1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any good East Coast IPAs available on the West Coast?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerBeast, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Savant (460) Florida Oct 9, 2012

Anyone know any great West Coast-style IPAs from East Coast breweries which I might find in CA or AZ? Heady Topper etc do not ship out here. Something comparable to Sculpin/Pliny/Enjoy By/Duet etc. Nothing I have had from Dogfish Head, for example, stand up to the best Cali entries.

2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Your post and title are all over the place. Do you want East Coast style IPAs, or West Coast style IPAs brewed on the East Coast? DFH are East Coast style, obviously, so why they would be comparable to Sculpin, et al., is puzzling, and their inclusion in your post very confusing.

To answer what I think your question is, the best west coast style IPAs from out here, at least that I've had, are likely not available in CA. But why do you need them when you have ready access to several of the best exemplars of the style?

KWMiles, sfsean28, balto22 and 2 others like this.
  3. jman005

jman005 Savant (470) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Most solid East Coast IPAs don't get distributed out that far west.

creal92 likes this.
  4. BeerBeast

To be clear: I am looking for IPAs brewed on the East Coast, that are similar to the Cali ones I mentioned. Heady Topper would be an example, but that is not available out here. As for why: because I like trying new ones. ^_^

ryhayes and SMITHAND like this.
  5. OP, if you are a trader I would recommend that you trade for Ithaca Flower Power. You need to insist on fresh bottles since that beer ‘falls off a cliff’ after a short period of time.

Cheers!

P.S. And trade for Heady Topper too!

Errto, Geuzedad, ncstateplaya and 6 others like this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

No

Nugganooch and TwelveOunces like this.
  7. BeerBeast

Perhaps trading is the way to go, thanks!

8. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

shipping out highly freshness-dependent beer across the country to a place that produces lots of great (better?), similar, and similarly-freshness-dependent beer doesn't sound like it makes much sense... i doubt they sell much sculpin in VT, for example.

chimneyjim and fujindemon74 like this.
  9. Troegs - perpetual IPA/Nugget Nectar (not an IPA but a great hoppy Amber)
    Wormtown - Be hoppy/Hopulence
    Hill Farmstead - Pretty much all of their IPA offerings
    I second Ithaca flower power
    Maine - Lunch
    New England Brewing Company - Gandhi Bot
    Lawsons Finest Liquids - Double Sunshine
    Victory - Hop Wallop

10. Oh and if you're looking for a dank lager for those warmer days - Jack’s Abby Hoponius Union

Dizbro21 and sirsteve42 like this.
  11. Speaking for the Seattle area of the west coast, Hop Wallop is the only one available.

kojevergas and Tacoboomerang like this.

12. You've named a bunch of stuff not available to the OP. Nice work.

13. Jack's Abby doesn't make it to Rhode Island, let alone Cali.

Mersh and sergeantstogie like this.
  14. Whoops. I just thought he was looking for good east coast IPA's. People get offended quick on these forums ..my god.

15. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

Trade for Fathead's Headhunter...you won't be sorry.

16. I'm not jumping on you, but he said it in his first sentence...

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I was offended that (a) you couldn't manage to read past the fifth word in the subject line and (b) you left Heady Topper off your list.

18. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

At least it's a decent start for trading wants ;-)

People also seem to like Cigar City Jai Alia IPA and I would add Smuttynose Finest Kind to the list.

But as someone above said, the highly rated east coast IPAs are not typically distributed to the west coast.

19. haha jeez..my bad for making the mistake, next time I reply to something I'll make sure to read it a little more thoroughly as not to cause an uproar. I read it quick and I was bored at work so I took some time to focus on making the list.

20. SMITHAND

SMITHAND Savant (265) Oregon Apr 18, 2013

Its the only way unfortunately.....Not sure where you live, but if you have access to Pliney, that has always been a good bargaining chip for me. Even got some Topper sent out once. That being said, I would shift gears to the MW. Bells, Founders, and Three Floyds beers are pretty accesible, and are much more delicious than what the east coast has to offer in my limited but serious experience.

21. Victory Hop Wallop if you have not had it yet. I prefer it to most "big" DIPA releases.

Geuzedad likes this.
  22. bobbyr5

bobbyr5 Savant (290) Michigan May 17, 2013

Trade for some Michigan IPAs:
    -Bell's Hopslam
    -Short's Huma-Lupa Licious
    -Founders Harvest Ale

Three soilds

Geuzedad likes this.
  23. And I wouldn't put it in the same league as Sculpin/Pliny/Enjoy By/Duet.

sergeantstogie and draheim like this.
  24. BeerBeast

Thanks for all the great recommendations; I have had Hop Wallop a few times, it is quite good!

25. I'm gonna second the OP on the subject. I want to try more east coast IPA's. I've tried trading but all most posts go unanswered as far as trading for any IPA's.

teraflx likes this.
  26. BeerBeast

Who wouldn't trade for a Pliny? LOL

27. Only people willing to trade their BCBS apparently. Have yet to have anyone offer up some IPA's, in particular a Heady.

28. BeerBeast

I would insist on an IPA-for-IPA deal!

Geuzedad and SnowFlowMfg like this.
  29. BeerBeast

Anyway, where do you find people to trade with? Does BA have a thread for this?

30. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Make sure it is fresh. I traded a few months ago for headhunter and it was unbelievable. Traded with a guy 2 weeks ago and it was just plain malty. Now im well aware he just sent me old headhunter and wont trade with him again but insist that it is fresh because it is awesome!

31. sirsteve42

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  32. BeerBeast

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  33. BeerBeast

Is Fat Head's Head Hunter available all over Ohio? My pal is going to Cincy soon, maybe he can score me a bottle.

34. sirsteve42

Not sure if available all over ohio man but definitely worth seeking out a few fresh 4 packs....it is perfect!

BeerBeast likes this.
  35. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

• Start by reading the Beer Trading Rules and Info
    • Post something in the "General / Help" forum if you still have questions
    • Once you've digested all of that, post something in the ISO:FT (In Search Of / For Trade) forum and hope you get a response
    A few tips:
    • If you have a cellar and are willing to trade stuff from it, find the BA listing for the beers you're willing to part with and mark them as "gots"
    • Consider taking note of readily-available, popular beers from your region that have small distribution ranges and mark them as "gots" as well. Examples from CAli would be stuff from Alpine, Ballast Point, Kern, Drake's, Russian River, Alesmith, and Lost Abbey. This can backfire if you set up a trade and can't find the beer, so don't go listing anything that you aren't absolutely sure you can get at your local store.
    • Most people trade $4$ (cash for cash), meaning you each send a roughly equal dollar value worth of beer to each other.
    • Don't be intimidated by all the people "hunting wales" on the forum, and don't set out to try and acquire these beers right away, because you won't have the ammunition unless there's a bunch of equally rare stuff in your cellar.
    • Start by picking a few of the easily accessible beers from this thread and post a thread like, "ISO: Ithaca Flower Power, NEBCO Gandhi Bot, other good East Coast IPA's. FT: (fill in the blank with something that will entice people)"
    • Be aware of the fact that since you are an "unknown entity" with no reputation in the beer trading community you WILL be asked to ship first, and once your trading partner receives your box they will ship out your package. Once you've got a few trades under your belt you can expect both parties to ship at the same time.
    • Last, but perhaps most importantly: COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR TRADE PARTNER! Sometimes shit happens. Maybe your car breaks and you can't get the the UPS store, or your dog gets sick and your beer/shipping budget for the month goes to the vet instead, whatever it is, sometimes life gets in the way and most people are understanding as long as you keep them updated. If you are non-communicative it'll annoy your trade partner, they'll post a "Bad Trader Alert" thread in the forums, and your reputation will go to shit.
    Have fun!

pinnser, JayORear, SatlyMalty and 2 others like this.
  36. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Does anything from the East Coast get distributed to the West Coast?

...not really.

37. BeerBeast

Thanks for the info!

38. Good East Coast IPA is an oxymoron.

Frankinstiener and hwy395 like this.
  39. Saudereth

Saudereth Savant (300) Virginia Feb 21, 2013

DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon is also delicious and shouldn't be too difficult to get for the bigger named west coast IPAs.

40. BeerBeast

Well, I can easily find Hop Wallop, plus many entries from Ommegang and Dogfish Head, plus a few others...