1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anniversary Party on April 28th/Release of Double Huma whos going?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by GoldenChild, Mar 5, 2012.

?

Whos going?

1. I will be there.

17 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. I won't be there.

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. I might be there.

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I wish I could be there.

27 vote(s)
    32.1%
  5. I hate everyone that will be there.

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

try Cedars Resort in Central Lake.... This is a shameless plug for my parents log cabin resort :D . I know they closed this year for the winter so I am unsure if they are open by then.

Otherwise I have stayed at the B&B in Bellaire with my wife and we enjoyed it, plus they are mug club members so you get to use those.
  2. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

If anyone stays in the Traverse City area the night before, I'd be in for some pre-gaming at 7 Monks, RBB, or somewhere else.
  3. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Some friends and I are planning a trip up. Going to stay the night, should be a awesome time.
    GoldenChild likes this.
  4. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

I will be there certainly. Last year was a blast, this year...might kill me. Certainly folks from Pennsylvania don't hold my liver in nearly as high esteem as I do.
    trginter likes this.
  5. My wife and I are making our 5th trek up to Bellaire for the anniversary party! Its fun every year and it does seem to get a little more crowded every year but I'm not sure if the bottle release will really make it that much worse. Either way we plan on getting there when they open and leaving when Reggie is done.

I am also not doing the paddle this year. More time for drinking without strenuous activity.
  6. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (290) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

My wife and I are making the trip also (the first time for the Anniv party). They open at 11am, but the party doesn't start until 3pm. Has 3pm been too late to get a seat, or is it just better to be there 11 or 12?
  7. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

The pub probably won't be open that day until the start of the party at 3.

Also, can we have t-shirts made up that say "Duck Farklord Day" ?
    GoldenChild likes this.
  8. wintbs379

Gotcha, that does make perfect sense.....the pub opening time and the t-shirts.
  9. trginter

Hopefully getting a case of this will be easier than getting a case of KBS.
    GoldenChild likes this.
  10. normyk

normyk Savant (260) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

If I can't make DLD I'd really like to make my first trip to Shorts. I've really wanted the opportunity to try their beers on tap and their party is a great chance to do so. Probably a lot less of a zoo than DLD, too, though it is a longer drive.
  11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I like the tshirt idea.
  12. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

It's a pretty drive though. Instead of rolling through industrial bullshit you roll through the southern reaches of the great boreal forest. M-22 has got to be one of the pretty roads in the Great Lakes.
    paslaugh likes this.
  13. wintbs379

It really is a sweet idea...
  14. In 2008 we did both Darklord Day and Shorts in the same day. It was fun but not something I would ever do again. With the way Darklord Day has been handled since then, I would definitely say Duck Farklord Day.
  15. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. Getting some will probably be easier, but I am thinking they wont let people buy a whole case. I guess we will see.
  16. trginter

I haven't tried it, but quite honestly I will give Short's any amount of money they want when they release a new IPA.
  17. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (330) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

I've never seen them limit any of their beer.
  18. decadance

It has also been a while since they have done a release that was going to be a big deal. The 750 series came out in 2007 I think.
  19. sarcastro

The don't do growlers on limited beers. When is the last time they had a bottle release of a very limited beer at a anniversary party. Not for a while. Not since their anniversary parties have gotten really popular. My feeling is they will limit it somewhat at the party to make sure everyone gets some. That is what I would do.
  20. steebo777

The first rule of Awww Jeah is we don't hype it up.

The second rule of Awww Jeah is WE DON'T HYPE IT UP.

I can't handle another KBS day this soon. :)

2009 and 2010 they released the Double Dry Hopped aged in bourbon barrels anniversary bottles. Damn fine but weird beer. I would say that is the last time.
    decadance and adamdd like this.
  21. sarcastro

When people start threads on a release this far in advance such as this one, I don't think you can stop it at that point. You can't diffuse a bomb after it has gone off.
    GoldenChild likes this.
  22. trginter

Everyone just forget about it for two weeks or so.
  23. wintbs379

Forget about what?
  24. GoldenChild

Yeah i just had this debate a few weeks back about limited release growler fills and i have never once been turned down on a growler fill and i frequent the pub several times a month. The last growler fills i had were Bourbon wizard.
  25. GoldenChild

Bring on the Hype!
  26. GoldenChild

Sean is saying "300 cases have been produced. We are discussing a limit on amount of cases that can be bought. The number floating around is 3"

So it looks like we will be able to get around 3 cases. He also said that that number depends on how many people show up. I wouldnt think that most people are going to buy 3 cases.
  27. decadance

Yeah, I know I certainly wouldn't, one would likely be my max (and I am bringing my wife and it will be one between us).
  28. steebo777

Same here. 1 is more than fine for me. They should learn from KBS Day and do 1 for each person.
  29. It's still being discussed, but we'll probably just wait until the morning of the event and make a final decision then. As stated before, it all depends on the amount of people that show up.
  30. jale

jale Savant (465) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

I'm leaning towards this over DLD. We could have a tasting friday night someplace close. Who's up for it?
  31. trginter

Definitely down for this
  32. jale

jale Savant (465) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

If enough of us arrive early friday night, I will rent a big van and we could hit Right Brain and Jolly Pumpkin in Traverse. Road trip anyone? You better come norm! You can ride up with me.
  33. decadance

I won't be coming up likely till Sat. Morning, because I am certain we are doing a kalamazoo tasting friday.
  34. We are leaving Thursday morning but its over 10 hours from Pgh and we always stop in Detroit. We will be in late on Thursday and would be up for a tasting on Friday.
  35. hoppymeal

hoppymeal Savant (445) Michigan Jun 25, 2005

I'd be up for bringing some stuff for a friday bottle share for sure.
  36. northernbrews

northernbrews Savant (355) Michigan Apr 12, 2006

Let me check w/ my mom to see what her plans are that weekend. If she's not going up we can definitely do a bottle share at her place (for those who haven't been she's got a nice cottage on Intermediate Lake about 5 minutes from Shorts). If she is going up we can still likely have a tasting there on Fri but it will take a little more work.
  37. steebo777

I'm coming in to town Saturday morning. Already have our place booked (All Seasons) and am ready to rock!
    GoldenChild likes this.
  38. noborboxers

noborboxers Disciple (70) Michigan Feb 12, 2010

Does anyone have plans on doing the Shorts to Shorts the day before? Sorry for the pun, but I'm in the same boat, it seems alittle intense.
  39. I did most of it last year and if you are not an experienced paddler its a bit much. You can just do the first couple parts as there are drop out points along the way. It is a lot of fun if you are into kayaking but its usually the first outing of the season and for me I was in no shape to be doing that much. If it was at the end of the summer after I had been paddling all season, it would have been a breeze.
  40. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

I'm in for sure. I'd host it at my house if wife wasn't going to be recovering from surgery. :/

Depending on how many people would be in for the tasting, my friend's office may be a suitable place, especially if we are going to Right Brain, Jolly Pumpkin, 7 Monks, or The Filling Station.