1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anchor Brewing Co. to build 2nd brewery on San Francisco's Pier 48; quadrupling production

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Read more:
    http://www.sfgate.com/business/bottomline/article/Anchor-Brewing-plant-on-S-F-waterfront-4288394.php
    tfischl, Pahn, acevenom and 6 others like this.
  2. mactrail

mactrail Champion (755) Washington Mar 24, 2009

I'm hoping they'll use the space to make better and more interesting beers. On a recent trip to San Francisco I was surprised how insipid and soapy their Steam Beer tasted out of the bottle.
  3. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

YES!!! They mentioned an expansion when I took the tour last year, surprised it took so long since that brewery is cramped to the max. Just tried and loved the Cali Lager, so here's to hoping that we see more of their Zymaster series in bottles. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Anchor, I owe much of my love of beer to them.
    ICCULIS, Pahn, raynmoon and 3 others like this.
  4. Great news. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.
    ChanChan likes this.
  5. I think they hadn't expanded before because Fritz always wanted to keep it small & local. The new ownership has taken the bull by the horns with new beers and now this. Looking forward to it. Will be great to hit before Giants games!
  6. I'm an Anchor fanboy and I know that, as rmdownward mentioned, Maytag wanted to keep it small and local. However, I don't have a problem with this expansion. Their products have remained tasty since the ownership change (in my opinion, at least), and with a second brewery being located in San Francisco I don't have to worry about them opening a brewery elsewhere and not properly adjusting the water.
    Pahn likes this.
  7. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

As far as the style is concerned they have cornered the market on "California Common's" Much how Sam Adams has almost always made Lagers... I hope they expand much like the Boston beer company did, to produce some more unique things. Much like Mactrail stated.
    mactrail likes this.
  8. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Hopefully they will have a pub that you can walk into and try their beers on tap!
  9. It'll be nice to have a reason to visit that part of town other than going to a Giants game.
  10. Totally disagree. Big fan of Anchor and their simplistic approach to brewing. Some call it primitive, but in this new era of DIPA's and TRIPAS and Imperial Stouts I truly appreciate the simple, smooth, and flavorful beers that Anchor puts out. Here-here and Cheers to the new brewery, Can't wait for my next visit to the bay area.
  11. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I didn't realize there was a need for making more Anchor beers but good to hear!
  12. Considering they gave me my first beer epiphany moment of "holy smackers, this is religion in a bottle." with their Liberty Ale, and I'm currently quaffing a Brekle's Brown. I gotta support this.
    Gatch likes this.
  13. For those of you "new" craft beer drinkers, do yourself a huge favor (if you have not already done so) by drinking some Anchor Liberty Ale - the first real CA IPA and a true consistent treasure for over a decade.
  14. Between my friends and I, we have consumed more gallons of Anchor products than just about anyone. Their beer has lost some quality since Fritz left, in my opinion. I don't think he would have approved of "natural flavors" added to their Christmas beer, either.
  15. Any reason why only "for over a decade"? It's been brewed much longer (closing in on 40 years) and it's as good today as the first one I had on the east coast around 1984 (found and brought home to me by my SO visiting Boston armed with a list from me, living in the Fingers Lakes).

The Anchor Christmas "Our Special Ale" labels have read "...with Natural Flavors..." since 1989.

See all 38 years worth of Anchor Christmas Ale labels
  16. "with", not "added"
  17. I stand corrected as to when, but the last 2 editions sucked.
  18. 1992 and up say "...with Natural Flavors added." What's the difference?
  19. Ingredients added after the brewing process vs. during. It is very apparent in crappy beers like Pyramid Apricot vs. something a little more subtle like 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat (at least the one from the actual brewery, not one in the can brewed by contractors). Although, being a coconut fan, I'm kind of a sucker for Kona Coconut Brown, despite it's A-B origins...
  20. mactrail

I, too will be eager to check out the new brewing facility. I just think they are coasting on a long downhill slide. In the 70s, when I went to SF State, Anchor Porter was the Holy Grail. But then we thought Pabst Bock was really special too.
  21. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Hopefully they will brew more of "Our Barrel Ale"!
    afrokaze likes this.
  22. lionking

lionking Savant (310) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2006

I was in Cali a few years back for business. Toured Anchor, a great tour (Also toured bud plant in Fairfield on same trip). Believe they were distilling in a building across the street at that time. Im a big fan of their beers. Suprised they dont build somewhere else as their beers seem to be available nationally.
  23. Can't speak to a drop in quality as I wasn't alive in the 70's. I don't disagree that it would be nice to see them put out some new beers, even if only on draft. My favorite thing about SF is that every bar has Anchor and SNPA on tap. Compared to where I live on the east coast where I have to seek out bars with good draft selections.
  24. The craft brew that introduced me to craft brew back in the 80's, Anchor Steam. Good for them as well as a nice add-on for the pre and post game entertainment for Giants games. Beer and baseball...it's a natural fit.
    Redrover likes this.
  25. They have started doing this recently with their Zymaster series. The newest one is Flying Cloud San Francisco Stout and it's quite good.
    afrokaze likes this.
  26. Hell yeah. Hope it makes its way to the east coast.
  27. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Why do you think that's the distinction between "with Natural Flavors" and "with Natural Flavors added"? Do you have evidence that there's anything meaningful to that other than changing labeling requirements from the government?
  28. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

re: "with" vs "added" meaning anything at all, pffffffffffffffft

re: anchor expansion, nice!

i think anchor is easily one of the best breweries in america regardless of size. fresh humming ale is a revelation, steam and liberty are consistently good, porter is awesome, and old foghorn fresh or aged is excellent. brekle's brown is pretty great too.
    ThirstyFace and afrokaze like this.
  29. mactrail

We do get spoiled in Calif, but Philadelphia is the place.
  30. The best evidence I have is the look on my face I usually have on my face after drinking one with added flavors. They seem to be covering something up or buffering a weaker beer underneath. They're not all bad, but mostly they are. I often buy shitty beers for the cap and I usually drink what's underneath, and I have found that BMC and "nfa" beers are the worst, is all. And as far as Anchor goes, it's not what it used to be.
  31. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (420) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Cool. I love Anchor Brewing, especially the Liberty Ale which is one of my favorite session-able pale ales. My job will probably send me from Florida to NoCal later this year. I have always wanted to tour their brewery.
  32. So, then, you have no actual citations of TTB labeling requirements or rulings to back this up?
  33. Not a fan of most Anchor beers, as I find they have a subtle sawdust character to them. I do really like their porter, even if it drinks closer to an ESB. As mactrail said, hopefully this new facility will give them a chance to experiment and come out with some new styles, rather than just increasing production of Steam.
  34. Danielbt

Doesn't look like it.

It's fine to say that you don't like the beer as much any more, but there's no reason make up excuses as to why.
  35. If you look back, you'll see I never mentioned anything about labeling laws or government requirements. All I know is, when a beer has "natural flavors added", it almost always sucks. See this website's review of Linenkugel Fireside Nut Brown for one reviewer's take on "natural flavors added". What are some good ones you've had?
  36. Why not?
  37. Danielbt

Because making claims about the process a product uses with having any objective evidence is also called a "lie".
    Pahn likes this.
  38. I wish they would just double the hop content of their beers instead.
  39. Thanks for using quotation marks for the word "lie", since I made no claims about any breweries' processes, I said that, in my opinion, "nfa" to beer is used to diguise something or add a flavor they couldn't otherwise achieve. And 99% of them still suck. What, to you, is a good beer with nfa? I promise not to call your opinion a "lie".
  40. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

600,000 barrels?! Holy crap, that's a lot of beer! That will put them above Bell's actual 2011 production and will equal Lagunitas' new capacity (with the Chicago facility). Still about 10% of Sam Adams.