1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any Drie Oude Gueuze headed to CO? Has anyone seen any lately?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ArrogantB, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I know it's not as exciting as chasing 'llons but Armand's gueuze has become quite elusive here. I don't think I've been able to find any for over six months. I did see some 2011 bottles in San Diego last weekend but alas my shipper was all filled with Alpines. I thought I read that we might see some Golden Blend?

2. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

I've given up completely on any 3F and Cantillon purchases in this state. Any bottles that come in seem to be reserved for personal/friends. I was stoked on the Girardin Gueuze that showed up recently and stocked up accordingly...IMO it is the best 'fresh' gueuze we see stateside, that shit is delicious and ready to go!

3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Elite pre-order listed both 750 and 375 as 'out of stock'. Although the Golden Blend 375 is available...for $20/btl cost
    Needless to say, I didn't order any lol. Andre may have, though, at Mile High. Orders are due on the 28th, with shipping being....well, who knows. :rolleyes:

4. ArrogantB

I hear you but don't give up! I randomly came across a bottle of classic gueuze in Denver last month and my buddy got one in Ft. Collins. Having said that, I have also been stocking up on Girardin as well as Hanssens which are both top tier gueuzes.

5. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Last month I was able to pick up a St. Lamvinus & Classic Gueuze 375ml, it's certainly possible. But in terms of Gueuze it's pretty easy to find these around town:
    - Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)
    - Hanssen's Oude Gueuze
    - Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René
    - St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition
    - Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne

I have never seen any 3F on the shelves aside from the Schaerbeekse Kriek

6. Last time I remember seeing 3F on shelves was around the same time you could walk into MileHigh, and buy several of them, plus some Cantillon, without having to ask for it, call 30 seconds after it arrives to reserve, or give out blumpkins to secure a bottle from other stores. So....what, almost 3 years ago now?

b0rderman likes this.
  7. If Oude Gueuze Tilquin was easy to find in stores, it might rectify the Cantillon situation in CO. I'm hoping one day this will come to our state.

doobliebop likes this.
  8. ArrogantB

I've seen Tilquin sitting on shelves at multiple stores in California and Georgia, I wouldn't be surprised if it got the Girardin/Hanssens treatment if it were to come to our state. This would be fine with me as I could leisurely stock up, Tilquin is great.

9. Graviz

Graviz Savant (290) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

I was actually in SD last week and brought some 3F and HOTD back on the plane. Found a lot of it at The Best Damn Beer Store.

10. ArrogantB

Yep, I picked up a Tilquin tumbler at that store. I didn't check any bags though so all I had was a six bottle styro shipper to send home and that was already filled with Expo and Nelson.

11. Prospero

Am I mistaken? I swear I've seen Tilquin in CO... as recent as a month ago.

12. bushmat2

bushmat2 Aficionado (125) Colorado Feb 18, 2011

I don't think tilquin has ever been shipped to the state. I wish. I am sure it will get here sooner than later though.m

13. ArrogantB

Unfortunately we do not get Tilquin here in CO. :(

monty2000 likes this.
  14. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

You can get 3F online at quite a few retailers here in the states, not the best, but not bad if you put in a large shipment.

15. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

Bine and Vine in San Diego being one, their shipping is pretty cheap actually.

16. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Breaking news: There is some 3F Oude Geueze heading to Colorado.

...in my bag from San Francisco. Holla!

+Tilquin +Oud Beersel Oude Geueze +partypartypartygeuezeparty

17. ArrogantB

:cool:

18. Prospero

Well if we were having a party why didn't someone say so, I have 3F Oude Geuze & Vintage 2007 & Golden Blend I could add :D

JustinQ likes this.
  19. joshclauss

Holy thread jack, @prospero. Uhh....in, I guess?

20. Prospero

haha, sorry, yea i can bring 'em to the one after GABF

21. joshclauss

Don't be sorry...I can understand Geueze causing a man to make some very reckless choices.

22. holden303

holden303 Aficionado (150) Colorado Jun 18, 2010

Ordered Golden Blend 375s, will update if we get them in.

23. joshclauss

Golden Blend was available out in SF, but it was two Tilquin Gueuze to one of those...no brainer to me.

24. Prospero

@holden which store?

25. joshclauss

What's interesting being out in Cali is that they get Tilquin, but they don't get Girardin. I also talked with Rami at Healthy Spirits and the guys working The Jug Shop, and both lamented the dearth of Cantillon the same way a store in Denver would. Rami even talked about a time a few years back when he had to return a case, because it just sat there too long! They're clearly not hurting for gueuze stock or selection or generally good beers in SF, but it does make me glad we get Girardin - a great beer. It would be cool to get stuff like Pretty Things and Stillwater, though like they do in CA.

26. Prospero

If anyone is looking for 3F Oude Gueze and Golden Blend, let me know via message. One of the online stores I frequent just got some in stock.

27. Oude Geuze and the notorious Golden Blend are both in the state. It has been too long.

28. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

Super excited! Heading over tomorrow to grab a bottle. :D

29. I'll be grabbing a bottle on Sunday...if there is any left...

30. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Have Oude Geuze 375s and Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vielle on shelves here most of the time...

31. Anybody seen one of these 3F Oude Geuzes in 750ml format around, or is it all 375 these days?

32. Golden Blend is notorious? Why is that?

33. Notorious for the high price point as well as the quality. It's been a big topic of discussion over the trade threads and has been claimed to display a memorable presence as part of Gueuze/Geuze blind tastings. Anything one off from a Lambic producer seems to instantly become notorious these days.

34. I guess I'm used to the original definition of notorious, meaning something that is famous for being bad. Though I suppose these days it has practically become a synonym for "famous".

notorious (nəʊˈtɔːrɪəs)

adj
    well-known for some bad or unfavourable quality, deed, etc; infamous

tacosandbeer likes this.
  35. Nice avatar, btw. I love Sunn 0)))

36. ArrogantB

The price point is certainly notorious. :(

37. The price is the only negative part of this beer. Panopticon is one badass album.

38. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

After having it, even at that price point it's not going to stop me from procuring a couple more.

39. joshclauss

See, Corey, why did you have to post this. Now.....shit. Now I have to get some. DAMMIT!

40. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I'll let you in on the secret...I'm actually paid by Drie to say nice things about their beers. This beer is actually shit and is a total waste of money.

Think about all the Natty Ice you could have with $25...