1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Another Sucks thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

My bad, forgot the "imho"
  2. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Anyone find it unique that the initial hop punch falls off so quickly? Makes the beer extremely drinkable for an IPA.
  3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sucks is good, but I wasn't expecting it to be HT or Abrasive either. But if you like a Ca style DIPA and don't want the hassle of trading, Sucks will kinda scratch that itch.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  4. This was my favorite beer of 2011..top 5 all time. Didn't get any of the "Leftovers" here and I've been waiting for this beer for 13 months! Finally had one last night...just as good as I remember! What an amazing brew...my favorite DIPA for $35/case? Yes please!
  5. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Like Flower Power,this beer has a amazing aroma, but doesn't quite deliver on the rest of the experience. Good, but not the beer people rushed into upper echelon status last year
  6. I sure hope you're being sarcastic.
    If not, you are being awfully judgmental, automatically presuming it will be overpriced. Why don't you just wait and see what the price is?
  7. Hopefully the quart bottles will be screw-top so at least you may be able to keep it overnight if you can't finish the entire bottle.
  8. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Has nothing do with Sucks or even Lagunitas in particular. This is simply a function of the way large format bottles are priced in the retail space. Would you be willing to bet that the price per ounce will be equal to or better than the price per ounce of a 6-pack?
  9. Granted, you are correct about the large format bottles being pricier than 12 oz. bottles on a per oz. basis. But saying it will be overpriced is subjective in the eyes of the buyer. I have purchased 6 packs for $10.99 & $12.99 at two places about 20 miles apart. The $12.99 price is $.1804 per oz. The $10.99 price is $.1526 per oz. Of course, I bought more at the $10.99 price because it's a new release and I know it's fresh. There's a store that sells Lagunitas IPA in bombers and 6 pks. Price per oz. on the bomber is $.1814; Price per oz in the 6 pk. is $.1526. I do believe Lagunitas will price the 32 oz. Sucks so that the per oz. price will be as comparable as it is with the IPA. Unless, of course, Lagunitas is again pulling our collective legs with that 32 oz. thing. It does seem a little weird, seeing that they would have to convert a bottling line to even larger bottles than bombers.
  10. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Its odd that part of their reasoning for doing quart bottles is because it would be 'cool' to have them lined up next to the crappy malt 40's. I dont know of any stores in my area that would put a large format craft bottle next to the cheap 40's. They are opposite ends of the cooler, not to mention different categories.

I too hate the thought of a big format bottle for this. Im certain the price per oz. will go up, but even if it didnt, I dont want to commit to drinking three beers when cracking one. Same reason the only time I pick up a growler is if I'm going to a gathering where I know others will partake.
  11. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (125) California Aug 19, 2011

I'm currently on my 3rd sixer of Sucks. The first two with a bottling date of around 12/17 were amazing. The 3rd sixer, which I'm currently 3 bottles through, with a bottling date of 1/2, is not up to par. The aroma is lacking and the beer as a whole is much more bitter, especially the aftertaste. Perhaps it's just me, but something isn't right.
  12. I hope its just you, I just picked my up a fresh 1/2 sixer that I'm saving for this weekend. First sixer was from 12/21 batch and they were excellent.
  13. MarcM

I hope it is too! Please post a reply once you try it. I'm interesting in seeing what others think.
  14. So what julian date is this? [​IMG]

Yes, it's a bottle of sucks, and I spent some time looking up julian date. All I can come up with is day #366. I am guessing I am missing something obvious so I apologize in advance. Just looking for clarity on this date.
  15. MarcM

366 = 12/31. 2012 was a leap year.
    TheRealPour, cnbrown313 and dawatts like this.
  16. That would be the obvious. Thanks, I now feel like an idiot.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  17. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

I just bought a sixer of 12/21 here in WI, and it is unreal! Going to have to run out and grab some more. I hope the last three bottles of that sixer pick up for ya...
    MarcM likes this.
  18. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Good lord...it couldnt possibly change that dramatically that quickly...bottle date is day 354 round here
    ..one of many amazing Lagunitas IPAs imho...
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  19. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

That is a BOLD statement.
  20. Not really. Pliny has remained constant while most other breweries have played catch-up, and Lagunitas has had the hop game on lock for quite a while now.
  21. All of the Julian date calculators I can find online either can't convert that code or turn it to gibberish. The examples they give also have decimal points. Does beer use some kind of alternate Julian date?
  22. kismet

kismet Aficionado (150) Illinois Sep 8, 2011

just had my first sucks about 5 min ago...fine beer, great aroma, hidden alcohol, fresh taste BUT i swear it is SO close to little sumpin sumpin that im not sure i could tell the difference in a blind taste test. havent had LSS for a couple months, but, man, it sure seemed eerily similar. thats ok, cuz LSS is one of my all time favorites, but it still surprised me with the similarities.
  23. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

i love this beer- will buy it happily in any format.
  24. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

This might help:http://www.vpcalendar.net/Julian_Date.html
  25. i agree, bombers by sit with dust while the same beer in 6 or 4 packs are sold out almost instantly. at least by me the 6ers dont last as long as the bombers
  26. It is pretty similar to LSS but I think Sucks has more of a grassy/herbal hop thing goin on in addition to tropical fruit where LSS is all tropical fruit, at least thats what I get. Sucks reminds me of Daytime a bit too, just beefed up. Then again, a lot of Lagunitas beers taste very similar to me.
  27. To further this point, I met the production manager of Lagunitas at the Niners tailgate on Saturday, and he confirmed that the glass company has really dropped the ball on getting the 32oz bottles ready. He said he finally got the model for the bottle in, and he had to put up with some serious BS just to get that.
  28. Just had a few from the 1/2 batch, tastes just as good to me as the others from 12/21.
    MarcM likes this.
  29. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Uhhh. No it is not. Abrasive is stronger, and twice as bitter. That said, Sucks is a wonderful beer and considerably cheaper and easier to find.
    whiskey likes this.
  30. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Had my first Lag. Sucks since early 2012 last night. I love this beer! I hope they end up making it year-round. It will be in my regular rotation for sure.
  31. We just did a blind taste test with PtE, Sucks, Bonyard RPM, Blue Dot IPA, and Fremont IPA . A bartender poured all 5 beers for 6 of us, and we each ranked them in order of best to worst. All beers were fresh.

The results were Sucks, PtE, Bonyard, Blue Dot, and Fremont.

*I know all of these beers are a little different in terms of abv and flavor profile, but I find varying styles of IPAs work well when rated blindly.

*Sucks got 3 top votes while PtE got 2
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  32. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

They're catering to home brewers. I prefer sixers also.
  33. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

PtE at a pub in Spokane?
  34. haha, I wish. No we were in Seattle last week and the Pliny was from a bottle.
  35. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Sucks tastes nothing like Abrasive.

I actually think if you mixed Sucks and Abrasive you'd get pretty close to a Heady clone. Sucks has the peppery/piney taste and Abrasive has the super juicy tropical taste. Mix em up and I think it'd be close to the overall package of Heady.

That said, I wouldn't try it because if I messed up, I'd be out an Abrasive and Sucks. lol
  36. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Since I have the luxury:p , I am drinking Sucks and Abrasive side-by-side as I post this. They look almost identical with Sucks having a little haze and much more carbonation. Aroma is identical with Sucks being must more upfront with its hops (I will describe it as dank citrus). The hop flavor is stronger in Abrasive. Sucks is sweeter but the hop profile is nearly identical but just not as strong. Abrasive is thicker, resiny, and smoother but I prefer Sucks lighter, more spirited body. Abrasive is much more upfront with its hop flavor, but Sucks is much easier to drink.

(I poured the last bits of each together, no change in what I could taste which is no surprise since my tastebuds are now blasted).
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  37. DanE

DanE Savant (400) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

^ This. I thought that Daytime was a "not up to par" batch of Sucks that they released as a "fractional." Pure speculation of course.
  38. I would agree, in theory. Daytime is basically identical to All Day IPA from Founders, though. Its just that our palates are pretty beaten up these days. The low ABV beers dont really do it for me.
  39. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

It is better this year but out of 12 i did get one btl what was completely flat for some reason
  40. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Just drank a bottle from Dec 18, delicious as always.