1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Amount of Hads in ONE day...

Discussion in 'Site' started by ESeab, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Separate the "hads" ratings from the reviews for all I care. The overall score is probably going to end up being similar anyway. I use that to make decisions on what to try more than anything. If I'm curious as to the characteristics of a beer, I'll go read a few of the reviews.
    ChicagoNick likes this.
  2. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

If a beer tastes good or bad to you, reading someone's review is not going to change that. There are usually significantly worse than or better than average reviews for most beers on here. You can always read those that are already available. This is not rocket science. It's beer drinking.

I appreciate that you're not an elitist or pompous, but I disagree with you idea. If you are curious about any of my low or high scores beer mail me and ask why and if I have time, I'll probably tell you that said beer tasted like crap or tasted wonderful to me compared to other beers of its style. Sometimes I'll be able to tell you specific aspects I didn't like. Maybe I'll say "too sweet" and you'll think, "Well I like sweet beer". What would that accomplish?
  3. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Unless you are actually reading every review why would you insist that everyone opining about a beer write a review?
  4. I think 'hads' have legitimate purposes, I just don't think 'hads' counting towards a beer's score is one of them

What is just as disappointing to read are the negative commentaries that come off as insecurity.
    Just because someone prefers written reviews does not make them a snob. Just because you don't feel confident enough to write what you feel, does not mean you are a simpleton or noob.

If anything, I enjoy looking backwards in time at some of my less, well written reviews. Embrace being able to see your writing and palate evolve.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.” --Betrand Russel
    cavedave, gcamparone and TMoney2591 like this.
  5. Who is 'insisting' such a thing? I see preferences, but of course we all understand the difference between a preference and insistence.
  6. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I've only used the "had" button twice in 17 beers. The fun of BA for me are the reviews, and I want to stick to reviews only.

If I did do the "had" button, I bet I couldn't punch it more than 60-70 times ... maybe 100 tops.

7,000??? Holy crap!
  7. Blanco

Not going to debate the semantics of using the word "insist" so I'll rephrase. Why do people "prefer" others write a review if you aren't going to read all of them?
  8. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

'Cause I like to know why things are good or bad to people, rather than knowing just that they are good or bad. And though I may or may not read every single review, I never know how many I'm gonna peruse, nor do I know which one out of the bunch, which can be sorted in a number of ways, will sway me one way or another or provide me with that one bit of information that will help me in some way. Who knows? Maybe your palate corresponds closely to mine, thus I'll look to your reviews over those of others to find out about certain beers.

It's like when you first enter a video store (assuming they still exist in some form, of course...shit, it's an example: extrapolate, dammit!). You don't have a specific movie in mind, so you ask the clerk what's good. He points out a couple, saying they're good. Something tells me you're gonna wanna know why he thinks they're good: the acting, the story, the special effects, the presence of a fantastic rack every other shot, the lack of glittery teenage vampires, what have you. Now, once you learn he's attuned or not to your particular tastes, you can trust him when he says "It's good." Until then, you gotta feel around, voir dire them a bit, for more information.

In this case, it's a really big store, with a ridiculous selection, and you're asking opinions from various employees. Now, granted, a critical mass of up- or down-turned thumbs may sway you enough, but wouldn't descriptors, reasonings, etc, serve your purposes much better?
    Beerandraiderfan and cavedave like this.
  9. When the "Hads" functionality was added, I entered 500 hads over the weekend from my personal records. No biggie. Tickers love the "Hads" option, but I'll be the first to say that a well written review is preferred over a "3.75" when BAs are looking for meaningful input on a beer before committing to purchase or trade.
    cavedave likes this.
  10. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

I keep notes in my phone usually if I am at a brewery/bar/festival or have a pretty good idea of what I liked/disliked from a tasting. I do it to keep track for myself, could care less about making it public. From my profile you can tell I don't care to "review" beers and sometimes wish I could just click "had" without the score affecting the overall rating. I do tend to "overrate" some beers compared to the overall rating but I like to think of it on an A-B-C-D-E-F scale and anything below a C (3.5/70%) is for the most part not drinkable, which for me, is rare, as is earning a perfect 5.
  11. Blanco

Maybe, maybe not. When I take a look at Rotten tomatoes, the aggregated number (for critics and users) is usually the only thing I look at before I watch a movie. I can't read every review and if I read a 2-3, then I might be end up placing greater weight towards those opinions instead of using the overall combined score which captures a much broader audience.

I recognize the value to a reader that a particular review or reviewer might have and have nothing against full reviews. I might read Ebert before I watch a movie even if I ignore most of the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. But I find only counting reviews vs. hads greatly limits the opinions on beers to only those people who sit down a write a review, which is a substantially smaller audience.

using your example above, if it's a really big store, I'd prefer the ability to see which movies have high scores, and was rated by the most people over asking several employees which movies they like and why.

edit: ultimately I'm saying both have a place when figuring the "score" rather than placing more emphasis on hads or reviews.
  12. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

I feel ya. It all comes down to personal preference in the end, much like the very beers we're rating themselves, and both methods certainly have their respective places. Hell, if enough of my friends tell me to see a movie 'cause they thought it was great, but they won't tell me much of anything about it as to not give anything away, then that's just as persuasive as one of them going into more detail.

Different strokes for different folks. (Doesn't mean I'll stop advocating full reviews, of course...;) )
  13. t0rin0

t0rin0 Champion (820) California Dec 30, 2006

I assume you're talking about me. These are indeed backlogged, I have not tried 400 beers in 3 days. There used to be a link in my profile to my spreadsheet of things I had tried (since around the summer of 2005) but I'm in the process of cleaning it up. And if 7,000 hads offends you, just wait, I've got about 2,000 more to enter.

A couple of things:

-First off: I started using these hads when I finally got a smart phone a few months back (lost the old 2005 flip phone in Europe) and loading my spreadsheet while out somewhere wasnt working since it's too big of a file.

-I used to write full reviews but I was always behind and eventually just switched to writing them for beers that needed to be added to the system. The stats are gone now but I think I've added 400-500 beers here. A year or two ago I stopped that as well. In fact my 7300ish reviews/hads only account for the first 8,000 entries in the spreadsheet. The other 700 are either beers that need to be added here or are from breweries that are now closed. I have a pile of notebooks from over the years with notes on almost all these beers but it would take years of my life to enter reviews for all of them. It used to be about attempting to try every beer in the world, but I realized long ago that that is impossible. There are probably 3 new breweries opening every single day in the US. These days I have at least as much fun just travelling and meeting people (I've met probably close to 100 people on this site in person over the years), and of course seeing new places.

-People need to learn that this is a consumer website. The scores are averages of what a lot of people thought about the beer. Do people that take the time to write 5 paragraphs about a beer have a better palate? More importantly, does it even matter? Because one person tastes 14 different things in a beer doesnt mean that you will, and because they thought it was a 4.45 beer doesnt mean that you will like it at all. If the average is high then it means that MOST people like it, not all, and not anyone that is somehow more qualified than another to rate it.

-One score of 1 or 5 isnt going to make a difference when there are 100 scores to be averaged. I'm really not sure where the conspiracy theories come from but I highly doubt that anyone is gaming the system. It's not like you get anything for reviewing a beer high or low (or for reviewing more beers than the next person for that matter).

Honestly, if Ratebeer allowed .25 increments for their hads I would just use that. I've offered numerous times over the years to help clean up the database here but never got a response. All I can do is occasionally send a suggestion or correction. It's sad that this is the most popular beer site in the world (by number of users anyway) but the database, which should be the most important part, is a total mess. But I guess that's another argument for another day.