1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Another Sucks thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Jan 12, 2013.

1. But this one's different, of course. First, this year's Sucks is BETTER than last years'. Second, having heard conflicting stories of whether Lagunitas is going to make Sucks a year round or keep it as a seasonal, I started thinking. If it were year-round, it would definitely put a damper on my budget and my beer selection, i.e. I would not be buying many of my steady favorites and would buy lots of Sucks. And if it was available all the time, would I enjoy it as much? So I thought, why not bring it out as a seasonal twice a year? And I sent Lagunitas an email. Anybody else on this bandwagon? If so, email Lagunitas.
  2. Lagunitas' owner, Tony Magee (aka "Dogtown" here on BA), has confirmed it will be year-round in this post "...Sucks WILL become a year-round brew..." just waiting for the quart bottles to be manufactured.
    afrokaze likes this.
  3. It really SUCKS that they're removing the six pack format though.
  4. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

Sucks is my favorite American Strong Ale ;)
  5. Mine, too. Guess we both saw the same post in the last few days.
  6. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Why do they call it BShugga Substitute?
  7. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Once it is year round and in quarts I will buy a lot of it. Then I will bottle my homebrews in the quart bottles.
    jmich24 likes this.
  8. Bummed that they're going to bombers year round.
    At least you know it's fresh
    Originally brewed in 2011 as a Brown Shugga’ substitute, due to construction-induced capacity issues.

I would rather have the limited release of this, unless they start date stamping.
    At least now you know it's fresh.

When they go to year round bombers - unless you go to a store with very high shelf turn around - you'll be wondering how long that bomber has been there.
  9. So whats with the label?
    Did they squish Santa because its year round? :confused:
  10. I won't, because I will look for the date stamp on the bottle...
    bentwookie likes this.
  11. I don't think Laguanitas dates their bottles - unless I'm not seeing it
  12. They do, it is a julian date stamp on the neck of the bottle.
    skinsfan and nickapalooza86 like this.
  13. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

All their bottles are stamped with a Julian date code on the neck. It is kinda hard to see. The first 3 digits are the day of the year it was bottled. 354 is dec 20. 012 would be today.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  14. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

I like it being a seasonal because then I get to enjoy it more. It's like 60 Minute IPA, I like that it's available all year round, however I'm not buying it as much because I know it'll always be there. I just checked my local place for Lagunitas Sucks and glad they had some, I picked up a couple 6 packs. Enjoying the hell out of one right now.
  15. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

They do a Julian date. Go to "Fresh Beer Only". Sorry I can't post a link right now.
  16. would love to see this in a 500ml bottle
  17. This beer is so legit. My only wish is they keep it in 6 pack format though.
    Horbar likes this.
  18. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I think it's supposed to be a tomato. As in throwing vegetables at a performer that sucks. I could be wrong though.
  19. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Sucks is Surly Abrasive at almost half the cost.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  20. I guess it is...half the quality of beer too...IMO
  21. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Local distributor is balking at carrying it in kegs, hope it does become year round - maybe that will change their minds.
  22. I have to retract any statement I may have made previously about this beer.

This is probably one of the most quaff-able IPA's I've eve drank.
    Just came back from a party - everybody loved this beer - and I'm still drinking it now - amazing shit!
    iSrALE and FishPondManager like this.
  23. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I don't understand why, if I really like a beer, I'd ask the brewery to make LESS of it.
  24. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Brown Shugga now tastes more like DIPA more than a nondescript strong ale. What's up with that? Aren't there enough goddamn IPAs in the craft world? Fucks sake.
  25. Sucks reminds me of Daytime, obviously with more alcohol. Same hop profile, though.
  26. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

This is the best IPA on the shelf right now, and if it's year round will probably stay that way. I've shifted a bit, last year I thought it kinda tasted like Pliny but it doesn't have enough body for that. A grapefruit hit up front and then a little orange/tangerine twist on the finish. I've only had a few bottles, but if you mixed Pliny and 2H Ale half and half you might gets Sucks.
    Pelican5 likes this.
  27. So confused right now. If Heady could meet demand would we ask them to make it seasonal? Jesus h Christ what the hell is wrong with you people!
  28. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I had a couple of bottles this year and I thought it was definitely less sweet than last year's (which is a great thing). paid 1.99 per 12 oz bottle.
  29. im sorry but you said its a strong ale? I thought sucks was an ipa
  30. Sucks doesn't suck that's for sure. It doesn't overwhelm you with sweetness like Brown Shugga does and the hops don't punch you in the face like Maximus does.
  31. I'm still waiting for " Sucks" and if it is is better than Sumpin than wow, it is gonna be addictive because Sumpin is the tastiest hoppy fruit juice I've ever had! I could probably get my wife to drink one of those.
    MichiBrew likes this.
  32. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

You are correct. My post was just a smart ass comment in reference to another thread calling Sucks a Strong Ale. Cheers!
  33. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I like the idea of sucks being year round, but Quart bottles is an awful idea. I can see lots of overpriced quart bottles getting dusty on shelves.
    gueuzehead likes this.
  34. joakley

joakley Zealot (85) North Carolina Aug 17, 2009

Picked up a 6er yesterday. Holy shit! Best Beer I have ever had. Didn't know what I was missing. Love that hop profile.
  35. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

According to their website, the quarts are for a selected market (wherever that may be).
  36. Awesome beer, but I really hate the quart bottle idea.
    bound4er and nc41 like this.
  37. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

No, not really...
    j47paco likes this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Me too, a quart is a commitment when maybe you only want one beer.
  39. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I dont care for that insolent tone.

Theres only one way to settle this. A race around the world. Meet me at the town square tomorrow at noon. The Queen herself shall raise the checkered flag.

Of course this may have be delayed depending on the intensity my hangover.
    Stockfan42 and Overlord like this.
  40. Sucks > The Elder.......
    checktherhyme and FarmerTed like this.