1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anaheim?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Vav, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Vav

Vav Member

I'm coming out for the NAMM show and would like to hit up a few places with a great selection of beer, preferably with good food as well.

Flying into John Wayne, staying at the Anaheim Hilton right next to the convention center. I'll be renting a car for at least one day to head up to Santa Barbara to visit a friend.

Basically, i'd like to drink like a local.

Any suggestions would lovely. Thank ya kindly.
  2. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Noble Ale works is right there in Anaheim, close to Angel's Stadium. Basically head east on Katella, and you'll be most of the way there. They're not open monday or tuesday, so plan accordingly. Evan has been making some really good beers out of there of late.

The Bruery is nearby too, just up the 57 in Placentia. Probably 15 minutes away or so.

Taps is in Brea (straight up the 57 as well, at Imperial and Brea Blvd), and makes a great location for both beers and dinner. Somehow they tend to fly under the radar, but have some very good beers.

Since you have the car, Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach is probably 20 minutes away, and definitely worth the trip. By far one of Orange County's best beer locations.
    Rollzroyce21, Vav and sirtomtom like this.
  3. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Member

jasonmason pretty much covered it.

I'll add one more to the list, stop by Bootlegger's Brewery in Fullerton if you can.
    Vav likes this.
  4. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Member

or visit Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach where they have more of their house beers on tap
    MarkIntihar and Vav like this.
  5. blguillen

blguillen Member

Anaheim Brewery, close to where you'll be. No food though.
    Vav likes this.
  6. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Did the burger place next door to them ever open up? Umami burger, i think it was/is.
    Vav likes this.
  7. luisc123

luisc123 Member

Yeah it's open. Great beer selection, too
    Vav likes this.
  8. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

ISO: NAMM ticket :)

Oh yeah, Tustin Brewing Company not far away, either.
    Vav and MarkIntihar like this.
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Definitely try to hit Beachwood and/or Tustin. I've been traveling out that way for work fairly regularly over the past five months and I always try to hit at least one of those spots. You should also try to grab lunch at Hollingshead's one day (but be warned, they're cheeseheads...). You should also check out Out of the Park Pizza up near Anaheim Hills. No deep dish, but solid pizza, and an awesome beer selection.
    Vav likes this.
  10. blguillen

blguillen Member

my hood! I live up the street, maybe 2 minutes away. Love me some TBC! :cool:
    Vav and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. Vav

Vav Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Also be warned, they have expensive prices for their draft beers.
    Vav likes this.
  13. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

If your heading to Santa Barbara stop in Ladyface Alehouse right off the 101 in Agoura Hills. Like 1 minute from 101. Pick up a growler of whatever and take with you to visit your buddy. Some good IPA's and beers and good organic food. Check their website for whats on tap. They also have guest beers too. Your not gonna find anything great in Santa Barbara. IMO. Beachwood BBQ is a must if you have the time.
    Vav likes this.
  14. Carbon14

Carbon14 Member

Their prices are high but the beers are big. For an even worse beer value, try Haven a few blocks away.;)
    vurt and jasonmason like this.
  15. JigsawRecords

JigsawRecords Member

agreed... pay $8(?) for a Pliny which is often poured about 18/20oz.
  16. karink

karink Member

Beachwood BBQ
  17. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

Last time I went 9 of their tap handles were all underwhelming haven beers. If you're at the circle, check out smoqued instead. While still climbing the ladder of keg distributors they only carry CA beers, sell them at a pretty reasonable price, and have the best BBQ I've had in Orange County (feel free to share your locals if they're better, the only thing I love more than BBQ is beer).
    sirtomtom likes this.
  18. jmerriken

jmerriken Member

They Playground in Santa Ana should not be glossed over, most or all beers are $5, top class food!!! Many rare and local drafts, I'd put this second in your list after Beachwood although much closer to D Land, you can even cab it, less than 4 miles away. Check their website for draft list.
  19. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

They're only open for dinner now, so be aware of that.

Hollingshead is also not open on the weekends, so be aware of that.

Tustin is one of my favorites and they still have their Bourbon Barleywine on tap (not sure how it's lasted this long, I must be the only one that slams a couple glasses of it every week or two). Their other house beers are usually pretty good and they almost always have good guest taps.

The Bruery is another favorite and obvious choice. They have Humulus Lager on, so go advocate a few gallons of that.

Bootlegger's is a few miles just down Orangethorpe from the Bruery and they usually have some good beers on.

Taps is usually pretty solid. If you're looking for a bit fancier meal, this is a good choice.

Scroll past Alcatrash. Anaheim is okay, but nothing really special.

If you're going to pick a Beachwood, go to the brewpub in Long Beach. Larger location, all the house beers on tap, and the guest list is usually good.

As far as going up the coast, definitely hit Ladyface as suggested. In the Santa Barbara area you also have The Brewhouse and Hollister which are acceptable stops, the latter of which is the better but is a little bit north of the city. You can also hit Anacapa and Surf along the way in Ventura, though I personally found Anacapa to be better beers and a more inviting location.
    blguillen and MarkIntihar like this.
  20. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Member

Drafts
    Hollingshead - almost always have a RR brew on tap, IPAs or sours.
    Haven
    Taps
    Tustin
    Playground - though I wasn't too impressed with their tap list whenever I go. Could be strokes of bad beer luck

Bottleshop
    Hacienda Bev - you'll find relatively rarer brews here. Highly recommend.
    Total Wines (Brea and Tustin)
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  21. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Member

SB is about a 2.5 hour drive from Anaheim and that's if traffic's decent. Expect 5-6 hours roundtrip (more if traffic's bad, which is likely). I would recommend staying up there one night to bar hop on State St.. Just a suggestion.
  22. kmatlack

kmatlack Member

Was at Hollingshead 2 days ago, you are right about the RR being on tap. Noteworthy brews:

-Pliny
    -Blind Pig
    -Lagunitas Sucks
    -Victory at Sea

To be honest I didn't get any further than that. I snagged the Sucks no questions asked.
  23. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Member

MarkIntihar likes this.
  24. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

I drive up to santa barbara once a month if I can to go to
    Hollister brewing
    great food and amazing IPA's they have a coffee stout on right now that sounds so good last time I was there tried there stout which was real good but for sure you have to go and try The Pope IPA or if they have on Masterplan DIPA one of my favs also the hippie kicker is real nice and hip-hop DIPA just a great selection
  25. DCRA

DCRA Member

You may also want to hit up Noble Aleworks which is located in Anaheim.
    blguillen likes this.