1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anchor IPA debuting to kick-off San Francisco Beer Week

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by JohnCassillo, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Just announced today, Anchor will be releasing their new Anchor IPA to kick off San Francisco Beer Week. Initial distribution will be in California, before headed elsewhere as well.

---

(San Francisco, CA) – Today, Anchor Brewing Company announces the release of Anchor IPA™; a new brew to join Anchor’s core lineup of distinctive, hand-crafted beers.

During the California Gold Rush, Thirsty ’49ers savored imported IPAs, but it wasn’t until 1975 that Anchor, America’s original craft brewery, pioneered the revival of dry-hopped handmade ales with the introduction of Anchor’s Liberty Ale®, the first modern American IPA brewed after Prohibition. Now, that tradition fast-forwards to an adventurous new brew: Anchor IPA™. Made with 2-row barley malt and fresh whole-cone hops, its bright amber color, distinctively complex aroma, spiky bitterness, malty depth, and clean finish unite to create a uniquely flavorful and timeless IPA.

The California Gold Rush lured thousands west to “see the elephant,” a 19th-century metaphor for the hopeful but risky pursuit of happiness, adventure, and fortune. The elephant you see on Anchor IPA™ was hand-drawn by Anchor label artist, James Stitt. Learn more about the journey to “See the Elephant” by watching the new Anchor IPA™ Video.

To kick off San Francisco Beer Week, Anchor IPA™ will initially be released in California throughout the month of February followed by select US market releases from March through May. Anchor IPA will be available year-round in 6-packs, 12-packs, 22-ounce bottles, and on draught in select restaurants and bars as well as the Anchor Brewing Taproom in San Francisco.

###

2. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

This is gonna make for some good discussion.

If nothing else, it looks damn good. Can't wait to give it a try.

Pegli, HRamz3 and Pahn like this.
  3. Yeah, I've always wondered why Anchor hasn't really had an IPA on the market. Glad that's changed -- I do want to give it a try, for sure. Will probably try to grab an individual bottle at my local Total Wine before committing to the full six-pack, however.

Redneckwine likes this.
  4. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

Estimated avg score on the site... 3.67/5

DrinkAnchorSteam likes this.
  5. Can't tell you how excited I am for this release - I think Liberty Ale is one of the true gems of all craft beers ever produced, and it still resonates with us who have been drinking nothing but craft beer for the past 25 years.

I hope Anchor IPA will become a staple in my fridge.

Has anyone had the chance to sample it yet? Thoughts?

2beerdogs and HRamz3 like this.
  6. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

agree. further:

estimated level of superiority to most IPAs on market: far superior.

estimated fate: they produce too much, it doesn't all sell fresh, reputation plummets even as true believers like myself tout "yet another world class anchor beer!"

see also: humming ale.

7. Right. It's not made by one of the hyped up breweries like Founders or Bell's or Russian River, so the score will suffer for that

8. :D Well, maybe the ones who struck gold did.

I can never understand Anchor's recent promotional claim wording (I think they use the same phrasing for their Porter) like:
    I can name well over a dozen US India Pale Ales that were brewed after Repeal. Some with brand names that did not exist pre-Pro, others that probably had different recipes than the same brewers' pre-Pro IPA, etc.

So, to that Anchor might claim that those weren't "modern" IPA's - older hop strains, different ABV and IBUs, adjunct-brewed, different aging methods and lengths, higher attenuation, etc.

OK, I'll buy that.

But then why add "...after Prohibition"? If the "modern" IPA is different from the pre-Pro and post-Repeal US IPAs, than "modern" IPAs didn't EXIST before Prohibition.

I don't know, if I was Anchor, I wouldn't bother with such convoluted claims. My slogan would be something along the lines of:
    Hey, we're Anchor @#$% Brewing Co. Enough said.

9. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

but wait... If they only make like 150 cases of it, and have a huge release party and only send kegs out to "select lucky retailers", then perhaps they can charge 17.99$ a six pack and the score will go shooting up.

keithmurray likes this.
  10. California Lager I liked whereas I wasn't a huge fan of Big Leaf. Hopefully the IPA is good and we get fresh bottles here in PA because it seems like most Anchor year-round product we see tends to be old.

11. The hops they are using sound like they'd make a great IPA. Color looks pretty dark. I'm looking forward to trying it.

12. Anchor will be tasting this new IPA out at their Brewer Dinner at Maso Restaurant in San Francisco on Monday Feb 10.

13. Troville1990

Troville1990 Savant (375) Illinois Jan 17, 2012

Amen to that.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. My thoughts exactly.

15. mxchap

mxchap Savant (340) California Aug 30, 2012

Must pour down throat...

creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. Recently had my first Anchor Porter and was shocked - SHOCKED - at how well it lived up to it's score/rep. So smooth and creamy, I just wanted to guzzle it for hours... I have one more in the cellar...

And I have YET to try Anchor steam! I've actually never had a beer of the style at all...

Troville1990, TongoRad and mxchap like this.
  17. I'll be looking for this. I wants the precious . . .

mxchap likes this.
  18. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Cant say anything for certain, but it will probably be pretty good. Ill probably pick up a single or get it at a bar and see how I like it. Like their angel with the elephant.

19. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'll definitely try it. California Lager was good but Big Leaf was god awful.

steveh likes this.
  20. Anchor Liberty is great, Steam is great, Porter is okay. I love the little promotional video. I dig beers with stories... I am in agreement that its definitely not the first "post-prohibition" IPA. But Im totally gonna keep my eyes peeled for this one.

21. steveh

I didn't even want to go near Big Leaf!

22. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

It was a wonderful combination of astringency, butter, out-of-place piney hops, non-maple sweetness, and too much carbonation. On the plus side it was at least nice to look at :p

steveh likes this.
  23. steveh

Uh oh... that's what I said about the IPA! :D

24. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I find this sentiment puzzling. Anchor's liberty ale doesn't qualify?

While no great shakes by today's standards I guess, when it first came on the market in 1975, Liberty ale was one of the best American style IPA's on the market. Even today, the beer holds up well, with it's huge, perfumy, hop driven nose. Frankly, given that Anchor has made a very solid, American style IPA for years, I'm a bit puzzled by the thinking behind this new beer. While I'm looking forward to trying it, I'll be pretty surprised if I find myself preferring it to the Liberty Ale.

Bones10 likes this.
  25. I think a lot of the issue in terms of Liberty Ale is that its not overtly marketed as an IPA and amidst today's market, it gets lost in the shuffle because of it. I myself am guilty of not really considering it as an IPA option -- which I wouldn't say is a good thing.

You do bring up a good point, though: What's going to be the thinking behind this beer as opposed to Liberty? Obviously it's going to be marketed as an IPA to compete with the way the CA market looks. But what's going to be the differentiation beyond a bit higher ABV (5.9 v. 7.4)? Perhaps they phase out Liberty? Or at some point, rebrand this to Liberty? Just seems like this could cause some market cannibalization.

26. steveh

I think you hit it on the nose with, "While no great shakes by today's standards..." I've always cataloged it into the APA realm -- which is to say it's enjoyable, nonetheless. But just like SN with Torpedo, I think Anchor is looking to ride the popularity of a bigger IPA.

JMO, but I'm honestly looking more forward to trying this IPA more than some of the others that come out every other day.

JohnCassillo likes this.
  27. steveh

Bite your tongue! I can see room for both beers if the IPA is something classic.

28. That's fair. Not saying it's definitely going to happen. Just an idea. Like I said -- curious to see what differentiates, since ABV's not a huge jump.

29. steveh

I know you're not saying it's "definitely" going to happen, but don't even think it man! Losing the Liberty would be akin to losing the Steam!

30. Liberty Ale is a single hop (cascade) IPA that came out in 1975. With the advent of new hops & combinations available, they probably felt it was time to produce a new multi-hop take on an IPA.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  31. Amen!!!!

32. HighWine

HighWine Savant (375) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Seriously! They would have created a firestorm if they released it as a beer week only with a two 12oz bottle limit per person. If they really cared about high ratings, they would send the same product to Vermont for bottling under a different label!

33. I always look forward to new Anchor beers, and this is no exception.

34. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Always good to see a new Anchor brew coming out, I'm hoping this will be one of the more balanced IPA offerings out there. I wonder what their big annoncement on the 6th that they've been hyping up will be.

35. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

im certain I asked them during a tour a year and a half ago if they would try to make a newer/west coast type ipa. To which the brewer responded something to the effect..that's not our game, its not what we are about around here.... don't remember his exact words but I took it as a definite no..nonetheless..I will try this beer.

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

You went to the trouble to post this on BA and you're not even planning to "commit" to a six-pack... it's 9 bucks, not marriage.

od_sf likes this.
  37. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (355) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Anchor has at various times in the last 25 years referred to Liberty as either an IPA or an APA. Just before the recent buyout they were calling it an APA. Now it's IPA, presumably because that sells better. Makes it a wee bit confusing for those who like to say there are no objective styles and a beer is whatever the brewer calls it....

38. Can't wait to try it.

39. I loved Humming, it was my favorite Fall beer, I'm not a huge fan of many of Anchor's beers besides that one.

Hope this IPA is as great as Humming was!

40. Wanted to give it a try first before grabbing the full six-pack. I don't really understand; what's the problem with that if it's available to me? Since when are there rules about how I can and can't buy beer? Also curious how my preferred method of buying beer affects whether or not I should post news on BA.