1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anheuser-Busch InBev could control over half of the US beer market soon

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jul 3, 2012.

1. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Sorry, not gonna happen. Been my go-to local for longer than most BA members have been drinking beer. I see it as my money is going to the local brewery to continue providing me with good, fresh beer -- at least until that beer is no longer good.

dennis3951 likes this.
  2. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I agree. However, if that is all our elected officials can do, we should encourage them to do so.

3. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

That's your right, do what you want.

4. I wish I was still young and optimistic. You hit the nail on the head.

5. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Gee -- thanks. I needed some validation today. ;)

6. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Anytime bud ;)

7. I agree. I try very hard to avoid the AB/Miller/Coors big brewers. AB owns Goose Island and Coors owns Blue Moon, correct?

8. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

And hopefully there will be just as many that do not feel this way. Fuck ABI ad the Craft Brew Alliance...

9. Yes.

10. The funny thing is most people that are on this site do not drink any of the 53% of the beer owned by InBev besides Goose Island.

11. I've been into craft beer for a couple of years now. Before that, I rarely drank unless I could get Newcastle or Guinness, because the BMC beers I remember were just for the chug-a-buzz. Nothing more. When I go out with my gal, it's either a brewpub that offer a wide selection or one that brews its own. When I go to a chain like Buffalo Wild Wings, I fall back to my gateway beers because the BMC beers lack flavor.
    I think why everyone is so upset, is that GI was one of ours, and there is always uncertainty whenever a business is bought out. I hope they know they have a good thing and will leave it be. I, meanwhile, will be trying a few more GI beers; seeking out Christmas Ale and BCBS with a little more urgency, before the AB/InBev tentacles get too tight. After that, it's wait and see.

12. theecaleb

theecaleb Aficionado (160) Alaska Jul 15, 2009

This a shame. They own all that, and their beers are still awful.

13. If the beer is good, I couldn't give a damn who owns the company that's brewing it.