1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Announcing: The 2013 Night Shift Barrel Society

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Savant (470) New York Sep 4, 2006

I would of considered signing up for something like this a few years down the line, when NS have all their year-round recipes perfected & dialed in. While appreciated & interesting to compare, the constant recipe tweaks & fgs as documented on the labels/website make me feel that it's just too much of a gamble now. I have enjoyed some batches, while others have left a lot to be desired.

2. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (460) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

If anyone is on the fence do what I'm doing and go down tonight or whenever you get the chance and check out their Fallen Apple. Night Shift is releasing Fallen Apple (rum-barrel aged apple ale) and Idle Hands is releasing Charlton Rouge (Flanders Red aged 10 months in red wine barrels and bottle conditioned another 2 months, 192 bottle count) tonight. You can check out both in one easy trip, maybe even talk to the brewer's about their future plans.

3. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Fallen Apple sounds pretty good...

4. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

I have enjoyed the offerings that I have had by these guys. I find the beers to always be interesting and I really loved the Somer-Weiss that they have on the shelves. Still on the fence about going all in on this as I have never done a Barrel Society but I have been contemplating it. I will say I am definitely making it to the tasting room for the first time to try the Mainer-Weiss:

Mainer Weisse - Berliner Weisse style sour ale with cinnamon and lemongrass, aged on wild Maine blueberries. Follow up to Ever Weisse, the next brewery-only beer. Super purple-blue color. Debuting at Fall to Winter Fest

tehzachatak and masterob8 like this.
  5. Yeah, really can't wait for this one. Just hope they didn't go overboard on the lemongrass.

6. Patrick

Anyone try Fallen Apple yet? I assume it is something like $16 at the brewery, and it sounds like a nice Thanksgiving beer. Curious how it is.

7. i believe it was $13 - i was there on Saturday...snagged the final bottle of Ever Weisse, despite promising myself i wouldn't buy any more beer... it was the last one!

had it for a taster at the brewery.. it was pretty good. a lot of apple juice, not so much spice (which was actually pretty nice, i think too much wouldn't have worked well). barrel character was there.

can't compare it to anything i've had before - definitely on the way to being a beer-cider hybrid, which changes its character quite a bit. probably would have bought a bottle if i hadn't spent like $100 on beer already that day.

8. I was actually there on Saturday as well. And also told myself I wouldn't buy more than 1 bottle (walked away with 2, and then 2 more from Idle hands).

I can vouch for Fallen Apple as well - both my wife and I enjoyed that one...great fall flavors in good balance and we both thought it would make a nice thanksgiving beer. I agree with tehzachatak regarding the apple juice notes and barrel character, but I did get some spice. If I had bought bought one more bottle, it would have been that one.

9. had a sample at the brewery off the bright tank while they were bottling and didnt care for it. had a sample from a bottle at a tasting saturday night and thought it was pretty good, seemed like a totally different beer

10. interesting. i know less than i'd like to know about brewing - BA beers get put back in the brite tank after spending time in the barrel?

11. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Gonna sit out the 2013 signup til the jury weighs in, you guys.

12. Patrick

I don't think the beer would be bottled from each individual barrel, plus its a blend of brandy and bourbon barrels, right?

13. ptrc

ptrc Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2011

Rum and brandy. Release date for Mainer Weisse was announced yesterday, if anyone won't be able to make the debut at fall to winter next weekend- 12/12/12 in Everett.

14. masterob8 likes this.
  15. Sweet! I'm actually looking forward to these now... Nice to see Night Shift paying attention to what beer geeks like...

masterob8 likes this.
  16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (960) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Let's support these Bowdoin guys.
    I'm in.

masterob8 likes this.
  17. Any thoughts/opinions on the 2013 offerings? Would you buy in again? Looking at 2014 upcoming sign ups.

18. Most people I've talked to have been underwhelmed by the releases (I haven't picked up or talked to anyone who has picked up Crusader yet.) The descriptions on the bottles have been so appealing, but in general the beer hasn't lived up to it. On that basis, I'd say I wouldn't ante up again (especially since this first membership was a gift). At this point, it will really depend on the forthcoming releases.

The caveats: A few were made with Brett, so it's possible they could get better/more interesting with time. All the beers have been unique at least, and that means there's always a chance to stumble on something incredible. The glasses and shirts were pretty nice. Extra beers have been available for purchase for all the releases. They haven't used bourbon barrels nor made most of the typical -bal styles, so I don't want to write off their barrel program entirely based on creative swings for the fences.

Again, it's going to depend a lot on the last 3 releases.

*Edit* I kinda like Paradiso (my review), but I expect most won't love it.

19. Couldn't have said it better myself. My membership was also a gift and I'm in the same boat with my decision to re-up.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  20. Destral

Destral Savant (365) Nevada Oct 20, 2009

Between Hoarders, Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve, El Catador, and Nightshift Futures...just take my money.

21. Last 3 seem pretty legit, so here's hoping. Maple syrup is a fickle beast though...
    • A Berliner Weisse aged in red wine barrels on blackcurrants & blackberries
    • The Barrel Society Community Beer - a sour red rye aged in wine barrels on on dark cherries
    • A barleywine fermented with maple syrup, aged in Jamaican rum barrels

sandman3479 likes this.

22. I'm in a similar boat here. I liked Jester much more than most people I've talked to, but conversely thought Paradiso was a total mess and pretty close to unfinishable. Thought Elixir was good but not at all exciting, and really sweet. Going to crack a Crusader tonight, and honestly, although I don't really like -bal IPAs, I have pretty high hopes for this one - their belgian doubles, which Crusader's based on, seem like they have a lot of potential for barrel aging - but I've never had a white wine barrel aged IPA, so who knows.

The extras were nice, and I look forward to the party at the end of the year too. Just to be clear - I'm not at all disappointed with my membership - it was not a gift for me, and I'm very happy I did it, if only to support the guys, who I like a lot. And it's been very cool to try all the beers, I love the glasses, etc. I just haven't yet been sold that the BEER is worth re-upping for, especially when the best 3 or 4 beers (at least) coming out of Night Shift have been easily and publicly available.

Agreed on this... But I think had I looked at the list of the first 4 in this format:

• A wheatwine with orange blossom honey aged in brandy barrels
    • A golden ale aged on pineapples and Brettanomyces aged in brandy and red wine barrels
    • A 100% Brettanomyces fermented beer brewed with grains of paradise aged in brandy barrels
    • A white wine-barrel aged Belgian double IPA with Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, and Centennial hops
    I would have felt the same way - those all sound great! (well, except the Brett one). That being said, the first three all at least touched brandy barrels, and I'm starting to think I'm just not a huge brandy barrel beer fan in most cases - it's a little rough of a barrel treatment, especially on Jester + Paradiso.

Talked to the guys yesterday and sounds like the "berliner" (same base as the other berliners, but they said its pretty beyond the point of what can be called a berliner now) is coming along reallllllly well. If anything, I'm thinking this will be amazing.

If I can make one comment to NS: ditch the "Community Beer". Focus on what you can brew well, and do it. It's a cool idea, but it's also gimmicky, and seems like all things being equal, it's probably going to produce a less excellent beer than your fine minds well. Maybe run a similar poll next year, see what the results are, and allow that to (only) steer you vaguely in the direction of something you're already interested in.

23. Are the more non-belgian styles (barley wine, etc.) being fermented with their house Belgian yeast like their other beers?

24. Crusader is excellent, and IMO, the best barrel society beer so far by a pretty decent margin.

25. Picked my Crusaders up tonight. Nose is great, taste is...okay.

The good news: I happened to be there when the brewers were tasting the society berliner weisse and barleywine. They were definitely not done/carbed, but... they were both awesome. Really looking forward to them both now.

26. Huh, I totally disagree on Crusader. I thought nose was very weak (EDIT: comparatively. I thought it was ok, but pretty mellow), taste was great. Disclaimer - I have only had a few -bal IPAs, and haven't liked them in the past - so my experience with the style is minimal.

good news on the barleywine and berliner :)

27. Couldn't agree more.

glad to see someone give a frank, honest, subjective opinion of a craft brewery that wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. This might just be speculation, but It seems like people are scared to say anything even remotely negative for fear of I don't know what. again, just my opinion, but I'm tired of what appears to be a common mindset - amongst bloggers mostly - that all craft beer is amazing.

messrock likes this.