1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Annual Bluebonnet Thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by cfh64, Mar 19, 2012.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Figured it's that time of year again to start this thread. Anyone going? Bringing bottles? Staying at the hotel? yadda. yadda, yadda. Not to say I may not participate in the usual after party tastings but I was possibly thinking of doing a bottle share BEFORE the actual tasting when my buds aren't so tainted. Thoughts and/or interest?

I know this can be a little tricky depending on whether or not your going to listen to the guest speaker and/or what time you will be arriving that's why I'm just trying to gauge interest, if any.
  2. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

isn't it illegal to pick bluebonnets??
  3. cfh64

Actually, I believe that's just a myth. Yes, it's frowned upon but I don't believe it's illegal. Smartass!
  4. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Is there a website on this? I know its a homebrew deal but I dont know much of anything else other than I've always been interested in going.
  5. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (395) Texas Jul 14, 2005

http://www.bluebonnetbrewoff.com/
  6. cfh64

Yeah, Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear in my title. It's actually the bluebonnet brewoff. To sum it up, it's a homebrew competition usually held in Irving ever year. There is always a guest speaker on Friday evening, followed by a "commercial" tasting that last a couple of hours, then a homebrew tasting that goes until midnight.

The commercial tasting is made up of breweries and distributors mainly from TX. I don't recall ever seeing anything rare but it's a good chance to try some beers you may not have had in awhile. The homebrew portion usually consists of approx 8-10 homebrew teams from TX and OK. There are probably an average of 6-10 beers offered from each team. Some of the homebrews are so so and others are badass.

For people that stay at the hotel, there are usually little groups of people that meander/stumble off to someones hotel room for a bottle share when it's all over. On Saturday they have 2 different vans that drive people on "pub crawls" to either Dallas or Ft Worth. I'm not sure of pricing. I suck with computers but the webiste is bluebonnetbrewoff.com. Hopefully this link works http://www.bluebonnetbrewoff.com/
  7. Man I wish I would have know about this sooner. Looks like a cool event!
  8. mattisloco

Thanks for the info but is this open to "the public"? I'm not a homebrewer really, just starting, but I'd like to taste and see everything that's going on.
  9. cfh64

Yes, it's open to the public. I tried searching their website for more answers but it seems pretty vague. I'm not a homebrewer either but its a great time. The website said that a "limited number of tickets will still be available at the door at the day of the event". I did see that the room crawl is going until 2 am this year! Also noticed the tasting starts at 8 pm.

I'm sorry I don't have more answers for you, maybe someone else who knows more can chime in. I did find this link that was referred to for any questions [email protected]. His name is Fred David. Hopefully he can give you some more answers.
  10. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Show up Friday night early (like 6pm), register at the event and pay like $25 for a tasting cup, access to the commercial tasting and homebrew tasting. We go every year, always a good time.
  11. mattisloco

Thanks guys! Theres no way I could make it before 8pm Friday but I will make sure to attend next year for sure
  12. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

According to the Texas Dept of Public Safety: (since this is a falsehood someone points out to me EVERY year)

Each Texas springtime brings flowers to fields and roadsides and a question to the minds of nature lovers - is it really illegal to pick bluebonnets?

The answer is no - there is no law against picking our State Flower. However, there are laws against criminal trespass so make sure you're not on private property when you stop to take your annual kids-in-the-bluebonnets photo.

There are laws against damaging or destroying rights-of-way and government property - so pick a few flowers, but don't dig up clumps of them and don't drive your vehicle into the midst of them. Remember, Mother Nature and in many cases, your fellow Texans, scattered wildflower seeds along medians and roadways so that everyone could enjoy spring flowers.
  13. cfh64

Excellent info, that's pretty much exactly what I remember reading, thanks for looking it up. I chuckled to myself earlier today when I drove by a couple with their dog taking pictures in the bluebonnets off of a major road. Made me think of this post.
  14. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (325) Texas Oct 2, 2007

It's not like you are killing the state bird, just picking a few bluebonnets, enjoy.