Another Jack's Abby Question?! Yep, Private Rye...

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by sjverla, Feb 16, 2013.

1. So I'm sitting here enjoying my first Private Rye. I dig it. But I can't help but think that I'd enjoy it more in the summer, like when I want something crisp like an IPA but a little yeastier or something...Just not in the mood for an IPA...whatever.

Now I'm no fool, so being not terribly familiar with the Biere de Garde style, I looked into it. It says this style can be cellared, but at 6%, what do you think this would do in 5-6 months?

I'm not super-serious about drinking ultra-fresh IPAs, and the hop character in this isn't over the top - but I'm curious. Would this stand up and stay crisp in July when I'm sweating next to the grill or in the rehydrating after a bike ride? Or would it be enjoyable, if not a little disappointing?

MugOfGoodness likes this.
  2. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I'd go for it if you aren't bent on it being super hoppy (which it isn't anyway). I've found that many of JAs beers last quite some time. Jabby Brau is fantastic after many months. Not hoppy like when fresh, but a great lager nonetheless. I think Private Rye would also be a contender for something that would be great months down the road. Different, mind you, but great.

3. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

What he said. I had the luxury of trying this at the brewery, and I thought it was awesome. I think it wouldn't diminish the taste if you help onto it for a few months. 5-6 months may be a little to much, but if I were you, I'd have a few fresh, a few in 2-3 months and the remainder in 5-6. That way you can kind of compare the taste and how it has changed over the months. With that being said, Jack's Abby's beers age pretty gracefully.

4. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

I got paid for services rendered in Jack's Abby beer in March of last year. There was a case each of Smoke&Dagger and Jabby Brau. Then I opted to grab another case of Hoponious in April because how can one have too much beer, right? Somehow or another, one bottle of each got cellared in the shuffle downstairs. Smoke&Dagger was pretty awesome. Jabby wasn't shabby. Hoponious though... it tasted a bit like death to me.

5. HU totally falls off a cliff after a month IMO. Only tastes good fresh.