1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

American Wild Ales in TX

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ChanceK, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Looking to try a few more of these. I've only had one or two, on being Boxers Revenge and honestly, I didn't care much for it. I'm blaming some of that on the fact my exposure to wild ales is minimal. So I would like to try more, but I don't want to blow $15-$20 on bottles of J/K. I know I've seen Brux once or twice in stores in San Antonio, but I'm looking for more that have a more modest price tag. Any suggestions?????
  2. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (440) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Which part of Boxer's did you not like?

You might try general sours/Flanders red/Flanders bruin/lambics/geuze/gose first, but you won't find much that's that much cheaper than JK. Rodenbach is apparently cheaper in DFW (~$8 for grand cru) than other cities in TX, but that might be a good start.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Cheap sours... good one, bud.

Have you tried any of Freetail's sours? (Porto Galleto & Ananke). When that's available, it's quality.
  4. ChanceK

Honestly, I don't remember exactly what I didn't like, but going back over my older rankings I gave it a 2. I hate to just try a style once and give up on it, but again I have a hard time spending the cash when I know I didn't care for it much in the past. That's why I would be more willing to try an wild ale they may not be so pricey, if such a thing exist....
  5. ChanceK

:(
  6. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Get a bottle or pint of Cuvée de Jacobins, it's delicious. If you don't like it, then I guess you don't like sours. :)
  7. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Er...ok. I personally wouldn't rate a style that I didn't care for, because that's kind of...pointless. And insulting to the brewer.

Full disclosure: I don't like wild ales. Brett is not my thing. I've tasted a bunch though, and haven't rated a single one because I don't have a realistic basis for doing so. So I don't. You shouldn't either.

That being said, the beer from JK that doesn't have brett is fucking crazy good.
    mrkmrk, FUNKPhD and blatherbeard like this.
  8. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

^ this

and if i DO rate a beer i hate(aka I HATE IPAS) i rate it on what the brewer was going for, not on a style that id possibly hate.

Ive heard tell that NXNW has amazing sours, but they are never there when i visit.
  9. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Stay the hell away from Brux. Major disappointment.
    LambicKing and starkmarvelo like this.
  10. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I personally thought Brux was great. I haven't had one in a couple of months though. I love me some Brett
    thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  11. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

Maybe you were expecting something else but I thought it was a fine beer.
    thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  12. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

It sucked fresh to me. I had a taste at a bottle share a couple of weeks ago and it was actually pretty nice.
  13. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Brux also isn't any cheaper then any of the JK beers. You might want to try Saison-Brett so you can decide if you don't like Brett or the sourness of a wild ale. At Gabriels you can probably find Rienaert ale, which is also a wild ale. Your best bet for trying wild ales and not spending $15+/ bottle is probably going to be trying them whenever Freetail has them on tap. Overall you are probably not going to find a "cheap" good wild ale due to the time it takes to make them, other then Rodenbach or Cuvée de Jacobins as previously mentioned, but they are not available in San Antonio.
  14. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Cuvée de Jacobins is all over the place down here. On tap too.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  15. jamescain

That doesn't help me much. I'd have to go to podunk for it. pass
    texasclimber and nate8767 like this.
  16. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Central Markets marked it down in DFW to $8. I was only able to grab 2 before they were gone. I'm sure other places will mark it down at some point.
  17. jamescain

Hopefully bc then I might buy one. But at $15 its a little harder to justify on something that might be better down the road.
  18. ChanceK

Hmmm so how many times do I need to try a style before I'm allowed to rate it. Get over yourself.
  19. Danielbt

:rolleyes: How many times do you usually do the same thing over and over, expecting different results? Don't expect people to have any regard for your opinion.

Sorry I hurt your feelings on the internet.
    rainerschuhsler and FUNKPhD like this.
  20. Lutter

No need to be so ...sour guys.
  21. ChanceK

You just said this. Get over yourself.
  22. ChanceK

And does Brett beer refer only to lips of faith, or is that a more broad term I'm not aware of?
  23. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

That would be a beer inoculated with Brettandnomices strain of yeast.

If any of you attempt to correct my spelling, you are wrong. DEAD WRONG.
    Danielbt likes this.
  24. rainerschuhsler

Please forgive my spelling: Brettanomyces
  25. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

No
    thirdeye11 and rainerschuhsler like this.
  26. ChanceK

27. Lutter

I definitely want a beer with Brett AND No Mices. Can't stand drunk rodents sharing my beer.
    rainerschuhsler and FUNKPhD like this.
  28. ChanceK

...... I see what you did there.
  29. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Brux.... I agree with this. I'm not a huge Sierra Nevada fan but I'm on my 3rd bottle and its developed into something fairly decent. Not a sour but a wild beer. Not sure of the exact Brett strain they used but its got a nice little somethin extra. More of a fruity funk as opposed to the mouth puckering sour.
  30. Danielbt

Brilliant.

"I'll take a glass of Brett, hold the mices."
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  31. Andy915

Andy915 Disciple (65) Texas Dec 17, 2010

Hahaha beautiful!
  32. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Remeber when Victory did Wild Devil? That was a cool Brett beer. I wish they would make it again.
    bentwookie likes this.
  33. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Man, some of those bottles were gushers! Wish I had one left.
  34. jamescain

That's because Brett doesn't make beers sour. Lacto and Pedio do the souring, mostly Pedio.
  35. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

Since your original post mentioned American Wild ales, Rodenbach and Cuvee des Jacobins don't fit the bill. If you're looking for general sours, they and Petrus Aged Pale are good starting points.

If you are, in fact, looking specifically for American wilds, Jester is your best bet in terms of availability. La Folie, while stylistically different, is also a good one, and it's out now. If you don't like the pricing, then just avoid the category as they tend to cost much more.
  36. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Holy jeezus I'm glad you made that point clear. After reading this forum for a while, I always groan when people mention "sour" and "brett" in the same sentence.

If you make a wort and then...
    • Ferment with brett alone: The results are generally comparable to a brew fermented with brewer's yeast. No "sour" to speak of. Clean and dry.
    • Ferment with brewer's yeast and then finish with brett: The beer will be very dry (usually) as the brett can process the remaining carbohydrates that sacch cannot. There may be some slight barnyard, horseblanket, 'funk' characteristics. No 'sour' notes to speak of, but it may have a funky nose and/or finish.
    • Ferment with brewer's yeast in primary, then finish with brett + pedio + lacto: will create the "sourness" that grabs the back of your throat, much like tart lemonade. This will take many months/years to create, usually in a barrel.
    Here's a New York Times article regarding Brett:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/dining/brettanomyces-a-funky-yeast-makes-flavorful-beers.html?_r=0

Brett Project by Crooked Stave Creator:
    http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/

Mad Fermentationist All About Brett article:
    http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2008/06/all-about-brettanomyces.html

Questions? Class dismissed.

BK
  37. rainerschuhsler

Everyone on this forum should read this post.
    BeanBone and omnigrits like this.
  38. ChanceK

Well I picked up a bottle of J/K Das Uberkind today for tomorrow night. I've read good things, we'll see how it goes.

If I don't like this one along with Boxers I thinks I'll stop.....
  39. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

SPM Spec's has ONE bottle as of Monday. I also think that Rayon Vert should be brought up, not exactly a "wild" but very "bretty". I absolutely LOVE Rayon Vert.
    mattisloco likes this.
  40. codyhaskell

codyhaskell Savant (310) Texas Aug 27, 2009

Have you had it? It's quite good.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/83401