1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anchor Porter --- Diacetyl?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Eriktheipaman, Mar 11, 2014.

1. I have been slowly sipping on a Anchor mixed 12 pack over the last two months. Anchor is such a great overlooked brewery which has been putting out great everyday beers for a long time.

With that said I have not tried Anchor Porter until recently. The first bottle I didn't enjoy but didn't think too much into it (I don't think too in depth about most the beers I drink btw). The next bottle I held off drinking for awhile but dug into it last night and notices a huge diaceytl issue. With it having such a high rating on here I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
    millses90 likes this.
  2. I just had it and didnt notice that.
  3. I haven't had it lately (shame on me), but always thought it was there but subtle and well-integrated- more of a feature than a bug. Definitely less noticeable then in Samuel Smith's beers. In fact, I wondered how they have kept it under control all these years. Maybe there is an off batch from time to time?
  4. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

Definitely an English porter for certain.
  5. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Never had a problem with dactyl in AP, always a favorite.

Some people are more sensitive to the character.
  6. As I was reading the the initial post I thought, "sounds like the Taddy Porter flavor."
  7. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

never thought of it as being intentional.. but.. yeah.. i thought about Samuel Smith, too.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While I haven't had it specifically in that beer, I have gotten very very mild diacetyl in a couple of their other (non-flagship) beers. I always figured it was because they were using English ale yeasts and it was just a small byproduct. The exception was Red Maple. That beer was a mess on several levels, with butter being a major issue.
    Harnkus likes this.
  9. Strange that no one else has picked it up in this specific beer. Glad no one has called me crazy yet either. It was definitely there to the point it was very noticeable and outside of the acceptable style range.

Could have been just a specific batch, but I would think a brewery as large as Anchor wouldn't have QC issues like that so idk.
  10. AP is the only Anchor beer I've had (and Good Lord did I love it... need to pick up some more sometime) Didn't pick up on diacetyl, but on the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever picked up on diacetyl, so I could easily miss it. I have always thought that Mich. Golden Light has a buttery flavor, but it's consistent.
  11. prock180

prock180 Savant (310) Arizona Mar 9, 2013

I have noticed this too. First time I noticed was a few months back and then again recently. It was so detectable I was turned off by it. Hopefully they can fix that small issue cuz I really used to like anchor porter.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  12. WillyB123

WillyB123 Zealot (75) California Feb 21, 2014

I've been drinking a sixer of AP over about 3 days and it has tasted usual to me. That diacetyl flavor seemed to be intentional to me. I'm thinking maybe a few bad bottles or batch or something. I think the sixer I have was bottled Feb. 4th. And for the record, I'm a strong believer that Anchor Porter is the best beer ever made.
  13. Bold statement! The bottles i had were from November.
  14. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

And you've picked up dacetyl in the past? I've been drinking it for close to 30 years and never picked it up -- and I'm someone who doesn't mind a little dacetyl in the right beer.

Makes me wonder if the new owners might be monkeying around.
  15. I think Anchor Porter is a flawless beer. I can't think of another beer that has given me greater pleasure to drink.
    TongoRad and Harnkus like this.
  16. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Imo the only mistakes Anchor has made were cancelling the Bock and Humming Ale! Otherwise one of the best out there. A little diacetyl is appropriate for the English style porter, but I've never picked up much in Anchor's.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  17. There is a rich banana (and prune) taste to the beer which is unusual. For me it is an American classic (not 'English style' at all), one of the greatest American beers (Anchor claim it was the first modern American porter).
    kerry4porters likes this.
  18. It could have happened after it left the brewery- all it takes is the precursors to diacetyl, plus whatever oxygen gets in at bottling, plus the time to develop. I'd be curious what they would say if you let them know about it- maybe they are unaware of what is going on.
  19. That's a good point. I will see if I can find the bottle in the recycling bin and send them an email.
    millses90 likes this.
  20. millses90

millses90 Aspirant (25) Virginia Mar 6, 2013

Very flavorful. I can taste their porter right now...
  21. WillyB123

WillyB123 Zealot (75) California Feb 21, 2014

I was wondering the same. I mean, I haven't been drinking for that long, but the new owners certainly have a vision that, in my opinion, is much different from the original Anchor. The exclusion of bock and humming with the addition of another IPA and a saison. Those moves are definitely based on what's hot right now, not based on making good beer. I'm worried that Anchor has the idea that it needs to stay relevant by coming out popular styles, when the fact that they make really, really solid beer is enough for them to stay relevant for a while. Not that they shouldn't make a new IPA, but I feel like Steam, Porter, Liberty are some of the most solid, great beers you can find anywhere. I didn't get that from their new IPA, it was just good.
    AirborneBeer likes this.