1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anheuser-Busch Expands Production of Bud Light Platinum

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by John_M, May 11, 2012.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

If this isn't literally the definition of great news, I don't know what is (obtained from the May "Real Beer" newsletter).

bomberdawg likes this.
  2. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Thank God have the ability to increase production like that. I was sick and tired of the one bottle limits at most stores. I had to drive around all day just to be able to buy enough for a night with my bros.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Some of my BMC drinking friends have switched to Platinum, they'll be glad to know instead of one pallet at every grocery store they'll start seeing two.
    Brad007 likes this.
  4. If AB had any sense, they'd make a Bud Light Craft. After all, adding the word "platinum" seems to have impressed their customers, imagine how much adding "craft" would do. On second thought, NOT. Bud Light drinkers would avoid it like the plague, fearing that they would be considered beer geeks if they drank anything associated with "craft'.
    JimmyW and seanluvsbeer like this.
  5. I still need to tick one of these...
    dbossman, Rckmo10, Bluecane and 4 others like this.
  6. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Any idea what Bud Platinum is replacing? Is it cannibalizing Bud Light? or Bud? or What?
    Duff27 likes this.
  7. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Good job man, AB/INBEV just trademarked the word "craft" and now we have to pay them royalties every time we post that word.
    seanluvsbeer and sailorastro like this.
  8. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Good, we sell a lot of it.
  9. rlcoffey

Can you answer my question from 2 posts up then? Whats it taking sales from?
  10. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I don't know the exact sales figures of the store I work at, but we still sell a ton of Bud light and some Bud, I guess I could ask.
  11. rlcoffey

Im sure the numbers are large enough that you might not even notice if the Bud and Bud Light fell some. It would probably take looking at numbers over some time frame. The goal, Im sure, is to take drinkers away from MillerCoors. A shift within the brand might not matter (depending on margins) as long as they got some share from MC.

If they are merely cannibalizing their own sales, its a failed product...or maybe not, if:
    A. the margins are higher
    B. it gets the people who were leaving Bud anyway to leave for another Bud product. If you believe the "fathers beer" argument, then shifting consumers from Bud to Bud Platinum buys you a generation.
    ZX6Chris likes this.
  12. karink

karink Aficionado (145) California Nov 28, 2009

AB does do craft, they own Goose Island :(
    ZX6Chris and kmatlack like this.
  13. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I think they would shy away in fear that it might actually have some flavor.
  14. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

I'd assume that Bud Platinum is, at least partially, cannibalizing the other Buds sales given the fact that the production is expanding to already existing factories. So unless those where idle AB is making less of the other Buds and more of the Platinum.
  15. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Great news, prob with not having enough is having to folllow every Budweiser truck hoping that they will be delivering some
  16. It's better than expanding their poor excuse for craft beer shock top Mohawk BS...
    EdTheEdge likes this.
  17. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Bought my first case of goose island today. I went with the IPA, $32 a case. I figured that their BCBS was so good that the quality would be up to par. Honestly, it tastes like a little hoppier version of budweiser and I am so disappointed. I anticipate a 99% more crap and 1% quality products from Goose Island in the future.
  18. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

Goose Island's IPA is nothing special but it doesn't taste "like a little hoppier version of budweiser".
    brystmar and jzeilinger like this.
  19. That assumes that all 12 domestic AB breweries were running at capacity. Their sales figures alone for the last 4 or 5 years (in which they've lost something like 7-8 million barrels, from 2008>date) shows that's not the case. Throw in the fact that AB-InBev moved both Beck's and Bass production for the US market to A-B breweries here, and it clear that A-B's breweries still have excess capacity.
    Chaz likes this.
  20. For what it is, I don't mind Platinum. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt I'd grab a sixer of it over something craft, but if I was in a bar/stadium/party with no craft, I wouldn't mind drinking it.
  21. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

it's cannibalizing the job of whoever made it. woof.
    ZX6Chris likes this.
  22. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

some guy came into my work claiming the bud light plantinum is the best beer out there
  23. I've run into the same thing myself in the Army. I looked at him weird, but I didn't think I could get through his redneck skull (no offence to rednecks, I love you guys being from GA and all, but he's a stubborn retard from Tenn). Eventually left cause I could not bring myself to drink Gamedays when I had some Great Yeti (overhyped imo) in my room.
    ZX6Chris likes this.
  24. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Imagine if they added "rare" to their beer. Bud Light Rare. Now that would fly off the shelves. You'd see it on Ebay for $200 starting bids..
    ZX6Chris likes this.
  25. John_M

At this point it's hard to say. The beer is relatively new, and the one place in town where I saw it (I'm sure it's around, I just haven't been looking), the bartender mentioned that most of the customers drinking it were more curious then anything else (buying one and done). Not that either I or the bartender I spoke to are experts on the subject, but his impression was that a lot of consumers are not very savvy about this beer. They see the "bud light" on the label, and they know the alcohol is higher, so they figure they're getting a high alcohol version of bud light (in other words, with the same calorie count). My guess is that most folks currently drinking it would likely stop if the realized the "light" part of the name is something of a misnomer. Obviously, AB has something of a vested interest in making sure that doesn't happen, and so far it appears they've been successful in getting macro swill light consumers to believe they can "have their cake and eat it too."

Also, I can't speak for the business practices of AB, but from what I can, they have a number of products that compete almost exclusively with other AB products (the whole michelob ultra light line-up for instance). That strikes me as crazy and wasteful, but what do I know?
  26. Hanzo

Calorie wise isn't Platinum only like 40 calories more per 12oz than regular Bud Light?
    John_M likes this.
  27. John_M

I think that's right. In fact, the calorie count for BL platinum is almost identical to the calorie count in regular bud.

I just think it's a joke for AB to call it a "light" beer, but on the other hand, I think it's pretty obvious why they did. It's all about marketing when it comes to making and selling beer at AB-InBev.
  28. Hanzo

I guess they get away with calling it light because it has like seven or eight fewer calories than regular Bud.
  29. John_M

I guess. As far as I know, there aren't any rules when it comes to calling a beer "light."

At 123 calories per 12 ounce serving, I used to find it pretty funny that Michelob Light was called a "light" beer. Up until then, I think most (all?) light beers were under 110 calories per 12 ounce serving. While I'm not certain of this, I believe at 137 calories per 12 ounce serving, bud light platinum is the most caloric light beer on the planet.

I assume that if Guinness felt there was any marketing advantage to it, they would call their stout a "light" beer (it has roughly the same calorie count as michelob light). However, that's one perception I thinik they want to avoid.
  30. OK let's see what we can do about that. kraft? nope - already taken. craaft? nope - looks too Scandanavian.
    keraft? maybe - but there may be pronunciation issues or the wine people have it already. Looks like we're screwed!
  31. You forgot Billy (who?) Busch's:

[​IMG]
  32. What an eye opener. I never realized. Is Billy an alter-ego, a bastard or was he adopted?
  33. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Where are these crafty lagers sold? I like the clean look of the label, and it also reminds me: whatever happened to the beer from that other Crafty guy?
  34. Son of Gussie Busch, (step?) brother of III. (I guess, the Busch family tree is pretty confused - lots of multiple marriages).
  35. Yeah, I'd guess (if it hasn't already collapsed) still MO only distribution?

Always reminds me of (the late, great) Huber's AUGSBURGER[​IMG]

A while back (2009, to be exact- damn, time sure flies when you're wasting it on the 'net), he was advertising for a contract brewer on Pro-Brewer.

I am seeking bids to contract brew my Classic American Pilsner, 250 bbls at a time.

Thank you,
    Ray Hill

Maybe the InBev suits gave him the boot?
  36. Looks like he's moved the contract to, first, The Lion (Wilkes-Barre, PA) and then to Weston Brewing Co. (O'Malley's) of Weston, MO. Never heard of the latter.
  37. Hopscotch

Hopscotch Initiate (0) May 15, 2012

I have been stunned at how well this beer has taken off. I see it EVERYWHERE, from neon pub signs, to recycle bins, and in the hands of people propping up the bars all across NYC and Long Island. Perhaps Big Beer really does need to create more retarded beers, and that perhaps they've just been missing the mark all along.
  38. John_M

I think the obvious question is this. Assuming BL platinum continues to sell well, at some point will AB start making a "non light" version of the platinum? :)
  39. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'm betting on "ultra-platinum".

40. You could have just stopped there - since it applies to all beer makers - even craft :-o
    cavedave likes this.