1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Annual Barley Wine Tasting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by RyanCave, Sep 12, 2013.

1. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

Okay so my friends and I have been talking about this for a while and are putting this into action.

We want to put together an annual Barley Wine tasting where we all come together with the same vintage of different Barley Wines to compare. We plan on buying 10 each of different Barley Wines and bringing one out every year when we have our event to compare and take notes. So what I'm looking for are some resilient Barley Wines to pick up and suggest to my friends that can, under proper conditions, age well.

Any suggestions?
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Olde School by DFH.
    120 Minute by DFH. They call it an IPA but it's really a barleywine.
    Thomas Hardy's and J.W. Lee's Harvest, natch.

Beyond that I'm not sure how many you will really find that hold up over 10 years, and even these will likely have fallen off some by then. But I've only had a couple of barleywines that were 10+ years old, so your mileage may vary.
  3. Bigfoot and Bell's Third Coast Old Ale.
    Bigfoot should be readily available for you, though you might have to trade for Third Coast.

EDIT: North Coast Old Stock has good potential, though I've not had it any older than 4 years. Again, easily obtainable for you in OR. Same thing with HOTD Doggie Claws. Or Fred. Or Adam.
  4. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

If you can find some, Victory Old Horizontal. They stopped making it the past year or two, but they're putting it out again this year!
  5. Stone Old Guardian.
  6. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Definitely go for Bigfoot. Also Stone Old Guardian.

North Coast Old Stock was mentioned. Although a good candidate for aging, it is actually an Old Ale
  7. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

The recipe for North Coast Old Stock Ale is almost a clone for J.W. Lees Harvest ale, it deserves to be included.

I second all of the above mentions except Thomas Hardy's (I haven't had it) and Dogfish Head 120 (I hate it). I'm not sure how it ages, but Anchor Old Foghorn is another widely-available one which won't hurt the wallet too much. Plus, BARLEYWINE IN A SIX PACK.
  8. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

That's fine if you want to include it, but my point was its not a barley wine
  9. MoaS, Blighs
  10. DustinSWB

DustinSWB Savant (365) Florida May 4, 2013

I have had a 2 year old Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher and it tasted great. Not sure what would happen in 10 years
  11. if you can still find some Brooklyn Monster Ale, its great with 5 years on it
  12. RyanCave

thanks everyone!
  13. brandoman63

brandoman63 Advocate (515) Illinois Jul 19, 2005

Completely agree with the old horizontal suggestion. Just drank a 5 year old one last night and it was amazing.
  14. Well somebody has to throw in Old Ruffian, so it might as well be me. Also, if you can get your hands on Central Waters BBBW, you'll have tasting friends for life.
  15. RyanCave

Thanks everyone! this is all amazing advice! If any of you are ever in the Portland area You're more than welcome to this event :)
  16. Skull40

Skull40 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

Arctic Devil is one of the best barley wines I've had. I got one through a trade, but I've seen it available from internet beer sites before. I think it was letspour.com.
  17. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I guess there are a few different levels here. American or English? BA or non-BA?

Are you going to restrict them to local options only?

Blighs is available out there isnt it? Get that for sure.

Probably the best four pack I get every year is Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine.
  18. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

Troegs Flying Mouflan was the first one that came to mind for me.
  19. chuckv

chuckv Savant (300) Pennsylvania Apr 19, 2013

Killer penguin comes to mind for me