1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anheuser Busch want out of the movie "flight"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by CASK1, Nov 6, 2012.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

2. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Yeah. They say they don't condone it, but most people who drink beer to abuse alcohol drink Bud Light.
    DonDirkA and bifrost17 like this.
  3. Well boo-hoo to AB. This is one case where being the biggest gets you something you didn't ask for or seek out. What a bunch of hypocrites. Hell, they market to new drinkers all the time, they encourage people to grab some Buds, and IMHO the only reason they have a "drink responsibility" tag is either to satisfy public opinion or because they have to by law.
    papat444 and Etan like this.
  4. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

I got elbowed by the wife like 5 times in just the opening scene. ;)

oops, gotta keep it on beer topic. Uh, there's some Corona in the scene I think.
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  5. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

As someone who flys 40 or so round trips a year for work, this is one movie I dont want to see. I dont care if he is drinking Darklord and BCBS.....
    DanE likes this.
  6. Ha ha ha .. That's funny ! All you ever hear is drink "Bud" drink Bud !!! Do they really think no one is going to get Drunk or drink and drive ..? They are just making a fuss to get more free advertising $$$$ ..
  7. Isn't this movie already out? Too late AB.
  8. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Theres no way AB did not approve the Use of their Products in the movie. When movies decide to use a certain product they either have to pay to use the product or the company pays the movie. The one thing we talk about in our Beverage Marketing class is how companies try and sell for use of smart and responsible consumption. A company would never want to put their products on a movie like this when there are people drinking and driving or abusing alcohol. We see both on this film. And I saw the movie, there was more than 2-3 AB products being used through out the whole movie and the product placement seemed to be placed there on purpose... Look at beer or any other alcohol commercials, you will never see a person drinking them in commercials, it may come close to their lips but they will never consume in the commercials.

Maybe these companies thought bad publication is better than no publication. Like Smirnoff, you see him throwing down 3 Smirnoff's in a drink before take off... A movie company could lose a lot in a suit where a company is trying to promote responsibility to its customers. This was a subject I was going to bring on in class on Monday and will definitely be asking questions to see what my professor thinks. I do believe she carries some of the Wine Products used in the scene in her portfolio.
  9. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

I saw it today. I couldn't tell if it made me feel like a total alcoholic or the exact opposite. Though they did have this line where someone in an AA meeting said "I would lie and say I only had a few". They made a few drinks seems like you needed help. But that was because the guy was such a drunk, he couldn't afford a few drinks.

Good movie however.
  10. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I dont think they should have their beer in the movie if they didn't sign off on it; It pretty much defamation.
  11. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Read the synopsis on IMDB, sounds like a terrible movie...based on the article, sounds like the brands "complaining" about their product being used in the movie are shit out of luck.
  12. pixieskid

Based on that article, it sounds as if your first two sentences are incorrect. Had I not read the article, I would have said the same thing...
  13. pixieskid

I'd think you'd go for something a bit stronger than Bud Light if you were in it solely to get drunk.
  14. Azzy

Theres no way AB is not going to benifit somehow when they had atleast 4 products used in the movie...

Maybe Denzel Washington makes it be cool.. But like I said, the ones with most to lose would be Budweiser and Smirnoff Brands. He drinks Smirnoff while flying the plane and drinks Budweiser while driving drunk..
  15. Daemose

You've never been around frat boys and their bitches then, I'm guessing.
    FUNKPhD and gtermi like this.
  16. pixieskid

Fair enough, I was relating it more to the movie with the pilot clearly being a full blown alcoholic...
  17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Dear god I am ready to be out of college because I hear about how great this "beer" is weekly.
    Daemose likes this.
  18. If two courts have already sided with filmmakers in cases like this (according to the article they have), I'm guessing with the legal resources AB and Smirnoff have, they're well aware and are filing the complaints just to say they did.

Then if anyone complains about them allowing their products to be used to glorify alcohol abuse (and someone will) they can say they tried to fight it, but the judge ruled against them
    udubdawg likes this.
  19. Unless you have some real data to back that up then you have made one hell of a sweeping generalization.
    TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  20. Daemose

I have eyes and visit places beer is sold along with food often. Hell, the alt rock station here in Houston broadcasts from Bud Light Studios, and they have huge festivals with bud light in the name. I see blue bud light cans all over the ground wherever I see litter. Any of my friends who doesn't drink craft usually.drinks bud light. My younger relatives when I first turned twenty one constantly wanted cases of bud light which I refused to buy.

That enough for you?
  21. Putting up with Bud Light is a small price to pay to be surrounded by hot, available young tail in the college realm, oh how I miss it. . .

The 'real world' is full of a lot of fat, ugly, grumpy females talking about chardonnay.
    bentonquest, franklinn and Daemose like this.
  22. To be fair, you didn't mention anything about abusing alcohol in those examples.
    TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  23. ouits

ouits Aficionado (160) Ohio Jul 24, 2012

You're making generalizations, then backing it up with anecdotes. So no, it doesn't really make a convincing case.

I agree with the people saying ABI is doing this just to have their opposition documented. It sounds like there is nothing they can do about it, and I'm sure they know that. This smells like damage control.
  24. Daemose

Getting drunk isn't abusing?
  25. Not if it doesn't have any negative ramifications for you. Get drunk, act responsible = not abuse

I just don't see where you mentioned anything about people getting drunk or abusing alcohol in your comments about radio stations, food, relatives or litter.
  26. Daemose

Ok. Good point. I'm not going to argue. Here's everyone's King of Finding Flaws in Internet Arguments Crown.
  27. Relax bro, you sound flustered.
  28. Daemose

Groggy. Just woke up. Worked 5PM to 5AM. Need food.
  29. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

It seems idiotic on AB's part to mention it at all. Would anyone really blame them for how a fictional movie chooses to portray their product? If they kept their mouth shut the movie would come and go without any negative effect to them. By the way, has anyone seen it yet? It looks pretty good.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  30. Best argument I've seen so far. CYA so no one can bitch or if they do, there's a comeback.
  31. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

I agree with mschofield; this smacks of CYA. Now they can say they were against it.

for anyone that hasn't seen it, I would describe the movie as 3 minutes of awesome, 20 minutes of surprisingly well-done flight/crash, and then an almost 2-hour infomercial for AA. The strength of the subtext of religious symbolism got a bit tiresome. John Goodman and the cancer patient were the best parts of a decent script IMO, although the cliches were pretty thick throughout the movie.
    I rolled my eyes when "Under The Bridge" played during a heroin sequence and when "Sympathy for the Devil" played as Goodman comes in, but did laugh and kinda hum along "...I get high with a little help from my friends" when playing in the elevator.

there is an extended scene where the main character is getting rid of all of his alcohol. He then is stunned by some news that he might be in deep shit, and you see him revert to alcohol. Showing him purchasing some Bud to me was sort of an easy way to show he was back to his old habits - for much of the country Budweiser is practically synonymous with "beer" (on a side note, the other major falling off the wagon scene was much funnier; weird as one would think it was actually a great sadness. Whatever.)

I'm a bit demented, but I hoped the movie would end with basically a reboot of the opening scene; business as usual. I left disappointed. I went home and had a beer.

cheers--
    --Michael

*edit* I apologize if anything thinks I've given too many specifics/spoilers. I decided that the theme of pilot-with-a-problem was pretty universally understood by anyone who has seen a trailer...
  32. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Maybe it doesn't look that good after all.
  33. Azzy

It was a good movie, but like udub stated, a large portion, mostly all the movie was with Denzel's character struggling with alcohol. Don't go see it with the gf/wife or you may be headed to AA lol
  34. So the article essentially says that film makers and can branded products without permission. Can someone then explain to me why reality shows often blur out the names of products used by people on the show? You'll notice that clothing with logos or food/beverage often has black tape over it to hide the brand.
  35. Azzy

They don't show them because then either the brand wants money for their products being used or the show will want money for marketing.
  36. But the article says that the brand can't demand money. So the show is just wasting time and effort to cover things up, when it is unecessary.
  37. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Many alcoholics cannot drink hard liquor because it makes them sick, and alcoholics generally aren't going to spend $20 on a couple 6-packs of craft when they can spend $20 on a 24-pack of Bud.
  38. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

The thousands of half pints of vodka I used to sell when I worked at a liquor store disapprove of this message.^^
  39. No. The radio station example doesn't work because that is just advertising. Just because a beer advertises more than a different type of beer or other alcohol doesn't make it the choice beverage of alcoholics. I guess all alcoholics are litterers too, at least by your logic. I see Bush Lite cans whenever I see litter so I guess the alcoholics around me aren't as classy as yours. If a majority of people are drinking BMC, in this case Bud Light, it's more likely that you will see Bud Light cans laying around... Because more of those specific cans are being consumed. Please give me something substantial and not purely anecdotal and maybe we can talk.
  40. Statistically, alcoholics drink more Bud than any other brand of beer., since that is the brand of beer that sells the most.

Unless InBev is willing to stand behind any study that proves alcoholics prefer one brand of beer to another.

If anyone has any hard proof that, all things being equal, alcoholics prefer one brand of beer over another, I'd love to see it.