1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Amusing Black Crown article.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 22, 2013.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

No, they will appeal to the guys standing in the beer aisle having this conversation:

Dudebro 1: "What should we get?"

Dudebro 2: "Idunno, somethin' good man."

Dudebro 1: "yeah......"

:grabs a 12 pack of Blue Moon and Shocktop and walks out:

That's their target demo.
  2. Looks like just another attempt at trying to market a inferior product with a "slick" presentation and gimmicks.
  3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

In the latest Power Hour from Brewers Association there was a report that highlighted the sales of new labels, and how those sales were high at first for most labels, with a few still around, and fewer still doing well (SN Torpedo, for one). But the report seemed clear--to me: new labels will sell well at first, then dwindle.

Different conclusions could be made, but to me it seems that AB is capitalizing (or trying to) on this.
    Introduce a new product, watch is sell, then when it dwindles just replace it with an even newer label. If people like new things, keep giving them new things. It doesn't matter what it is. Obviously :rolleyes:
  4. “Introduce a new product, watch is sell, then when it dwindles just replace it with an even newer label. If people like new things, keep giving them new things.”

That thought crossed my mind when I was participating in the Bud Light Straw-ber-rita thread. I finally postulated that this beverage is basically a malt alternative beverage (vs. a beer). I thought to myself: how long does a malt alternative beverage last? For example, how long was Zima on the market? I am starting to think that the marketing folks at AB are thinking along the lines you mentioned. Let’s introduce new products whether they are beer products (e.g., Bud Light Platinum, Black Crown, Beck’s Sapphire,) or Malt Alternatives (Bud Lite Lime-rita, Bud Light Straw-ber-rita, etc.) and make some money on the initial introduction and have the Chemical Engineer that heads the Pilot Brewery (or maybe we should call it the Pilot Lab) invent new stuff to market to folks.

In my opinion AB was a beer company in the not too distant past but now I think that AB InBev is just an alcoholic beverage company (thanks to the BA who pointed his out to me).

Cheers!
  5. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I like the glitter. How else will I be able to write my name in glue on my favorite pint glass? I need that sparkle man, otherwise I'm just drinking beer with no show. It's all about the show.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  6. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I can't wait for my bmc friend to bring that to my house to show a craft beer he actually likes.
  7. Saw a re-run of the stupid commercial they aired at the beginning of the superbowl this year. Indeed pointless!
  8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Are they still being sued for "watering" down their beer?