1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any good beers in the Gorham, Portland Maine area?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Charlie_Hoss, Jan 5, 2013.

1. My sister is visiting her friend next week in Maine and I was wondering if there was anything worth having her try to pick up while there. Thanks in advance!

2. plaid75

plaid75 Champion (750) New York Jan 13, 2005

Growlers from Run of the Mill in Saco.

3. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

I live in Gorham. There are no beers here, except in my fridge. Tell her to stop by.

In all seriousness, though, Portland is one of the biggest "beer cities" in America right now. Within a stone's throw you have Allagash, Maine Beer Co., Rising Tide, and Bull Jagger, all of whom make very nice beers (the first two make benchmark beers). You can also get kegs of Oxbow at the Bier Cellar on Forest ave, and they're making the best saisons in America outside of Hill Farmstead in my opinion. The options are pretty endless around here.

In even more seriousness, though, tell her to stop by; with her friend.

tehzachatak likes this.
  4. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I guess it depends: where are you from, so we know which Maine beers you do/don't get? What styles do you like? How far is this friend willing to drive?

Allagash and Maine Beer Co are the obvious first two, readily available in Portland and certainly worth bringing home if you don't get them where you are.

5. haha sk8man121 I will see if they have any single friends for you ;) I am Located in Central Jersey and I am pretty sure the only thing I have had from maine besides allagash and maine beer company. I can honestly say my sister probably will not go too far out of the way but she will respectively look in a couple of places for me. I like IPAs, Stouts, Wheats...im really not too picky just not a huge fan of extremely tart beers. I picked up Bruery Oude Tart and that was too much for me. As far as IPAs go Im up for anything. Thanks for your quick responses!

6. sk8man121

If she's coming to Gorham (USM I'm assuming?), she's only a 15 minute drive from beer nirvana my brotha :)

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  7. sk8man121

Tell her to go to RSVP and Bier Cellar, both located on Forest Ave in Portland. About 12 miles from USM campus in Gorham.

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  8. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

There may still be bottles of the Coolship Resergum at Allagash... hint, hint.

9. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (435) Maine Jan 23, 2010

Hoppy
    MBC peeper, Zoe
    Rising Tide Denmark
    Baxter stowaway ipa

Stouts
    MBC mean old tom
    Rising Tide Ursa minor
    Baxter phantom punch

NJ and Maine share slot of distribution, hut the above should be available at any beer store also whole foods in Portland usually has limited stuff lying about such as bolt cutter and BCBS

mathematizer likes this.
  10. my choices for you would be:

Allagash: Hugh Malone
    MBC: Mo, King Titus, Lunch,
    Rising Tide: Tempest, Zephyr
    Marshall Wharf: Cant Dog
    Baxter: Stowaway IPA, Phantom Punch

11. kaia

kaia Aficionado (205) Maine Jan 28, 2003

In Gorham there is a Brewery and Brewpub by the name of Sebago Brewing Company. Tours at 2PM M-F daily.

12. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

There are fresh cans of Baxter Stowaway IPA available now. Canned on 12/27/12. Just have her check the bottom of the can for the date.

13. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Go find Sebago Bub (Black IPA). It is one of the best examples of the style--Black IPA, American Black Ale, Cascadian Dark Ale, etc.-- that I have ever had. Cheers

14. thanks all, looks like I will be making a list for her to search for some things for me!

15. Keyes88

Keyes88 Savant (290) New Jersey Jul 19, 2011

Have her call you if she goes to RSVP. It is a fantastic store that can be VERY overwhelming to someone inexperienced with craft brew.

16. LostTraveler

have her stop by Bier Cellar on Forest Ave- Greg can def help out.

17. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Ya greg is super knowledgable and helpful. It's that sort of thing the really seperates bier cellar from RSVP

18. LostTraveler

Thats kinda where I was going with that without calling out RSVP... lol