1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any east Tennessee BAs out there?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by jmw, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I may be moving to the southwest VA area soon and wanted to see if I'll have any like minds to reach out to.
  2. Hey man, what part of VA? Chattanooga here, there's a few of us lurking around here.
  3. jmw

Probably Smyth county or Grayson county. The hinterlands. Beautiful country but I'm afraid I am going to have to open my own beer store just to get decent selection in that area.
    Good to meet you.
  4. rangerred

rangerred Savant (400) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

I live in Johnson City and am quite familiar with the beer offerings of the area. You are right in that there is not a lot to choose from around here. Be sure to check out the Libation Station in Johnson City as well as the adjoining Plaza package store. Both are run by the same owner but due to TN law anything over 6.2% has to be sold in a liquor store. By far the best selection in the area they carry everything that is available in the region. Also have 20+ growler fill taps. Also since you're in SW VA check out Inari wine in Bristol, VA. They don't have a huge selection and are somewhat pricey but you'll find beers that are not available in TN. Finally, the beer mecca of Asheville, NC is only 1-2 hours away so a day trip is easy to manage.
  5. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

If you want to drive to Knoxville, we do good tastings down here every month or so.
  6. jmw

Hey! Good to see someone from State of Franklin's capitol on here! I went to ETSU myself back in the late 90's.
    Familiar with the alcohol laws also, as I worked in the liquor store by Outback during grad school. I never was familar with Libation Station though--may not have been there then. Good tips, and a pleasure to meet you.
    My Google map is showing a Mellow Mushroom in JC. Could that be right?
  7. jmw

Thanks for the offer and I'll keep this one tucked away for future!
    Good to meet you.
  8. I'm in Morristown, TN. I don't go to the Tri-Cities area very much, so I couldn't tell you what's available up there. There are some decent beer stores in Knoxville. I make a trip to Asheville every couple months and stock up - specifically, Bruisin' Ales. Worth the trip.
  9. jmw

Yeah I'm thinking that an occasional trip to Asheville or Boone will be in order. Heard great things about Peabody's in Boone.
    Thanks for checking in and nice to meet you.
  10. rangerred

rangerred Savant (400) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

There is a Mellow Mushroom in Johnson City as well as one in Bristol, VA and each should have different beer selections. Also for breweries in the area check out Depot Street in Jonesborough, TN and Wolf Hills in Abingdon, VA. Both put out some pretty solid brews.
  11. mntlover

mntlover Advocate (500) Tennessee Jun 30, 2003

SW Virginia, I would be sure to hit up Wolf Hills for some growlers Josh makes some tasty brews. All other advise seems right be careful at Libation station wouldn't buy anything there not dated as some stuff has been around for a while.
  12. jmw

Thanks for the tips. I surely plan to visit Wolf Hills and look forward to talking with Josh at length.
    Good to meet you also.
  13. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Wow, I missed this one. I'm a former Knoxville (born and raised) BA, now up here in Chicago. I'm driving down in a week or so to come back to visit. Cheers all!
  14. I am from knoxville, TN born and raised. Just moved back from PA. May I just say I love cask ales/hand pumps/real ales and I a little ticked about not having any in knoxville. I would like to fix this if you have any thoughts about this or can help send me a message. Anyway, if anyone wants to enjoy a beer I will be here.
  15. KentT

KentT Aficionado (205) Tennessee Oct 15, 2008

I live in Athens, TN between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Will talk beer any time.
  16. I'll be in the Bristol area tomorrow night.... any updates to the spots mentioned so far for good beer? Any good spots to eat would be good to know too. Thanks.
  17. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

As JR (Photekut) said we've got a tasting group in Knoxville with a solid stash of rare beers for tastings. Having a tasting today at 2:00 in fact! We'd live to have more people show up to these so contact either of us if you're interested.
  18. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Oh, and I'm from Johnson City and my mom still lives there, I'd be happy to bring something to open with folks sometime when in visiting up in those parts.
  19. carterbt

carterbt Aficionado (200) Virginia Mar 11, 2009

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I'll suggest B&B Package Store in Kingsport as having one of, if not the best high gravity selections in the area. Also, Studio Brew is turning out some great beers. The City of Kingsport hosted a beer and cheese pairing in their honor last weekend. Additionally, their beers can be found (usually) at Stir Fry in Kingsport and 620 State in Bristol.