1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Comment Amount of Hads in ONE day...

Discussion in 'Site' started by ESeab, Mar 5, 2013.

1. If your had rating is +/- 20% of the average, you should be required to write an actual review for your rating to be included.

2. Fair point, and I agree with you about the beer tasting page. I think it would be more fun to read if there was a page for reviews and a separate page for ticks (or no page for them at all). I guess my point was more that it is about people sharing their opinion. It might be boring to look at but not everyone has a lot to say and it's an easy way to give feed back on a beer. I may not have articulated that well in my first post. I don't see any harm in it if the "had" rating is coming from notes, other than it being boring and I don't think it's meaningless because it is someones opinion, regardless of whether they explain it or not. Not to mention some reviews add little more than a tick does.

3. I went ahead and deleted all my Hads as soon as they made the change. It's too thoughtless for my blood.

4. Just a few minutes ago, I just added close to 40 "Hads". Many people transfer from notes or Untappd. In my case, I've been keeping a spreadsheet since Sep. 2011 with all my hads..I didn't know about Untappd until May of 2012, so I started tracking there as well. Now I'm trying to transfer everything to BA.

It is a pain, but once it's done I'll have a nice database in one spot, and I'll simply track Hads on the fly with Untappd, then input into BA every so often.

5. I second that emotion.

6. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (535) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

An opinion with no context or subjectivity is pretty darn meaningless. For instance, say someone that rates beers towards the middle (3) as being good gives a 3 to a had while another person that rates all beers as very good gives the same beer a 4.5 had. How are you supposed to know without any context what they are saying? You can't. While I can see the benefit for the individual because they know what their scores mean, for anyone else it's useless. Oh well, tis the way it is. Cheers!

7. I can definitely see your point, that it is very personal but then again all opinions are. Like you said it is what it is. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Good debate my friend.

mudbug likes this.
  8. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (440) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

If someone doesn't rate a beer the way I feel it should be rated, why would I want to hear their justification for it? I enjoyed it, they didn't. That's all. All I can do, as a reviewer, is realize that I don't have the "taste" for certain styles of beer therefore I avoid rating them to be fair. BA allows you to shut off the "hads" and gives you a direct view of the written reviews, which is good enough for me.

Lastly, my negative "had" score has never dragged down an otherwise popular beer. Unless there's only a couple reviews, my score won't budge it more than a fraction. Hell, I could go mark Heady Topper a "1" right now and it wouldn't stop anyone from buying the stuff. In fact, I scored Brown Shugga' a 2.5. Didn't hurt it in the slightest. Although Lagunitas felt obligated to rename it right after I reviewed it... so, perhaps there's that. lol. ;)

9. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I did the big data download when I got courageous enough to review - I didn't/don't use the hads. In other words, when I felt that my personal reviews/notes didn't suck any worse than anybody else's, I "had" at it... I keep my notes in an Excel sheet, and when I started putting in reviews I did like 70 in a fairly short time span. I think I have done like 13 since then - I don't really keep track. The Excel sheet is my equivalent of "ticking", I suppose, but if I don't have complete notes there I don't add to this site. I can also revisit and make sure of my thoughts that way.

If people read my stuff fine, if not that's fine too. Hell, I don't know if I am even on track with most of what I write but I at least make the effort. I have only seen one instance where my score changed the overall - I had a pretty high +rDev on something that there were only a handful or so of reviews. As I did the download, I also noticed the change in writing/organization that I picked up after being on the site for a while and reading reviews.

So back to the OP - yeah - there's reasons for a huge amount of hads (or reviews) in a short time span. I would hope somebody's not seriously trying to even "had" rate a hundred beers in a day....

10. mocktm

mocktm Savant (405) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

untapped is your friend at tastings...

fredmugs likes this.
  11. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,055) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I "had" 60+ tastings at a beer fest once that I ticked on Untappd but did not tick on here. Too many times my opinion of a beer changes from the initial sips to the end.

12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

What are you, a beer communist? Why should I have to waste my time typing in that a beer tasted like crap to me or tasted great to me? Would you grade my review after I was done? It defeats the whole purpose of the "hads" rating system. Just because you choose to rate most beers very close to the average doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to think for themselves. That is so pompous.

BklynTerp likes this.
  13. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (295) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

My issue, buying a lot of good beers that I want to try, having a couple and rating them and then forgetting all the rest while enjoying them.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,035) New York Mar 12, 2009

+10000000000000

JohnGalt1 likes this.
  15. Forget them you're almost at 100 yourself and that's always a sweet number to hit!

ESeab likes this.
  16. ChicagoNick

But on the flipside, I've seen people write insane reviews in which they're tasting everything from "fruitcake" to "malted milk balls" in an everyday boring stout... what gives that guy's review more weight than someone who just says, "I had this... its about a 4 to me?"

Writing a novel about a beer doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about. I used to bullshit 10-page book reports for school. Its not hard. "You know what Southern Tier's Creme Brulee smells like to me? Creme Brulee. You know what it tastes like? Sweet."

Perhaps that's why people just rank them and move on. I don't need to read 2000 written reviews on Bourbon County to get the picture. Especially if I just drank it. All I can do is rank it against every other beer I've ever had. In fact, I've found myself going back and adjusting old "hads" to compensate for changes in what I consider a truly great beer.

JuliusCaesar and Hermthegerm like this.
  17. cavedave

Yeah the great thing about reviews is you know they are bullshit by reading them.

I like reviews that are short to med. length, give precise details as well as general impressions, display a knowledge of the style, display some experience with trying a few or more in that style, are written in a way that isn't overly technical, and are generally user friendly and helpful to make buyer decisions. Not all reviews are this way, but zero hads are this way.

18. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poobah (1,045) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Honestly, people act like reviewing beers is a time-, brain-, and soul-taxing effort of Herculean stature. In reality, all you have to do is tell us all what you think of the beer in whatever terms came to you whilst drinking it. It's not hard. You don't need to list every possible characteristic that the beer may ever hold at any given time throughout its potential existence on this planet, with every conceivable variable considered. No, just tell me what went through your mind when you consumed it and what your opinions of it are based thereupon. You already have these feelings/opinions, as you were able to translate them into a numeric score. Now just put them into a few words and be done with it.

19. JulianC

JulianC Savant (380) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Untappd is for live ticking... I thought about bringing over all my uniques from untappd to here, at least so other BAs could see what I've had. That would've resulted in 1300+ hads over a couple days. But once I saw a rating is required to enter a had I decided against it. Too many drunken 5's given out on untappd :)

20. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

yup, I did too.

21. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Some beer elitists somehow feel they are important because they write out full reviews. You read reviews on beers and they contradict each other. Some reviewers copy from other reviewers and say they taste things that they don't even taste. Many full reviews are crap anyway. It all adds up to give someone an overall idea of the quality of a beer. It makes no difference whether it's a "had" or a full review score. Some people will agree with it and some won't. I would argue that an overall score is more accurate. The look, mouthfeel and aroma of a beer may drive the score way up or down and not be accurate to my overall assessment of how I enjoyed it. The taste is 80% of the experience to me.

ChicagoNick likes this.
  22. cavedave

Hads are not reviews, they are ticks in the ticking game, and near to worthless to others. Prove this to yourself. Try telling your wife/husband on her/his Valentines Day card you love her/him 4.5. Perhaps you can tell them afterwards that the number means just as much as a detailed description of why you love them, because you gave it a lot of thought. I'm sure they'll agree with you.

23. JulianC

JulianC Savant (380) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

I want the option of hads with no rating required. If people want to send me extras in a trade, they can at least check to see if I've had it before.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  24. wha ? acceptable ?

there's any number of valid reasons multiple hads, or reviews may be entered late. not sure why this would be judged as unacceptable.

unacceptable to whom would be my question ?

& heads up to the OP, i've got between 100 and 200 hads i've kept track of in an iphone notes list over the past 13 months or so that i'll be entering in in the next couple of weeks.

25. Not pompous, just curious. I like to read reviews from people at the extremes because it challenges me to look for aspects I would otherwise have missed. Sorry to touch a raw nerve. Perhaps I inartfully crafted my original statement, but the sentiment was there.

By the way, I'm no "elitist" reviewer -- I've only written 5 reviews, and rated about 310 more as hads. I have ratings on about 450 more that I've not bothered to enter here. So I'm not preaching, just observing.

Cheers.

26. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

'acceptable' poor choice of words that were posted without much thought. Was trying to convey 'is there a max number of hads in a day.?' Like I tried to reiterate in many posts above, 400 is quite a feet in three days.

So if you're entering 200 hads in two weeks I say go for it dude. That's less than 15 hads a day, pretty puney looking compared to the mans 133 hads in one day. I have clicked the 'had' button 15 times in one day, I was drunk by midnight.

27. ChicagoNick

Well then... tell me why would you want these worthless responses being translated into written-review form then? Cause that is what would happen if the only way you could rank a beer is by writing a report.
    Instead of: "had... 4.5"

you'll get: "Appearance: beery
    Smell: Chocolate!!!!
    Taste: sweet-like
    Mouthfeel: beerish
    Overall: Would TOTALLY drink this again sometime..."

Cause I swear to GOD, if I have to write a damn review for every beer just so I can rank it on beer advocate, I will write every single review like this... imnotkidding

Seriously, though... you're just assuming that everyone that ranks their beers are ticking away. That's silly. I have just over 100 reviews. I'm not "ticking away," I'm keeping track of what I liked and what I didn't like so that next stout season when I'm walking down the 1/4 mile long binny's aisle I'll spend far less time trying to remember if I should pick up a 4-pack of Peruvian Morning.

SenorHops likes this.
  28. TMoney2591

As much as I might prefer something more, there's really nothing wrong with the content of that review. It tells me what you think of the beer and gives others an idea (albeit a small, limited one) of why it could be a desirable beer. Don't you think that's at least a tiny bit better/more helpful than just an unaccompanied numerical score?

cavedave likes this.
  29. ChicagoNick

Alright... you got me there. I do agree that its better than nothing. But, personally, I would just rather leave it up to the eloquent reviewers. As I've said earlier, I really use the "had" system for reference. But, that shouldn't take away from the honesty of my overall scoring. Perhaps they should open up the scoring to include Appearance, Smell, Taste, etc.

Also, I believe we all are tasting something different. There are too many on here that can pick out specific notes that I would never pick up myself. Every sip may be a little different as it warms up, too. I've had to start mentally averaging out the written reviews to get a better overall picture of a beer before I try it. I can't trust any single reviewer has the same sense of taste I do. (mine is awful, btw. If I start writing reviews you should ignore them... I only register sweet/roast/coffee/etc.)

30. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I think the problem is the review system has shifted away from a description of the beer (at least for the general public) and is now more of a beer ranking system. It seems to just be about which new instawale can break into the top whatever list. I feel the best reason to write reviews are for your own benefit/interest/hobby.

For looking up ratings on choosing a beer in a store I am guessing no one is sitting and reading 10 different reviews for 10 different beers to choose which to buy. They just look at the score to get a general idea and go from there.

TL,DR: Use the reviews as a personal journal, use the "hads" as a personal ticking method, both can be used for ranking beers.

31. cavedave

If that is what you think of a beer, then I will certainly pass your review by as worthless. At least I will know. I think having a list of beers you drank is great, I just don't think someone whose opinion is it is beery should be able to put up a 4.5 for a beer and no one who sees that number knows it is because the person who drank that beer rated it high because it tasted beery. If there are a lot of reviews and hads for a beer it averages into something that can account for the people whose opinions are it tasted beery. If there is a beer with only 6 scores, and they are all hads with a number, how can anyone know if they are all put up by people who scored it a certain way because it tastes beery. Advantage to being able to read the reviews. And as far as you having to write a damn review, etc., well, you don't, but you can see how your post sort of cements my opinion.

I suggest the easy way to accomplish remembering which beers you liked, and didn't like, is to... wait for it...make a list and don't write down the ones you didn't like. This should make it easier for you since, as you say, you aren't ticking, but keeping track of the ones you liked.;)

32. ChicagoNick

Did you purposely glaze over the humor in my post? ... only to use it against me...

I perused a few of your reviews, cavedave. At 448 reviews, I HIGHLY doubt you'd ever listen to anyone's opinion on beer. Regardless of whether or not someone put "beery" for appearance. You clearly take pride in writing them! For that I say cheers. Keep it up. They're beautifully written. But, YOU'RE why I don't write reviews. I don't need to. I could never write more about a single beer than you can. You're that guy that has some abnormal ability to decipher every single detail in something your tasting. Meanwhile, I have terrible sinuses that literally destroy all chances of enjoying anything overly hoppy. Can't handle too much carbonation, either. Sucks for me. (note most of my Hads are Stouts... sweet, roasty, coffee, etc. I can actually enjoy them. I'm hellbent on finding winners this year, hence the recent joining of BA and as you call it, "ticking")

You taste more in a beer than probably 98% of the people on here. And there's no way I can prove you're making the details up. They're your taste buds.

Personally, I can't take your reviews to heart... because there's no way your experience will equal my experience. I factor these things into the way I rank my beers. I purposely avoid reviewing certain types all together because I know my limits. But, don't disregard my rating because I don't know all of the beer lingo and don't have a desire to write my thesis on Bell's Black Note. Take it for what it is... a new Beer Advocate trying to learn the ropes.

Honestly, I'm just not there, yet.
    I'll let you know when I feel like I can contribute to the written portion of the test.

Nick

33. crossovert

crossovert Champion (810) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I logged over 1000 reviews in a month on Ratebeer when I was transferring from another site, didn't take long jsut come copy/pasting.

ESeab likes this.
  34. I like hearing other's opinions, especially those who disagree with me. If I rate a beer above the average/median, I usually click 'low' scores to see what people disliked that I didn't. If I rate the beer below the average/median . . . you know where I'm going here. Its pretty subjective. Why not be interested in what other people thought, especially if they thought different?

Look, I'm very conservative, but I love listening to NPR, Cornell West, Tavis Smiley, Dennis Kucinich, Jerry Brown etc. . . I think surrounding yourself in an echo chamber of thoughts you already agree with really limits your exposure to different, informative things.

A good mantra for BA beer reviewing and life in general:
    We are not all cut from the same cloth, but we share a common purpose.
    We do not believe in success alone, but we believe in excellence, in all its expressions.
    We value leadership, we also value service.
    We don't live in the past, but we learn from it.
    We believe in truth, but we're not afraid to ask difficult questions.
    We don't give all the answers, but we encourage the search.
    Because we know, its the search, that makes us who we are.

ChicagoNick likes this.
  35. I just wanted to link to the video, I dunno why its taking up space within the post, and it won't let me edit it out now, so my apologies in advance bros for running afoul of the website policy and not being smart enough to figure out how to correct it.

36. ChicagoNick

Those are definitely words of wisdom and I appreciate you sharing them.

:) I think you read that line out of context. What I meant is: why should we stress out about one person going against the grain? So long as they're honest and had reasonable expectations going into it, they're just rating a beer. It likely won't affect the numbers in the long run unless its some super rare/minimally reviewed beer.

I understand the benefit to adding context to the rating. But, I know that I still have a lot to learn about certain beer styles and am fully aware of my taste limitations. At the moment, I don't feel like I have much to contribute to the written reviews. Someday, I will. I certainly read them and gather info from them. Just don't feel its for everyone.

37. TMoney2591

I'll respect the choice not review fully, but not the motivation/reasoning. If you can taste, you can tell me what you taste, no matter how simplistic or "uneducated"/"inexperienced". All views have value. Again, I think too much is made of the act of reviewing, as though it's difficult or takes incredibly sensitive or "trained" taste buds. Just talk to us, people!

Beyond all that, remember to try to enjoy the beer you're drinking as much as possible, regardless of how you want to both remember it and communicate its relative greatness to others.

Beerandraiderfan and mudbug like this.
  38. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Aficionado (235) New York Oct 14, 2012

Some of these responses are downright incredible to me. My God this is beer drinking we are talking about not judging for the Olympic Games.

As for why some people dump 100's of "hads" in a day? Well for me I decided awhile ago, once I really got into the hobby, that I wanted to start tracking all the beers that I have ever had. Literally one night I was like, damn I wonder how many different beers I've had in my life. So I started a spreadsheet and tried to fill in as much as I could remember. Eventually I discovered this site, and thought this could be my one spot to "track" all my beers as opposed to the spreadsheet. It was easier because I could click on a brewery and have a list of all the beers they produced and I could remember what I have had and give it a general numerical rating.

Why not write full reviews for everything? Seriously? Well, maybe because I don't want to? Maybe because I'm a 22 year old that is not informed enough, doesn't have a well developed palate for beer tasting, and hasn't sampled many beers yet. Would you prefer that I write a review that basically states the most general stuff that can be found on the breweries website and is included in practically every other review? Personally I would hate that because I use the full reviews to try and see what more "experienced" beer judges have to say so that I can go back to my beer and see if I can pick out the things they are talking about.

It seems like some people expect this site to be some exclusive community for Certified Cicerones or something. How exactly does my usage of this site affect you? Sorry I don't feel like telling you why I think Pumking sucked, I just did and I rated it as such for my own personal use, not to appease Mr. Beer Snob.

SenorHops likes this.
  39. TMoney2591

Again, It's fine if you don't want to write full reviews if you don't feel like it, but the reasoning that you don't know enough is absurd. You were right from the start: this ain't judging for the Olympics, and the site isn't just for Cicerones or snobs, it's for people who just wanna hear how a beer is. To that end, yeah, I would like to see you write the same general stuff that everyone else does, so long as it expresses your view and continues to add to the ever-expanding flux tapestry of that particular beer.

Come on, guys, there's nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. Write in friggin' monosyllabic gibberish for all I care, so long as it expresses your ideas.

(And, again, if you just don't want to, then don't. Just don't act like it's some sort of high-falootin' task designed only for master artisans who deal in sensory experiences and the wordsmithing required to dribble them down to our mortal ears.)

40. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (535) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

(And, again, if you just don't want to, then don't. Just don't act like it's some sort of high-falootin' task designed only for master artisans who deal in sensory experiences and the wordsmithing required to dribble them down to our mortal ears.)This times 1000000