1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

any beers worth bringing to the US from Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by youknowit435, Dec 10, 2012.

1. youknowit435

youknowit435 Initiate (15) Dec 10, 2012

I am currently visiting Australia and have a couple of beer loving friends. Are there actually any beers (or wine or spirits) that are actually worth bringing back to the US from Australia?

2. Cantillon.

3. I can organise a reefer ... if you fill it ...

Jnorton00 likes this.
  4. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Cantillon is always popular. As for local it depends on what you like but Clout Stout is great (though phenomenally expensive), Moon Dog are hit and miss but have some really interesting beers or maybe something like Stone and Wood Pacific Ale which is a great reaction to local conditions.

5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Murray's Anniversary Ale 7.

6. Wild Thing.

7. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

I'll second stone and wood. Also I'm not sure which mountain goat rare breed is still available but those have been good.

8. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Cantillon. End Discussion. Rest of Australia is not in the same league as US or Belgium

9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Apart from the obvious Cantillon, try some Feral/Murray's/Riverside/MoonDog/HopDog/La Sirene

There is good beer to be found in Australia, it just takes a good palate and persistence to find it

If you say what state(s) you're staying in I'm sure you could be helped further.

10. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I hear Lukie's Lambic is a whale.

11. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I'd have to try it before certifying it...

Lukie likes this.
  12. youknowit435

youknowit435 Initiate (15) Dec 10, 2012

I work in the Melbourne CBD so Victorian beers would probably be the freshest/easiest to find.

13. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

Cantillon
    Murray anniversaries/wild thing
    Clout stout
    Horals

14. yankinoz

yankinoz Disciple (65) Australia Jan 6, 2013

Often an Australian craft brewery's most popular beer is an American pale ale in style. Little Creature's Pale Ale and a couple of Squires brews come to mind.

But why carry coals to Newcastle? Get something different. Stone and Wood's Pacific Ale is sort of an APA, but quirky enough with its load of Galaxy hops to stand out.

By the same thinking, if you want to bring back a huge alcoholic beer and are ready to pay astronomical prices to cover the tax bill on them, I too would go with Murray's Anniversary. Nice woody tastes. Clout reminds me a lot of Old Rasputin, good beers to accompany scheming on a bitter Moscow winter night, but niche beers for sure.