1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anheuser-Busch Expands Production of Bud Light Platinum

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by johnmichaelsen, May 11, 2012.

1. Tballz420

Tballz420 Member

Between the comments on my blog and youtube channel, I can tell you that there are numerous people out there who think it is the best beer they've had.

I personally think it tastes like a light version of malt liquor
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Coming from most other BMC offerings it may very well be the best beer they've had.
  3. Tballz420

Tballz420 Member

Yeah I can tell that they are not craft beer drinkers.

I should also add that bud light plat is by far my most read review, so the release has definitely created a buzz out there. How long it will last I dont know, but people are buying the stuff
  4. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure there are consumers out there who feel, quite sincerely, that Cave Creek Chili beer is the best beer they've ever tasted. At least in my book, that in no way detracts from the general consensus opinion that the beer sucks eggs. I think the same can safely be said of BL platinum.
  5. KentT

KentT Member

What is bloody sad is there is better ways to get bombed at 6.0% alcohol, it's called Olde English 800. Which actually tastes better than any Buttwiper Light Platinum and gets ya drunk faster. And cheaper too. OE 800 is much better swill and don't lie about it. I love my better beers though. But when the pocketbook is low, I love my OE 800.
  6. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Member

I was at my local bottle shop while there was a Bud girl handing out free samples of Platinum. It did not even taste like beer!
  7. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

More Bud Light Platinum... yay....
  8. hhkal17

hhkal17 Member

Hey now, look on the bright side...

ABInBev has improved on Bud Light! Monumental achievement! ;)

Bud Light - 49 BA score, Bud Light Platinum - 56 BA score! :eek:

I for one am excited about the prospects of Bud Light Platinum... Elite! I was gonna go Ultra Platinum there but then realized that they already use "Ultra" for Michelob.
  9. johnmichaelsen

Yeah, ultra platinum is probably out, but there's no reason they can't call a "non-lite" version double platinum, silver platinum, platinum gold, etc.

Swill, by any other name....
  10. draheim

draheim Member

Finally a BA who uses the word "pallet" correctly.
    fields336, yamar68 and AnchorBaby like this.
  11. AnchorBaby

AnchorBaby Member

It makes his post more palatable.
  12. yamar68

yamar68 Member

Clearly his palette of vocabulary is quite varied.
  13. Drewskis

Drewskis Member

Tried it once, won't happen again.
  14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

I agree with your point but GM is a bad example to use for overlap purposes. It worked for over 100 years, in the case of Oldsmobile and 80 years in the case of Pontiac. Those car brands went south due to increased competition and GM's seeming ignorance of that competition. In the case of A-B, it seems that they are convinced their customers have brand loyalty but are just looking for something a little bit different or that is marketed with a catchy slogan or image. They're idiots if they don't believe at least some of their customers are looking for something a little bit better, just as GM didn't recognize that their customers could and did look elsewhere.
  15. JimmyW

JimmyW Member

Bud Light Platinum will be the base for..........wait for it..........

....Bud Light Platinum Light

(roaring applause from the peanut gallery)
  16. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Craft brewers are heavily into all of the "4P's" you listed - small brewers most likely spend more time on those than on actually manufacturing beer.

And to give some examples on the bolded statements - collaborations, limted quantity one-off's/seasonal/specials, bbl aging, etc. are all craft beer concepts where the concept is more important than the actual results. One only needs to see the slobbering beer geek responses to press releases about special one offs with weird ingredients, some specific brand of booze, or unique techniques without even tasting the beer to see that the marketing concepts of high end craft beer is more important than its results. Hell, White Birch is a huge example of the quality of the beer not mattering as much as marketing when it comes to beer sales - because they would have been dead in the water years ago based on the quality of the product at the time.

I think you two - like many beer geeks - confuse the term marketing and advertising. Advertising is but one element of marketing. Marketing is all the things you have to do to bring your product to market - which all craft brewers (and maker of any product) do at the heart of their business.
  17. johnmichaelsen

LOL! Now that's funny.

Based on previous posts, I was pretty certain you'd say something along those lines, unless I actually posted the definition. I see that still didn't deter you. :)

We can agree to disagree on this, but no, I didn't confuse the term advertising with marketing. I simply used that as an example of how AB's marketing stratedgy, in that one area, differs from what one typically sees in a small craft brewery. I also acknowledged that craft breweries tend to employ a lot of the same marketing stratedgies that you see in a company the size of AB, but that given their limited size and consequent product exposure, there are clearly going to be some pretty signficant differences as well.

Small craft breweries and larger ones such as AB do indeed both employ the 4p's, and I never said otherwise. The difference is in how they employ the 4p's, in terms of time, money, energy and product. In the latter regard, there really is no comparison between a company like AB and a small craft brewery such as Burley Oak (which was the point I was making). In that regard, I stand by the original analogy I made in my previous post/response.