1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Another tasting thread

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beertunes, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Interested in North End tasting?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2012.
  1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

6.7%
  3. Depends

26.7%
  1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Draheim, NWer and I have been kicking around the thought of putting together a tasting so we can meet some other BA's and share a few brews. The biggest hurdle seems to be timing and logistics. During the nice weather, we all have stuff we want to do and sitting inside, while enjoyable, can be done during the crappier months. Logistically, we're all kinda spread out, from almost Canadia to downtown Seattle.

If there's enough interest, we want to do a non-whale tasting/bottle share. Is there a time and general area that appeals to anyone interested? Or are group tastings a thing that seem to work better in Seattle itself?

We used to have monthly tastings here in Bellingham, and I've got some non-BA friends who would probably be interested. Thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions and rude remarks welcome.

2. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Interest
    beertunes likes this.
  3. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Thanks Terry. Should be fun.
    beertunes likes this.
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Yeah, thanks for opening this up to the group Terry. As mentioned via BM/"conversation", given my various constraints I'll make it if I can once a date/place have been established.

P.S. isn't a non-whale tasting just called "having a few beers"? ;)
    beertunes likes this.
  5. If I'm in town (planning to do some road-tripping in August), I'm definitely interested. Always enjoy meeting fellow BAs. And I'm in Snoqualmie, so I'm used to having to drive long distances for everything. :) I'm open to any location.
    beertunes likes this.
  6. I like to call it "breakfast."
    beertunes, Smurf2055 and draheim like this.
  7. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (340) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Would be nice. I'm in Shoreline, so I'll watch as a date/location is chosen.
    beertunes likes this.
  8. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I'm down depending on date/location. I'm in Greenlake so obviously Seattle would be the easiest. I have a space at Seattle Wine Storage and they have a tasting room we could use with a nice big table, sound system, tv, computer, etc. Generally open till 6pm on weekends but with enough notice we could go later (though there it would have to be afternoon tasting, been to one there before and I think we started at 1pm).
    beertunes likes this.
  9. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I'm interested. In north Lynnwood/Mill Creek area
    beertunes likes this.
  10. beertunes

Well, here's the general thoughts we've had to this point. We kind of want to do this after the nicest outdoors weather is past, so maybe late Sept/early Oct? I've seen bfg75's post about his tasting at Wine Storage, so that is certainly an option, although we were kind of hoping to keep it more North End, mostly for transpo reasons. I think I can arrange a place in Edmonds, near the train, ferry dock and light rail. Is that a location that sounds good for people? If not, other suggestions welcome. I have Friday and Saturdays off, so I'm looking at a Saturday tasting, this would leave Sunday for football, for Seahawks fans. Comments, suggestions?
    FalconA likes this.
  11. NWer

The primary purpose of this gathering is to get together without any pressure to provide a whale to the cause. Anything off the shelf will do - though something nice from deep in the cellar would be nice too.
    Hell, bring PBR if you have enough balls.
    Personally, I like the idea of Edmonds near the Amtrak stop if such a place is available. Plenty of options for anyone out of town from Bellingham to Tacoma or Olympia to make the trek without risk if they felt like it.
    jpbebeau and beertunes like this.
  12. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Count me in for fall. I'll be back in Bellingham mid September. A north sound location would be awesome, but I'd drive further south (Seattle) if was easier for everyone else.
    beertunes likes this.
  13. I will be in if it's not a Saturday the Huskies are playing.
  14. beertunes

Home game, or any game?
  15. Home game. Might be fun to have an away game on in the background.
  16. NWer

Sure, if it's Notre Dame :)
  17. bfg75

I could do Edmonds...

I have some St. Ides Berry Special Brews I've been meaning to break out of my cellar :)
    FalconA likes this.
  18. Same issue here, but for the COUGS instead. Having Mike Leach as our coach will make the 4.5-hour drive to Pullman much easier in the fall. :) Kind of sucked to get in the car the last few years knowing that you're going to spend all that road time just to see a 66-3 beatdown.
  19. Leech = wins? Ok.
  20. Leach (come on, you can spell it) doesn't necessarily equal wins. But I'm pretty sure hiring him means we won't be getting blown out 5, 6, 7 times a year. I mean, it got to the point under our last coach that we were simply happy to be competitive. We'll win our share. And I think we'll score plenty of points, even if our defense is suspect.
  21. I agree. Hope you are better this year. Leaf!
  22. NWer

Is this Texas humor?:confused:
  23. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

I'm not sure of the travel logistics for everyone, but I'd be happy to let BA's use the facilities at our Taproom in Snoqualmie anytime, just beer mail me.
  24. beertunes

The Huskies have Sept 29 off and are at UofNike Oct 6. Those were about the weekends I kinda had in mind anyway, preferences everyone?

@ Tozerm, thank you very much for the offer. Maybe this time, maybe another time for sure. I've never been to your brewery and have been meaning to get there for a long time. That's why we're kicking this around early, to get these things figured out. I'll keep this thread up for a few more days, and then we'll see where we're at. Thanks for the responses and input all. Cheers!
  25. Sept. 29 is the WSU-Oregon game in Seattle, so I'm out for that date. And the plan is to be in Munich for the last days of Oktoberfest the following weekend. Oh well -- guess I'll have to make the next tasting!

Love the idea of getting together at Snoqualmie sometime (and not just because I live here).
  26. beertunes

I love the idea of a tasting at Snoqualmie as well. Let's make that a "Must Do"! Well, the date for this one isn't set yet, so there's still hope for ya! We'll see how it goes.
  27. I would make the trek from Tacoma for Snoqualmie.
  28. bfg75

I would make it to Snoqualmie if I had enough notice so my wife (and DD haha) could get the day off.
  29. I live in Marysville and could host the tasting if your looking to keep it somewhat north.
  30. beertunes

I think I've got location set, just have to finalize details. I'll try to get everything set by the end of this coming week.
    bfg75 likes this.
  31. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Also interested with enough notice to get work off.
  32. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

I'd love to schedule a BA event at the Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Co. Taproom. What day of the week typically works best for you all? The Taproom is pretty busy Friday - Sunday, so if a little more private and quiet function is in order Monday - Thursday is best. Let me know and I'll see what I can put together.
  33. TheEarl

TheEarl Aficionado (165) Washington Apr 10, 2012

I would also be interested in joining. Seattle would be best for me.