1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Another tasting order help-Barleywines

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pattermj, Feb 24, 2013.

1. So I have decided I have over done my beer budget and I have a number of beers I want to try but don't want to pop solo. Most are ones meant to be aged but I have multiple and would like to try fresh. As such, I and a friend of mine are going to put in a number of beers and host a tasting with a group of our friends with everyone chipping in to equal the cost of the beers (no actual profit made here, just beer cost and shipping when applicable). So my problem is figuring out my order. Normally I would go strait English to American with alteration based upon % or a few random distinctions. Here though there are a few beers I definitely want to try first even if it screws the normal flavor order. And we will need to take into account the total amount of beer since I am thinking only 6 of us. Here is the list of beers and the order I am leaning towards. Any thoughts/recommendations or opinions?

BA Bigfoot
    Sucaba 2013
    Arctic devil
    2009 Mirror Mirror
    Our Finest Regards
    Monster 2010
    Old Foghorn 8 and 10
    Flying mouflan
    Olde bluehair
    Olde School 2010
    Sisyphus 10-12
  2. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

You may find Mirror Mirror is past its prime. i drank three of them this year..they are super crazy flavorful but fall apart on your palate a bit.
    I d put it near the need.

What year is the Olde Bluehair (makes a big difference) the older the better and the sweeter (and so the later i'd put it)

Id do Arctic Devil and Sucaba early
  3. I'd pay cost to come to that.
  4. I would agree in MM being past, it is my last one. I can push it down but would you push it all the way past the american styles or just to the last of the english? Olde Bluehair is only a 12 I believe.
  5. i'd say that monster is ready for consumption. a couple years is nice, as far as the ones i've had
  6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I'd say regardless of style, drink the ones you really want to be able to taste fully early because by #5 or 6 your palates are gonna be pretty well shot.

For me I'd start with the Old Foghorn because that beer ages so well and should be appreciated. After that I'd go with Mirror Mirror, Arctic Devil, and Our Finest Regards next, based on nothing but what I'd want to drink.
  7. Drink Sucaba first. You don't want to miss out on a single flavor there.
    GrindFatherBob and luwak like this.
  8. Yea Sucaba and BA Bigfoot I think we have to do first just for the flavors. Think Sucaba would be a better first choice or would it completely screw the Bigfoot flavor up? How hoppy compared to normal bigfoot is the BA?
  9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Sucaba is so amazingly flavorful this year...really outrageous...after having had another last night id say driink it first and take your time it opens up dramatically over the course of a twenty degree temp change
  10. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

That BA Bigfoot is the palate wrecker of your lineup-it's just really big in all facets-malty sweetness, bitter hops, and strong barrel character. I wouldn't put it first, maybe last of all the beers you really care about tasting.