1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Amusing Black Crown article.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 22, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

This beer writer was sent a promotional sample of Budweiser Black Crown...in a briefcase...with a vial of glitter and other ridiculous things.

I thought this was pretty funny. This just looks like desperation to me. Budweiser shouldn't try to be craft beer (if this resembles anything you'd even see in the craft beer world??). They should stick with what they know and what they're good at...mass-produced corn water beer.

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2013/02/08/proof-that-budweiser-really-wants-you-to-love-black-crown/

2. Haha, that briefcase is ridiculous. Black Crown wasn't offensive to me like Bud Lite Platinum was, but it didn't taste like much either.

I think Budweiser should try to be craft beer. Why not? Worst case they continue brewing beers that I don't want to drink. Best case is they finally come out with something worth drinking.

harrylee773 and Uniobrew31 like this.
  3. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

"Budweiser’s latest attempt to throw a white collar around a red neck."

Oh snap. Nice article.

4. I agree, I never thought of it like this! They are trying to improve and appeal to people who drink better beer. That's not a bad thing! When they do get onto something you know supply wont be a problem.

5. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

<3 B&WB...longtime reader, I am.

6. I hate marketing like that and everybody associated with it. What a joke.

7. I love the last line.

"Anyway, nice try Budweiser – maybe next year.
    Thanks for the fancy case."

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I was going to make a "putting lipstick on a pig" joke, but it looks like those vials did the job for me.

9. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Not a fan of Bud, but the article writer comes across as the douche bag we all loathe in the beer snob threads. That guy needs to have a beer.

mtk180, dan027, BigBarley and 2 others like this.
  10. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Why? Because he calls Bud out for their marketing garbage? They sent him the "ingredients" to the beer yet left out 3/4 of the things that make something beer. I sure hope there really isn't lipstick and glitter in that crap.

11. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

Other than the lame "red neck" joke and mention of Tim Mcgraw concerts, I thought it was an entertaining read.

My favorite
    Graphic Designer: (A young female dressed like a sk8r boi *stomach rumbles*): I want sushi.​

12. ISO Budweiser glitter

patol8 and Squidly like this.
  13. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

That beer has no difference in taste from regular Budweiser. The appearance is the same too. If they wanted to make a higher alcohol beer resembling regular bud, why not make it with more than just 1% higher than regular bud? BC won't stay on the shelves long, IMO.

Shagator likes this.
  14. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (335) Washington Oct 27, 2009

I am just glad it was brewed with passion.

mdvatab likes this.
  15. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Enjoyable read. Loved the redneck joke.

16. Cenosillicaphobe

Does Budweiser actually believe that the appeal of craft beer lies exclusively within elevated ABVs and pretense?

dennis3951 likes this.
  17. WTF those vials cannot be serious. AB stop, just stop.

18. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

The Unknown: Now this just seems lazy to me.
    Account Exec (wearing hipster glasses) “What do we put in the sixth vial, you guys?”​
    Copywriter (bearded and wearing an ironic sweater) “I dunno.”​
    Graphic Designer: (A young female dressed like a sk8r boi *stomach rumbles*): I want sushi.​
    Account Exec and Copywriter: Hells yes!​
    Account Exec: But the vial…​
    Copywriter: I got it – “The Unknown” – we can leave the damn thing empty. Who cares, anyway?​
    Account Exec: I like it – mysterious!​
    Graphic Designer: Whatever – let’s eat!​

ISO: Vial of Unknown!

tbryan5, mdvatab and Kerrie like this.
  19. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

To be fair, I've had much worse beers than Black Crown. But, that briefcase? C'mon. WTF!?! I don't think it's being snobby or douchey to poke a little fun. The people who came up w/ and approved this marketing idea are so far disconnected from knowing what good beer is, it's not even funny.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  20. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

21. They only gave me a bottle of this essence of malt/rice extract to sample, I feel ripped off that I didn't get the glitter case. I'm only left to imagine the amount of this that I could have sold if I had a vile full of passion with a cross dresser kiss mark to show off to potential buyers.

22. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

Not at all a bad thing...if they were at all serious.

23. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

AB truly doesn't get it. I bet this beer is off the market within 6 months. I almost feel sorry for them. Their head is so firmly lodged up their rear-end that they don't realize that virtually ANYONE can bring a truly superior product to market with .0000001% the marketing effort applied here. Just wow.

beergurujr and ChefHopMeister like this.
  24. Bones10

Bones10 Savant (415) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

The problem is that this Black stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol out of the bottle. And most folks will drink this out of the bottle.

25. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Looked at the article. It just proves that not even AB-Inbev can get away with putting lipstick on a pig.

26. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (320) New York Feb 20, 2012

Are they ever going to learn?

Stop trying to focus your efforts on people like us on this site... the reason that we drink quality beer and buy from craft brewers is that we aren't like the masses and we are smart. We don't buy beer because the television or the radio tells us to or because we saw some commercial with some really big horses in it. We buy beer that tastes good and thats made from genuine hard working and passionate folks like ourselves.

They are good at one thing and that's appealing to the masses and selling Budweiser. They are never going to reach people who drink craft beer because those people simply drink...craft beer.

27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

That was hilarious. Definitely will keep up with that blog from now on.

I really don't think this was meant for craft beer writers (although I know more than a few that got this particular case) but more for fluff pieces to be written in newspapers/blogs announcing/talking about the new product, not reviewing its' contents.

Craft beer writers are obviously gonna see right through the bull.

28. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (390) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Fixed that for you ;)

What you're saying for CRAFT BEER BUYERS is true, but not of most of the people on this site.

If you can't see the absurd snobbery of the internet bier world, there is no hope!

Are people with tattoos and piercings non-conformists?
    No, they're still conformists, just to a different aesthetic.

zach60614 and beergurujr like this.
  29. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I had one the other day and there are very few beers that I have had that were worse. Some of those have been craft beers though

30. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

Stupid.

bilboTbaggins likes this.
  31. Yes, I believe they do.

32. Well i guess its not to misleading after all, the empty jar on the end "the unknown" its actually depicting the taste.

AstronautMikeDexter likes this.
  33. Are you kidding me? Do some reading on AB inbev then.

34. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Worst case is that they succeed and put even more craft breweries out of business, gaining an even firmer strangle-hold on the market and stamping out creativity and quality wherever possible.

Yes, it is. Monopolies are bad, m'kay?

Poking fun at what is some of the douchiest marketing in existence makes one a douche?

Droogins likes this.
  35. Black Crown is not being brewed for craft beer drinkers. It is being brewed for Budwiser drinkers. AB Ibev's goal is always the same. Make beer that costs nothing or pennies a barrel more to brew, that can be sold for $1.00 more a 6 pack.

beergurujr likes this.
  36. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

100% agree. Black Crown, Bud American Ale, etc. are not meant to attract the craft brew crowd. Let's be real, there are thousands of breweries--including some very large one, like Sierra Nevada & Sam Adams--that can brew decent beer. Not all of it is terrific, much of it is enjoyable.

Don't you think that if BMC really wanted to make a decent American pale ale they could? With all of their production capacity & technology for quality control...of course they could! They don't do it because they feel it won't increase their profits. They brew Black Crowns to get non-craft drinkers to spend more money on beer...BMC beer.

mfnmbvp, JuliusCaesar and jglowe77 like this.
  37. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

Agreed regarding Black Crown not being intended for craft beer drinkers. I think the two puzzling things for most of us are: 1) why are they marketing through craft beer writers, and 2) why the suitcase? If the goal was "create buzz among beer drinkers" with no regard to whether it's positive or negative buzz, we're even obliging them. I'd just tend to think that they have some unintended/wasted marketing here, which was intended for the Sports Illustrated/Men's Health/Maxim/GQ crowd. And why the suitcase? Who on Earth knows? Maybe the ad agency's L'Oreal team had some extra time on their hands?

38. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Of course, the great irony of the BMC marketing machine is that if they took the money they spend trying to convince us that their beer is good, and instead spent that money on the brewing of beer, they might actually make a good beer, and people would drink it because its good, not because a commercial told them to.

39. Cenosillicaphobe

I agree that they surely couldn't be naive enough to think they can bring us rebel scum back into the empire...but I find myself thinking more and more that these new labels are an attempt to provide the illusion of choice in order to retain those customers who may have grown bored of their father's beer and may otherwise stray in favor of something a bit younger, hipper, and sexier...rather than actually trying to convert drinkers of normal Buttweiser in order to make an extra buck...though I may be wrong...

40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

They're not marketing to the BA crowd, the small few percent of consumers. They are marking to the middle and to the beer drinkers who shudder happen to drink Miller and or maybe Coors and such.The outrage with InBev is really ridiculous, it doesn't hurt you, you don't drink their products your not even on their radar, so who cares? The bar I go to has 18 craft taps, but the majority of the beer drinkers drink what's on sale like Yuengling and or Bud Light pitchers for $5. The most popular bottles are probably Miller Lite and or Bud Light, I rarely ever see anyone drinking a regular Budweiser and never a Miller. This is the the crowd they are marketing to, which is why Platinum at 6% ABV sold pretty well when it was first introduced, I don't see anyone drinking it now. They brew to make money nothing more or less, and gather up other smaller breweries that supports their market share and demographic target.