1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any chocolate stout suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Feb 5, 2013.

1. The other night I bought a bottle of Rogue's Chocolate Stout to share with my girlfriend and at first she didn't seem too crazy about it, but then I could tell she liked it a lot. She's mentioned it two or three times since then, which she hasn't done with any other beer that I've had her try. So with Valentine's Day coming up, I'd kind of like to find a different chocolate stout to share/give to her. Any suggestions?

2. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

tectactoe, dsal89, RoninTK3 and 3 others like this.
  3. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout tastes like chocolate milk. It's awesome.

4. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout.

5. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

6. Southern Tier Choklat. Very chocolatey, no bitter/coffee flavors that I could detect.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Other than the suggested beers mentioned above, which I liked, Odell Lugene is a good one if you can get it locally.

rfbenavi80, theCoder, hwy395 and 3 others like this.
  8. I'd like to find this Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout. During the Super Bowl I had her try Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and she liked it a lot. She didn't seem to really enjoy any of the IPAs that I gave her much, but so far every stout she's tried has gotten a good response. Which I can be happy with, she was a BMC exclusive when I met her.

acevenom likes this.
  9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

all the above are awesome. if you think your gf doesn't like heavy beers, the organic choc stout is perfect. The most intense is probably the youngs...

10. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

My two favorites are Southern Tier Choklat Stout and Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. I am also a fan of Harpoon Chocolate Stout.

11. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Actually there's no Chocolate in Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. The flavor is achieved with heavily roasted chocolate malt. It is very good though.

LoneJedi likes this.
  12. jman005

jman005 Advocate (505) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

13. iSTi

iSTi Aficionado (140) California Sep 10, 2012

Youngs double chocolate stout with some brownies or chocolate chip cookies.

14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

A chocolate beer article/list from Draft magazine earlier today- http://draftmag.com/features/10-chocolate-beers-to-drink-now/

Here's the contents of the page-
    Saturday saw the annual release (and sell-out) of what is safe to call the beer world’s favorite chocolate beer, Foothills Brewing’s Sexual Chocolate imperial stout. But it’s not the only player in the cocoa game, particularly in the uberchocolaty month of February. Here are the pours to look for now.
    DuClaw Cocoa Retribution and Cocoa Vanilla Retribution: The brewery unleashed these Ravens-inspired beers yesterday; if there are any drops left, you can try to score them at the brewery. Cocoa Retribution is an imperial stout that aged 6 months with cocoa nibs in bourbon barrels; the vanilla version had beans added to the barrel.
    Fat Heads Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout: The brewery debuts this brand-new stout any day now in bottles and on tap (though, sadly, only in Ohio and parts of Pennsylvania). It’s brewed with Belgian dark chocolate and balanced with a bit of vanilla bean.
    SanTan Sex Panther 2013: Colonial Rosewood Cocoa and chocolate malts totally choco-ize this 6.9%-ABV porter, available on tap and in cans; a bit of wheat in the brew softens the mouthfeel.
    Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence: Belgian yeast gives this brew—kind’ve a chocolate stout/Belgian dark strong hybrid—a dark-fruit kick. A 7% ABV smooths out the swallow.
    BridgePort Bear Hug Cherry Chocolate Stout: This new release (both kegged and bottled) features chocolate and roasted malts in a 7.5%-ABV stout, plus 15 pounds of dark cherries per barrel.
    Sixpoint 3Beans: This 10%-ABV canned dark ale is one of the most creative releases of 2013 thus far: Romano beans bulk up the body, cocoa bean husks lend chocolate notes, and a blend of cold-brewed coffee gives the beer classic java flavor.
    Charleville Box of Chocolate: This bottled 10.5%-ABV Belgian-style quad’s the ultimate aperitif: The aroma simply oozes chocolate, and on the tongue, it’s a dead ringer for liqueur truffles.
    Penn Chocolate Meltdown Stout: Pennsylvania Brewing’s latest release is a bottled chocolate milk stout brewed with real chocolate, plus a bit of lactose for a chocolate milk silkiness.
    Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout: This chocolate-flavored import’s down-right sessionable at 5.0% ABV—and perfect for the date who eats strictly organic.
    Rogue Chocolate Stout and Double Chocolate Stout: A dose of oats in these brews softens the mouthfeel of this always-available chocolate beer; the double version has a bit of honey. Both bottles are dressed in a limited-edition Valentine’s Day red for the holiday.

fritts211 and 19etz55 like this.
  15. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Tis the season for ST Choklat!

16. Boulevard Chocolate Ale is worth seeking out.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  17. This

18. CC MZ. Chocolate is not in the name. But it is thick and chocolatey. Yum....

19. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (645) Texas Dec 28, 2012

FBS. Double chocolate coffee oatmeal. Your welcome.

20. Hell ya it does.

RobertColianni likes this.
  21. Terrapin Moo-Hoo if you have access to it..

kirbmeist, Providence, ESeab and 5 others like this.
  22. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Alesmith Speedway Stout. If she liked the Rogue chocolate stout, have her try the Rogue double chocolate stout in the red bottle.

23. Do yourself a favor and try this: Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout.

bookerandy and djsmith1174 like this.
  24. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Harpoon Chocolate Stout. It's primo! Also Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Southern Tier's Choklat Imperial Stout. If you want to venture out and try a Chocolate Porter try Harpoon's El Triunfo. It's tremendous.

25. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Harpoon is tremendous! Had Choklat Tier in a growler. Excellent.

26. Baffled that Founders has been mentioned twice but neither was Imperial Stout?

frankthetank86 likes this.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I have given Southern Tier Choklat to people to try and they have no clue it is considered a beer, just crazy chocolaty decadent goodness.

CORKSCREWFISH and Gannon81 like this.
  28. dep0952

dep0952 Disciple (55) Pennsylvania Jul 26, 2012

Southern tier mokah and or duclaw chocolate rye porter

29. stoney1031

stoney1031 Aficionado (225) Texas Dec 2, 2012

I really enjoy orgies double chocolate stout as well. I would go with Brooklyn black chocolate stout. I have had youngs but for some reason didn't enjoy it as much as he rogue double chocolate and Brooklyn black chocolate stout.

30. stuart3368

stuart3368 Savant (255) Colorado Jan 3, 2011

wife and are drinking a lot of Odell Lugene right now...good stuff if you can get a 4 pack of it.

31. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

SanTan Sex Panther 2013: Colonial Rosewood Cocoa and chocolate malts totally choco-ize this 6.9%-ABV porter, available on tap and in cans; a bit of wheat in the brew softens the mouthfeel.

It's made with bits of real panther so you know it's good. They've done studies you know.......60% of the time it works every time!

32. Danceswithdrums

Danceswithdrums Initiate (15) Feb 5, 2013

Hi, brand new here after lurking. I had a Sam Smith chocolate stout, it was nice but a one and done for me.
    The Brooklyn is killer.

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Came here to say this and yeti. There is still a shit ton on the south denver area. Oh, and also lips of faith chocolate coffee stout.

denver10 likes this.
  34. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

My girlfriend was won over to stouts by Sam Smith's oatmeal and chocolate stouts, so I can't recommend them enough. Unlike others though I would not recommend the Odell's Lugene. I am a huge fan of Odell, and I loved this beer, but I didn't get the chocolate out of it nearly as strongly as I or my girlfriend had hoped! It was much too dark and viscous for her taste. So by all means get some and try it if you like stouts, even give your gf a glass, but I wouldn't rely on it for your valentines gift.

35. I enjoyed Ommegang chocolate indulgance

36. Foothills Sexual Chocolate

dlello2 and KevinGordon like this.
  37. Theobroma by dogfishead

38. not this... sorry. try founders breakfast stout, founders imperial stout, founders kbs, brooklyn chocolate stout, BCBS, yeti. mmm...choc oak aged yeti:eek:

39. Sam Adams does a Chocolate Bock that my wife loves. Sadly it's only available in the 12 bottle variety packs around the holidays...

40. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Rougues DOUBLE chocolate stout, its a red bottle too!