morning........

10. litheum94

Send me some? :)

beerFool28607 likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Prost & Dry Dock in Denver
    Live Oak in Texas.

Since I lack access to these I just drink the German ones and they're coming in more fresh in the last year or so, especially Ayinger & Paulaner's new cans.

jzeilinger and champ103 like this.
  12. litheum94

Paulaner in a can is great. The 8 packs are perfect for bbqs.

yemenmocha likes this.
  13. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

I would if I could get it.........:(

litheum94 likes this.
  14. From experience Hefe's are supposed to be pretty damn carbed up. Why would this be an issue?

Jimjohson likes this.
  15. Lets not confuse an American Pale Wheat Ale with a traditonal Hefe. Some breweries will label one over the other. I do love a good Hefe, but an American example is tough. I agree on the Dreamweaver. It will always be fresher than a beer shipped from Europe. Good posting here guys!

MusicaleMike and beertunes like this.
  16. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

17. cid71

cid71 Aficionado (135) New Jersey Mar 2, 2009

Ramstein here in new Jersey is good but wrong.coast for you

dennis3951 likes this.
  18. Sly Fox Royal Weiss is my personal favorite.

VitoFerrante likes this.
  19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Live Oak x 1,000,000

Them hippies make some good hefe.

20. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Kellerweiss is great and a perfect imitation of the German hefes.

I'm also a fan of Gordon Biersch's hefeweizen. Gordon Biersch is mostly pretty lame, but the hefeweizen is nice and pretty authentic tasting

I would love to try Live Oak with all I've heard about it

21. Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is hard to beat when it comes to American hefeweizens.

xxbillay likes this.
  22. Frankly after i have had real German Weissbier ( on tap). I can't buy any American heffe or bottled heffe. It's just not the same!

23. Only one mention of new glarus dancing man wheat? So far definitively the best american hefeweizen i've ever had.

24. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Fat Head's Goggle Fogger Hefeweizen is truly an awesome example of the style. They don't bottle it, although I'd like to think they will bottle/can it in the future. It's usually always on-tap.

25. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

If ya ever find yourself up here in the Fourth Corner, you need to try Anacortes Hefeweizen. Very Germany, lots of banana, and clove, a bit of bubblegum. Perhaps the best American take on the style I'm yet to have. I'll also echo a comment from above, not all wheat beers are Hefe's. Double check what you're trying.

26. Last American Hefeweizen that I truly enjoyed was the Lakefront Wisconsinite. All-organic, local products, nicely priced, and good enough to make me think that it was brewed overseas.

tigernipples likes this.
  27. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

Just wanted to get back to the original part of your OP about the yeast strain, because I'm in total agreement that American brewers are doing everyone a disservice when they label an American wheat beer a hefeweizen. The word itself is German which translates directly to yeast wheat beer. In my opinion if you are going to use a German word to describe the style of your beer, then it should indeed represent the characteristics that are found in a true german hefe.

It seems the only reason some brewers use the word improperly (again, my opinion) is that they think it sounds better or is more catchy or whatever, basically a way to advertise their product in a way I find very misleading. Particularly because I find most American wheats to be overwhelmingly bland while their german counterparts are generally very flavorful due to the phenol properties of the yeast described above, it is very misleading to the consumer to label them as hefeweizens.

I'd definitely like the opportunity to try some of the others mentioned in this thread, but the SN Kellerweiss is the closest I've come across to being authentic as well.

litheum94 likes this.
  28. Besides Sierra Neveda Keller all of these are easily acessible here in Illinois and are all real hefeweizens which I like.

Two Brothers: Ebel's Weiss
    Flying Dog: In Heat Wheat
    Sand Creek: Lilja's Hefer Weizen
    Grand Teton: Howling Wolf Weisse Bier

Just stay away from Pyramid and Widmer Hefewizen which are both American pale wheat ales.

29. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

victory4me likes this.
  30. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Probably because it's only sold in one state in the country.

Capital and Sprecher used to make great Bavarian Weizen, SN Kellerweiss is terrific too.

31. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is not to be overlooked

32. mattbk

mattbk Savant (400) New York Dec 12, 2011

I've posted this before, but a decent story concerning "American Hefeweizen".

I went to a tasting last year and someone from Pyramid was there proclaiming their wheat beer to be "the world's best Hefeweizen". I love Hefe's and hadn't had it; and yes, it's a very bland beer. And so I asked "where's the clove? the banana? any yeast character?" At which time the rep explained to me that this was an "American Hefeweizen". I did not explain to her that Hefe translates into yeast. But I did decide to never purchase another Pyramid beer. Major pet peeve.

33. What about US brewers (and others around the world) using German words like "lager" and "bock"? ;)

beertunes likes this.
  34. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

At least in those cases they're making some attempt to brew the same type of beer.

All I remember is my first taste of Widmer Hefeweizen (what, '89?) thinking, "This is cool, a micro-brewed Hefeweizen." and then -- bleah, what's this?

Basically, it's false advertising! ;)

35. litheum94

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say more eloquently.

36. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

The ones from Dry Dock and Live Oak are the best I've had. SN Kellerweis and Dancing Man aren't far behind, too.
    Compared to German lager styles like Pils, helles, dunkel, etc. I'd say American brewers are actually doing pretty well with weizens. Not all of them are great, but not too many are full-on duds either. Even the brewpub chains like Ram and BJ's make versions I'll happily drink.

37. litheum94

That's actually a good call about BJ's. I am constantly underwhelmed by their beers, but the hefeweizen is a very good beer.

38. Schell's Hefeweizen...oh wait the BA doesn't consider them a "craft" brewery so it might not count;)

budgood1 likes this.
  39. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Off topic a bit, but I like the Piranha, too. It's one of those pales that was probably listed as an IPA 6-7 years ago and it still has a fair amount of bite for an everyday pale ale.

40. A number of very good US craft brewed Hefeweizen beers have been mentioned (e.g., Live Oak, Sierra Nevada, etc.). Below is a list of some of the other quality US craft brewed Hefeweizen beers that I posted in another thread:

And:

· Troegs DreamWeaver Wheat (2012 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Stoudt’s Heifer-in-Wheat (2010 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Sly Fox Royal Weiss
    · Victory Sunrise Weiss
    · Etc.

Cheers!

victory4me and MusicaleMike like this.