1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anheuser-Busch Sales Drop

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by dumpman, Nov 1, 2012.

1. dumpman

dumpman Member

2. Icarus

Icarus Member

Found that amusing,let's see how much more of a crappy product we can put out while the sheep keep buying it.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Member

Hard to get to the top of the heap, even harder to stay there. They all know this lesson but somehow never learn it.
  4. seplo

seplo Member

Its good news for the craft beer world, shows that the ppl in general are getting more familiar with craft and they like it, hopefully BMC drinkers will see the difference in the beer and God willing try something different...CHEERS

Not to mention that craft beer sales are constantly on the rise:D
    SatlyMalty and smutty33 like this.
  5. nhindian

nhindian Member

I'm sure there is a large group of people who buy BMC that don't do it for the flavor.
  6. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Member

Unfortunately, as long as college kids exist, this company will never completely fail.
  7. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

Not all the products they produce stink, some are nice. In a whole do they hurt the craft cultural-yes. But they also help. If a larger brewer like this was not in place the the options of beer to pick was just from a local community or not from BMC I have a feeling the cost of craft would rise-just because it could and not because of quality all the time. And when/if that ever happen another larger company will come along and do the same that InBev has done; its just a matter of time. IMO......
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

Yeah - what a bunch of dumbasses only making $1.82 billion in profits.
    mikeburd1128 and cavedave like this.
  9. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Member

If you read the original article that the MSN article links to you'll see one of the the hugest pieces of bullshit ever to come from these guys. They really do think that we're either stupid or can't taste the difference whenever they cut costs and put out shittier product. In a section about declining sales of Becks and Bass in the US after moving production here and using cheaper ingredients:

AB InBev doesn’t see what the fuss is about. Chibe says the company hasn’t altered the ingredients of either beer. So why are customers rebelling? “You know, it could be that they are getting fresher beer, and they’re getting used to that,” he offers. “We are very, very disciplined as brewers. We’re committed to quality.”

Really? The problem with your flagging sales is that your product is so fresh we can't handle it? Sorry but no, fuck you guys.
    seplo and smutty33 like this.
  10. nicnut45

nicnut45 Member

Wont be long before they start using politics and lobbyists to try and crush the little guys.
    Heidelberg7 likes this.
  11. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Member

Just wait til they buy the beverage unit of Pepsico.
  12. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

How do you make a light cola with no taste and make a profit? Oh wait its called bottled water. :p
    seplo likes this.
  13. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Member

oh jesus fucking christ.... we only profited 1.82 billion last year. lets turn into cheap asses and cut corners to make our beer even shittier and lay off workers. 1.82 billions dollars a quarter os more than those 1400 laid off workers will make in their life x 20. fucking corporate america is disgusting
  14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

They probably have already, knowing their tactics.
  15. familydog

familydog Member

Yes, they have. They were instrumental in crafting the modern three-tier system of distribution. This in order to crush local breweries who were overtaking them in sales prior to prohibition. They have a whole history of using government as a club against microbreweries.
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  16. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

LOL you two are funny if you think this does not already happen, why do you think the three tier system has really had now change in decades....
  17. nicnut45

nicnut45 Member

I always thought the three tier system has been in place since the end of prohibition. I dont think this was a recent invention of the beer giants. However, corruption always has been used by many a large corporation.
  18. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

You are right but they lobby to keep it in place which helps hurt craft...
  19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Cutting corners to increase profit? Sounds like a bad business model to me.
  20. boognish666

boognish666 Member

When you're selling water to people who are buying based only on advertisements it doesn't really matter. Water is water and sheep will always be sheep.
    JustinQ likes this.
  21. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

Why I disagree... Cutting corners is something every company does-its just a matter of what corners they cut. People all have different taste and those with some different than yours does not make them subhuman.
    nicnut45 likes this.
  22. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Member

Along with Wall Street and anyone that invests in this company.
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  23. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

LOL which we are all products off... Its so funny to hear people complain about "corporate america" when we all depend on "it" the business, tax, services, product / market channels government etc... we are all part of this. We shop at stores for our goods and use utility and public services. All of us buy items based on cost-in some factor. Unless you live on a 100% self sustaining farm shutup. Dont hate corporate america-because its you.
    FATC1TY and nicnut45 like this.
  24. cavedave

cavedave Member

Haha, when you hear people complaining about evil capitalists it is because in their minds they imagine that it is the first step to a lifestyle "off the grid", as well as absolving them of the responsibility of being part of the "problem" that clear thinking about things would make obvious they are. BMC are just the low hanging fruits for these arm chair revolutionaries.

I am someone who actually has lived "off the grid" and this is my take - thank you American capitalism for making my life so easy to enjoy.
    maltmuncher likes this.
  25. cevafm

cevafm Member

Right now I am selling cased of Beck's for cheaper then Bud Light. And Becks sales are still falling at my store. That is how bad it is.

I can only hope that someday A-B sells all of it's brands that I still have a little bit of respect for and still drink becuase they are good such as.

Alexander Keiths
    Boddingtons
    Bass
    Becks
    Bohemia
    Franziskaner
    Hoegaarden
    Leffe
    Lowenbrau
    Spaten

Imagine a company that owned just these brands, and had respect for them!!!
  26. Tomdee74

Tomdee74 Member

It's just a sign of the times and eventually all great empires fail.. Most people drink beer just to get a buzz.. While us "beer geeks" appreciate more robust flavor, it is too much for the average joe who only has a beer once in a while to get a buzz and prefers something a little more on the watery side.. In my life I've seen so many businesses fail and the next flourishes selling the exact same product.. I think of nobody beats the wiz changing to circuit city then changing to pc Richards and sons.. Or Kentucky fried chicken changing their name to KFC.. You get the point... Products and ingredients don't have to change sometimes just change the label and the name and its good enough.. When Budweiser changes things it works as you see they do bud platinum, select, ice, etc.. Nobody can tell a difference it's just effective marketing.. I think buds best chance is to change their name, label, etc.. Get rid of the Clydesdale horses and all that corny stuff and modernize! I really think we will see this change someday.. Most people like the watered down alcohol offered by Budweiser and will prob be fine switching to worse ingredients as long as they get a buzz.. People drink bud to get drunk not because of taste..
  27. drtth

drtth Member

Wait... You mean there are advantages to electrification, flush toilets, painless dentistry, and canned beer????
    cavedave and maltmuncher like this.
  28. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

LOLOL this thread would be much better with the sounds of dueling banjos playing in the background...
  29. drtth

drtth Member

Here, let this take its place....

Or there's this (again, not dueling banjos, but...):

30. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

Sure go classy, artistic and skillful instead of scary took the left in fork at the road with moonshine odors in the air...
  31. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Member

Yes, because I've never seen anyone over the age of 25 drink anything from BMC :rolleyes: