1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any English speaking BAs going to Toer de Geuze & Zythos?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by fy0d0r, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hi,

I wonder if any English-speaking beer-lovers are planning to attend the
    Toer de Geuze and/or Zythos Beer Festival this April ?

I'm planning to attend both myself and while I'm more or less confident about ZBF, Tour de Geuze is a bit of a challenge as I've heard that it is Dutch-only event.

Maybe we can make some meaningful English speaking group to get the explanations/tours in English rather than Dutch or French ?
  2. Even though nobody has replied yet, there will be tons of English speakers at these festivals, whether they're native speakers or it's their second (or third, fourth, etc) language. I lived in Belgium for a couple years, went to many festivals, and there were always English speakers there, especially so at the bigger festivals like Zythos. Good luck and have fun.
    detroiter likes this.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I know for a fact Jeffo (Canadian living in Holland) is attending. But yes, there will be loads of English speakers.
  4. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

But I speak Canadian...
    Mar02x likes this.
  5. but not very well
  6. That's great.
    I'm more or less confident in getting around with no problems.
    The question was more about if we can form a "critical mass" to get a full tour in English for Toer de Geuze, maybe even convince HORAL (who is organizing the event) to make some English-speaking group(s) ?
  7. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Maybe the Zythos bierfestival. If i go, i promise i probably wont be able to speak a lick of dutch :p
  8. I might not be able to speak English by that time :D
  9. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Some how it seems that the Canadians are just the go to group when no real Americans show up.
  10. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

FTFM
  11. Wouldn't it be closer to British Lite??? Funny spellings and all those extra u's and the r before e deal....
    libbey and Rempo like this.
  12. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

How about the ZeeBra Extreme Beer Festival held in Kapelle on the 4th of May o_O - check it out on Face Book.
  13. fy0d0r -

I know my wife and I will be going to both the Tour de Geuze and Zythos. I have heard similar things about the Tour de Geuze but I just figured I would speak the international language of beer and follow the mass migration of people to get where I need to go. We will be taking one of the buses supplied by HORAL (I think Route 9 but don't quote me on that). Reserving space on the buses started today. I am hoping that even if the buses and tours are in Dutch that I would be able to find a poor soul to take pity on me and help with translations.

T

14. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

If you choose this one; http://www.beerawards.be/toer-de-geuze-tdg-update/
    Than there will be some poor souls on board. I can guarantee you that. :D
  15. I hear I might be on the Gueze bus (bandwagon) as well.
    Also might be bringing two Americans that will not speak any Dutch.
    We are pretty open like that but you guys will have to ride on the back of the bus.
    Mar02x likes this.
  16. The question specifically is whether there will be enough anglophones in attendance to get tours/guidance in English, yes? I can only say that I got some explanations in English at a couple of the places two years ago, not as part of a group (actually I was with a Fleming) but just in informal chitchat. I'm trying to recall about handouts in English... def'ly some of the places had their own printed material in English.
  17. Seriously Erik, you on a geuzue bus. It's time for a new avatar.
  18. Oh my friend, I'll be on that bus bitching and complaining the whole way through. I'll even bring my own beers. It's going to be glorious.
  19. beeraddiction

beeraddiction Aspirant (25) Brazil Mar 15, 2013

I´m attending both festivals, hope to find some of you there!
  20. beeraddiction

beeraddiction Aspirant (25) Brazil Mar 15, 2013

Toer de Geuze > Bus 4
  21. Oh, you will. I'll be the good looking guy sitting next to Thijs.
  22. Shenanigans? Everyone knows Thijs opinion of sours. Are there toilets on the bus?

I'm pumped about Zythos! Two days just doesn't seem like enough time.
  23. SStein

SStein Savant (350) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

I am planning on attending Zythos, and will have my wife, daughter and a friend of ours from the States
  24. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Bummed that I am just missing Zythos, looks pretty incredible.
  25. I will be visiting both Festivals as well
    Decided to rent a car for Tour de Geuze though...
  26. SStein

SStein Savant (350) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

Did the Tour de Gueuze today. Only hit up Gueuzerie Tilquin, Boon, and Drie Fonteinen, all of which where were fantastic. Wished I had stopped at more but with a small child I cut back. Will definitely be hitting up Zythos.
  27. seancake

seancake Aficionado (125) Belgium Sep 23, 2009

Missed Toer de Geuze, will be at ZBF both days EARLY with my wife. I can hardly wait! We've got a spreadsheet made of the beers we will be tasting. :D
  28. JohnfromDublin

JohnfromDublin Savant (480) Ireland May 11, 2004

I will be at Zythos on Saturday - wearing my "Beoir" T-shirt!
  29. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I'll be there, too. Despite the best efforts of NS. I'll hopefully still be wearing shoes when I arrive.