1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

American Hefeweizens

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by litheum94, Jan 2, 2013.

1. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

True true. I guess I could start a petition for American brewers to start calling those beers "place to store things" and "male goat" instead...doesn't quite sound as tasty or have the same ring though. ;)

2. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I second/third/google the NG Dancing Man Wheat and Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss recommendations.

3. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Dry Dock and New Glarus make great American Hefe's

4. Yeah, there is another style of beer called the American Pale Wheat Ale, which should not have any of the typical Bavarian Hefeweizen aromas (banana, clove, bubblegum...) and there are American breweries producing these "clean" wheat ales and calling them "hefeweizen" which just means "wheat beer with yeast." So while Pyramid Hefeweizen may sound misleading, it really is an unfiltered wheat ale. The only difference is the type of yeast used. Pyramid is probably using a regular ale yeast.

Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast is a very unique ale yeast, and without it, you won't get those notes of banana and clove. The benefit of using a standard American/English Ale yeast is that the fresh, subtle flavor of the wheat can be highlighted more and ultimately, it is more drinkable, therefore appealing to a wider audience of drinkers.

Good examples of American-made traditional Bavarian-style Hefeweizens have been already listed, so I will just second the ones I have tried here:
    Live Oak Hefeweizen
    Troegs Dreamweaver Wheat
    Victory Sunrise Weiss
    Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss
    Firestone Walker Solstice

5. The German wheat beer yeast and some Belgian ale yeasts have the POF gene active. That stands for Phenolic Off Flavor, which is true for the majority of beers, but is a desired trait in some beers.

6. SBMRL

SBMRL Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 5, 2011

new glarus dancing man and imperial hefe are amazing. Penn brewery makes an awesome hefe too.

7. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

That was one of the underwhelming beers for me. Tasted like fruit loops.

8. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

When it comes to wheat beers everyone in the US is playing for second to Dan Carey.

- Dancing Man Wheat
    - Laughing Fox
    - Crack'd Wheat
    - Imperial Weizen

As far as hefeweizens go only Weihenstephaner was better IMO.

9. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Victory makes a nice one, Sunrise Weiss

10. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Where in the hell have I been? Paulaner in a can? Fo Realz?

Cheers!

jl28r1 likes this.
  11. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

Good and American hefeweizen? Been my experience that those words are mutually exclusive, so far.

12. rrski198

rrski198 Savant (330) Georgia Mar 7, 2010

Little known brewery in Missouri called Crown Valley makes one called "work truck wheat." Its a fantastic representation of the Euro Hefe

13. In heat wheat is dead on.

14. daledeee

daledeee Savant (450) Iowa Nov 11, 2002

Dancing Man Wheat. Rival's the German stuff. Yes, only Wisconsin. Not sure if they make it all the time.

15. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Advocate (655) Ohio Feb 27, 2007

I'd like to throw in Penn Weizen and East End Monkey Boy.

I do have to say that PA has a boatload of German subculture and a lot of brewpubs who produce so great traditional German brews- some are certainly German themed (like Penn, Victory and Stoudts) and others incorporate good German brews. Most of these brewing companies also make killer bocks, maibocks, munich dunkels, octoberfest...etc.

Although some New Glarus Brews I've traded for are good Hefes- Sierra Nevada Keller Weisse has nothing on these.

16. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Thank Gawd for American Wheats. I can't stand banana or clove. American wheats should not be called Hefes. Two totally different types of beer.

17. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

I think the "American Hefeweizen" pseudo-style is basically a result of the need for nineties brewpubs to have a passable beer for customers who would walk in to a microbrewery and order a Bud.

18. blacktieman

blacktieman Disciple (50) Tennessee Aug 27, 2012

Yazoo Hefeweizen is spot-on, strong banana and a bit of clove. Not widely available outside TN, but gets a medal at GABF from time to time.

19. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

Have to add Victory Mad King's Weiss as well, ( better than Sunrise ) but the best examples in America are Live Oak, and Dancing Man. Brooklyn makes a fine example as well but it can only be found on tap these days as Garret was not pleased with the inconsistent quality of the bottles.

20. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

There is a reason BA separates America Wheat from Hefe btw.

21. Another vote for Dry Dock.

22. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

Of course... but a lot of American Wheats are named "Hefeweizen", which is confusing--especially for those who haven't spent a lot of time going over style guidelines (i.e. most people).

litheum94 likes this.
  23. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

You're very correct, and you can blame Widmer for starting the trend.

24. Back when Widmer started, there was nothing else they could have called it. It was literally a "wheat beer with yeast" which is exactly what "hefeweizen" means. They used a standard ale yeast to brew the beer instead of a South German hefeweizen yeast and so they got a much cleaner yeast profile. I doubt they are interested in changing the name to reflect the new standard style name "Light American Wheat Ale with Yeast."

25. Both Anchor and Schell's had brewed US wheat beers before Widmer (in fact, as noted by Jace Marti of Schell's, they were brewed on the same day in 1984 so they are "tied" for the first modern US wheat beer).

Anchor called theirs Anchor Wheat Beer (now called "Anchor Summer Beer") and Schell's Hefeweizen was originally labeled Schell's Weiss Beer with the notation on the label that "Sediment is natural to weiss beer".

litheum94 likes this.
  26. steveh

But Hefeweizen was already established as the sort of beer you'd expect from Bavaria, with all those phenols and big flavor -- not the lame, bland stuff Widmer was trying to pass off.

As mentioned above, when I first saw the Widmer beer available I was excited because I thought I was getting a real Hefeweizen. You can imagine my disappointment.

27. I never had Schell's wheat beer, but that is pretty cool to know that they and Anchor brewed their first wheat on the same day!

When did Schell's change the name to Hefeweizen? I take back my sentiment that they couldn't have called it something else. Clearly, a marketing/branding decision was made for some reason or another (show off the German hefeweizen inspiration, more interesting than "Wheat Beer", wanted to easily encapsulate the fact that it was an unfiltered wheat beer, etc.)

Now, they seem to be moving from Hefeweizen as their main brand and focus of growth and seem to be putting more resources behind their "crafty" image.

28. Well, Anchor apparently doesn't think it "cool" ;) since they're still claiming that "First brewed in the summer of 1984, Anchor Summer ® Beer is the first American wheat beer in modern times" even though they are aware of Schell's brewing date. Can't find Jace Marti's mention of it, I thought it was in his response to the recent Brewers Association "Blacklist" but it may have been just in a BA forum post and I don't recall his BA screen name.

I have this vague memory that Joe Ortlieb once mentioned considering brewing a wheat beer, but I guess he never got to before throwing in the bar towel and selling out to C. Schmidt's & Sons.

Not sure, but they definitely consider it the same beer as their original Weiss Beer on their webpage: "Hefeweizen-
    First brewed in 1984..."

29. The Widmer brothers spent time in Germany, and the house yeast was brought back from Zum Uerige so it is an Alt yeast. Alt was what they thought would be the flagship for them, the wheat beer took off. You can find the Alt at their Gasthaus in Portland, and it may be the best I have had in the US.

30. Is their house yeast the same today? Do they maintain that same yeast at their other breweries? Good to know about their Alt...I'll have to try it next time I am in Portland. That style is not very well represented here in the US.

31. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

MusicaleMike said:
    When did Schell's change the name to Hefeweizen?​
    I was working retail when the change was made, and want to say that it was 2002. I recall it distinctly because the first year it had a load of yeast in the bottle, all of the local homebrew geeks were oohing and ahhing at the 'floaties'. I used to call 'em 'yeast geeks', as they tried to culture and brew from the stuff... :D

32. After this much time it has changed, and is not as flocculant. Which is a plus for most wheat beers. I only know the place in Portland.

33. steveh

I can't recall if I tried the Widmer Alt when I was in Portland many moons ago, but it was that same Gasthaus where I tried the wheat for the first time.

Have you had any opportunity to try Metropolitan's Alt as comparison? I know it's not easy to find outside of the Chicago area, but it's real good -- not just a re-labeled Brown Ale as most Alts tend to be, it's got a real smooth character.

34. Only ha e had one of their beers, but might try some more soon.

35. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (370) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Kind of like Miller Lite calling itself a "true Pilsner beer"...

36. I came here to say the same thing. Yazoo's Hefe is absolutely fantastic! I'm not a big hefeweizen fan, but the Yazoo is ALWAYS in my fridge. Really reminds me of Dancing Man but is easier to come across ... at least in the south. If you're a fan of this style, it's a must-try in my opinion.

37. budgood1

budgood1 Savant (495) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Schell Hefeweizen.