1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anheuser-Busch canning water for Sandy relief

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mikeburd1128, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Member

Lukafer, draheim, crushedvol and 8 others like this.
  2. korguy123

korguy123 Member

So it's Bud Light's new packaging?
  3. shand

shand Member

Way to beat everyone to the obvious joke. :(

Seriously though, props on AB-Inbev for doing this.
  4. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Member

ISO: Bud Water
    Squidly, draheim, MrHolland10 and 5 others like this.
  5. Biffster

Biffster Member

The jokes are easy. But good for them. My compliments to InbevBA.
    draheim, Mavajo, Levitation and 2 others like this.
  6. Brunite

Brunite Member

Apparently, they wanted to ship out some stuff with more taste than what they regularly can/bottle. Good on ém for that!
  7. xnicknj

xnicknj Member

shelters all need it for people who lost their homes or are temporarily displaced. there are areas in staten island and long island that lost water. there's also been issues with water advisories in certain NJ counties so most people were keeping tons of clean, bottled water on hand.

glad to see they're doing this, that packaging is pretty cool actually.
    mintjellie likes this.
  8. pjs234

pjs234 Member

Plus, anyone with a well does not have water without power.
  9. IceAce

IceAce Member

The Industry as a whole has always taken pride in doing whatever is necessary during a disaster.

As you enjoy your creature comforts, know that there are folks less fortunate...and kudos go out to everyone who has tried to assist the unfortunate.

Oh...and enjoy your new 'well-earned' avatar

(The folks in this industry are closer than you will ever imagine)
    davey101 likes this.
  10. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

After the 1994 Northridge earthquake here in SoCal, the Bud plant in Van Nuys bottled water in Bud bottles (sans label but with cap) and sent them to local elementary schools. We had to bring a sports bottle from home and the teachers would open the bottles behind their desk and fill our bottles up if we were thirsty.

On a side note, I got to drink water from a can at a Warped Tour once (canned by Monster for the bands) and it was weird as fuck drinking water from a can.
    SnowFlowMfg and Boilerfood like this.
  11. Steasy66

Steasy66 Member

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

That's true. But there's room temp beer in the darkened dedicated beer fridge and a bottle of Firestone-Walker Union Jack tastes pretty good at that serving temperature after a little chainsawing and chopping firewood.

Making drip coffee manually in the morning however... well, I guess I'd used the canned Bud stuff as shown above.
  13. tewaris

tewaris Member

Yeah, I read somewhere that they had already canned a bunch of water in anticipation of flooding in the Summer of 2011.
  14. davey101

davey101 Member

Jokes aside, this is one of the great things that BMC does for disaster relief. Older labels:
    [​IMG]
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  15. pjs234

pjs234 Member

Is that a pic right out of you cellar? What vintage is it? Hopefully not 2005, heard that year was infected.

But to your point, yes, it is very cool that they do this in disaster situations
    davey101, sacrelicio and KegKicker like this.
  16. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Member

Well done, AB! I'll go buy some BCBS to support you :)

Side note, I think this is actually a great idea in general,. I would much rather buy water in cans vs bottles because I could just crush them and recycle them without taking up a bunch of space with empty bottles.
    matthaslaservision likes this.
  17. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

I'm curious what PR team keeps putting these 'news' articles out on almost every craft beer blog.
  18. chcfan

chcfan Member

Fixed that for ya.
  19. nc41

nc41 Member

With anothe storm moving in, I can't believe it could be worse, but if it hits it will be a mess added to a disaster. Over 100 dead already.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I'm sorry, I think it is against policy to have a positive thread about AB on here.
  21. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

First of all - good for them. But it still won't make me buy their products.

But....I do have a few questions:
    1. Has anybody tasted it yet? If so, how does it compare to their other products?
    2. When are they going to come out with Water Light?
    3. When are they going to come out with Water Platinum?
    4. Is the canned water beechwood aged?
    mikeburd1128 and WoodburyMN like this.
  22. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

I bet if smaller craft breweries could afford to the same thing, they would. AB obviously can afford to donate that much water, cans, and time, so that is really cool of them. I dont hate them AS MUCH now.
    MEW likes this.
  23. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Just to play devil's advocate here....if you want to impress me, take your logo that is plastered on the front of the can off. As it stands this is a great way to advertise.
    korguy123 likes this.
  24. industrialswill

industrialswill Member

At least with a well you could always [in a real long term scenario with no fuel to run a generator] convert it back to antique methods to draw out the water.
    What I couldn't live with are the septic systems that require an electric pump to push the do-do up hill.
  25. industrialswill

industrialswill Member

I wonder how many folks who are receiving water wish that the cans weren't labeled...?
    albertq17 and Duffmanohyeah02 like this.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Huh? What does that have to do with anything. Why would a can that said drinking water (leaving the donated by AB on there) be any different to them? All I am saying is if they are truely just doing this out of the kindness of their heart take the large AB logo off.
  27. crossovert

crossovert Member

It is cut with bud* light to save on cost and improve drinkability.
  28. phanlon

phanlon Member

There are plenty of reasons to criticize A-B's product, but this is not one of them. I don't see it as unreasonable that if are incurring costs to shut down their standard lines, convert to producing water, and then distributing it for free, then maybe they could get some recognition/benefit out of that. Particularly since, as another poster pointed out, its irrelevant to those who really need the water what is on the can.

I liken it to tax deductions for charitable contributions. If we're doing it out of the goodness of our heart, shouldn't we donate the money without claiming a deduction (and getting a small side benefit)?
  29. Aleforme

Aleforme Member

Companies have been doing this for years. I don't have a problem with it. Do some good and get some good PR as well.

Tide Laundry Detergent brings in huge 18 wheelers/trailers loaded with washing machines and dryers. They do peoples laundry for free so why shouldn't they get some credit? Also, pretty much every imaginable charitable event held throught out year for various causes are sponsored by huge corporations. Marathons, fun runs, etc.

I just don't have a problem with it. They're doing a good thing and truly helping so why not cut them some slack?
  30. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Member

I'm betting that the people who really need this couldn't care less about the label or who it came from, as long as it is safe drinking water.
  31. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Of course it is. It even has a formal term - "cause marketing".

Is it the most noble of endeavors? No, certainly not. But they're still doing something good for the world with a portion of their marketing budget instead of spending another 2 minutes on Super Bowl ads...
  32. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I certainly agree with all that, as I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. They are doing a very nice thing, but I was just making sure no one forgot it isn't a bad position for them to have thousands of cans out in people's hands with their logo plastered on it.

I think it would be better if they just left the little "donated by AB" part at the top, and took off the other logo, but that's just my opinion.
  33. evilc

evilc Member

Geez people. Here's my take:

Solid work ABInbev.
  34. charlzm

charlzm Member

When Hurricane Ivan struck the Florida Panhandle and the Alabama Gulf Coast in 2004, my mother lived in an area particularly hard-hit. All power was out, gas shut off, no sewer, roads blocked by flooding and downed trees. I flew out to help her with the clean-up. The Red Cross came around the neighborhood every day in a mobile food wagon, delivering hot meals. They also had six packs of this Bud drinking water.

Best thing they ever did that I knew about.
  35. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

Oh, so you think they're going to go altruistic without some benefit? Dream on bro.
    Hanzo likes this.
  36. Goosey

Goosey Member

Is that Kate Upton? ISO her, wedding ring in hand!
  37. GoGators

GoGators Member

This doesn't impress me. Put it in a cork and caged 750ml bottle though, and now you're talking.
    Stormfield and LostTraveler like this.
  38. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Member

Has anyone rated it yet on BA? No, but this is seriously really cool! Props AB-InBev
  39. dauss

dauss Member

They've definitely done this in the past. I remember seeing pictures of the cans during Katrina. I'm not sure if the ISO requests are serious, but I wouldn't take one even if I had the chance, because it is supposed to be given to people who need it more than I would. Props to ABI.

The story did say that ABI said that they had to "turn off the taps" to fill the cans. A big exaggeration. They used to produce 106+ million barrels in 2008 and only 98 million barrels in 2011. 1.05 million cans is less than 3,200 barrels, which is .038% of 8,500,000 bbls in lost production.
  40. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

When you have multiple taps, which I'm sure they have at any of their facilities, you only have to turn off 2 to say you've "turned off the taps". They didn't shut down the entire brewery to can the water. In fact, their biggest cost has to be the cans themselves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.