1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anheuser-Busch, MillerCoors Post Beer Ingredients

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by muck1979, Jun 13, 2014.

1. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

If I interpret that correctly, there's less hops in bud light than yeast.

2. That blog was discussed before in another thread. It's disappointing that misinformation can so easily drive behavior these days...but I guess it always has.

"Propylene glycol is an ingredient in antifreeze!"

Yeah, and water is used in both beer and antifreeze too, so there ya go.

3. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'm not sure if the "Food Babe" is a raving idiot or a brilliant self-publiscist.

4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

"Hari said she is working with the company to figure out a time to visit."

They have tours daily. They show the ingredients. Does she want something freaking special?

5. JDV

JDV Advocate (570) Texas Nov 24, 2007

I <3 rice

nicholas2121 and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  6. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

I say people should make their own decisions about what they're comfortable ingesting. But in order for that to happen we need transparency...people need to have information to make a sound decision. The FDA calls propylene glycol “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. Which is also the exact same thing they say about MSG. And most people avoid MSG given all the studies about adverse effects.
    Anyway, I think it makes sense to list ingredients in beer and let people decide what they want.
    So for those who may know more than me about actually brewing beer...why would things like MSG and propylene glycol even end up in beer? What purpose is served. I get the Isinglass...that's been discussed before and it gets filtered out.

HoppyBastard likes this.
  7. jRocco2021 likes this.
  8. rlcoffey

That wouldnt be a surprise, depending on how you measure the yeast. Just thinking on the homebrew scale, the slurry of yeast well outweighs the hops, even for a hoppy IPA. And when you consider a lager needs way more yeast.... But that is including the liquid, if you dried the yeast out, that isnt the case. But lets use homebrew scales again, if you used 22g of dry yeast (two packets) for a lager, that is about 3/4 of an ounce. I can see a homebrewed Bud Light clone using less hops than that.

9. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Yeah, I was referring to the dry mass of the yeast itself, not the water that suspends it.

10. mynie

mynie Advocate (695) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

Maybe I missed something... is this just about people freaking out about GMO corn syrup?

11. Both

12. Jeffries55

Jeffries55 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 5, 2013

AB-In bev posts ingredients online, "world is shocked" by what's in their beer!

I didn't see that ingredient list coming.. where is the dead cat & fried dog turds?

Theniz likes this.
  13. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

Don't give Sam Calagione any more ideas! :)

tarawho, Theniz, JCicero08 and 7 others like this.
  14. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

I'm not concerned that there is anything nefarious in these beers. But I do think I have a right to know what is in a product I'm going to ingest.

malvrich, Providence, Scrapss and 3 others like this.
  15. https://www.facebook.com/MillerCoors

Their facebook with the list, should anyone care. People are wondering why it says corn is used, but the foodbabe girl was earlier told corn syrup..... and now people are freaking out. Sigh...

16. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

17. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

9th paragraph down- she chose to start the petition because her husband drinks beer and she want's to know what she is buying. I sorta feel sorry for the poor guy.

18. rlcoffey

I dont ingest Bud or Miller products (with a few exceptions), so this doesnt help any. And "right"? Dont buy it if you arent happy with what is or isnt listed.

5thOhio likes this.
  19. That's why I'm a Reinheitsgebot kinda guy. Water, malt, yeast, hops. What more do you need?

20. mikeg67

mikeg67 Savant (390) New Jersey Nov 12, 2010

I say who cares, who drinks BMC anyway?

WckdVbz likes this.
  21. rlcoffey

Sugar, fruit and spices. Not a Belgian beer drinker, I guess?

22. charlzm

charlzm Champion (770) California Sep 3, 2007

Loganyoung likes this.
  23. charlzm

The second.

24. http://www.tapintoyourbeer.com/

25. charlzm

Thanks for the link. Still doesn't list all the ingredients, so I don't think this is what the "Food Babe" was referencing.

26. AB's statement explains that (note- underlined section):

27. Because she has sent her 'army' after Sam Adams and they are all posting all over the SA Facebook page asking for them to list their ingredients.....but Sam Adams has listed their ingredients for years and when you point that out to them, they say there are hidden ingredients that are not listed.

After Sam Adams, they will keep going after other breweries until stopped.

russpowell likes this.
  28. I don't see why propylene glycol would need to be used in beer at all. I am not an expert by any stretch of the means, but I can't see why you would want to add this to your beer.
    Plus, if you buy any flavored coffee from the grocery store, it's flavored with proylene glycol.

29. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

A couple of weeks ago, one poster made a comment about how "this is why hardly any women engage on the site". So, my comment to that poster is "control your gender!!!".

Just kidding. ;)

This type of thing is just typical of the few trying to force their will on the many.... for no reason other than to be a pest.

30. adam42381

adam42381 Advocate (535) Florida Oct 10, 2005

I guess you don't like a lot of the beers you reviewed, huh? Reinheitsgebot only allows for water, barley and hops. There go your wheat and rye beers right there.

31. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

The FDA is a corporate puppet .. those idiots. There is more shit on the shelves in the this country that are insanely bad for you but the "FDA" gives it a thumbs up when they get the cash. Artificial shit and preservatives along with sulfites/nitrates/colors and everything else that will kill you is OK with those clowns. They are a wonderful bunch of people.

32. Have you read MECHANISM OF BEER FOAM STABILIZATION BY PROPYLENE GLYCOL ALGINATE published in The Journal of the Institute of Brewing? :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    bozodogbreath, cavedave and jhartley like this.
  33. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Corn, water, yeast, propylene glycol...

NJM likes this.
  34. No surprise that BMC has Water, barley malt, (adjunct grain:rice and/or corn), yeast and hops listed as ingredients. however, am wondering about what they use as a clarifying agent. Would that be considered an ingredient? at the molecular level, well yes, but if the agent is part of the process of post-fermentation process before bottling, then I doubt that they (or other brewers) would list that agent. e.g. when making chicken stock, ingredients are water, chicken, vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper. but i use egg whites and egg shells in the finished product and strain out the solids. if someone asked me if eggs were an ingredient, i'd say no, but....

35. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

On this forum, not many (at least regularly) but in the general population? It's 85+ percent of the 'beer' sold, so I would say... quite a lot of people drink it.

As far as the topic at hand goes, just looking at what the name of some of the ingredients or chemicals used could give one a moment of pause, but if this blogger would just do some research about the "scary" things used, they aren't what she thinks they are, and they generally don't make it into the finished product anyways...

russpowell likes this.
  36. LambicPentameter likes this.
  37. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

A gem from the comments talking about the rice in bud
    Person A "Second , the Mississippi delta just south of St. Louis is a huge producer of rice — kinda like Asia. Why not use that locally grown grain? You'd be in favor of it if this was some small craft brewer. You'd probably pay 12 bucks a six pck for the same exact beer if it was marketed that way."

Person B response to A "Ton of assumptions there, fuckwit. First off, I generally don't buy craft beers — I go for mass-market stuff, just decent-quality mid-range stuff like Sam Adams or Magic Hat, or Dogfish if I'm feelin' all fancified. So...fuck you?"

Anhyzer, DagenhamDavis and rather like this.